Meietner Audo DS-EQ1 Optical Cartrodge EQ

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Meitner-Audio-DS-EQ1-Optical-Cartridge-EQ.png

Preview: Meitner Audio DS-EQ1 Optical Cartridge EQ​

Preview: Meitner Audio DS-EQ1 Optical Cartridge EQ

Jacob Heilbrunn previewed this “phono preamp” at the Capital Audio Fest and rated it the “Most Significant New Product”. It provides equalization solely for DS Audio optical cartridges. Jon Valin is fond of several DS cartridges as he has explained in the pages of TAS. Ed Meitner discovered a similar fascination: “Initiating a collaboration with Tetsuaki Aoyagi, head of DS Audio, Ed purchased the W2 optical cartridge for development and was impressed during his preliminary listening experiences. Compared to his reference MC cartridge, the W2 exhibited improved resolution, clarity and low frequency response. This motivated Ed to dive back into the world of vinyl playback, resulting in the first EMM Labs optical equalizer, the DS-EQ1, designed exclusively for interfacing with DS Audio optical cartridges.”
$12500

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Two years ago I reviewed the first iteration of a DS Audio cartridge, the DS-W1 “Night Rider,” and though, as you will soon see, several things have changed for the better in the DS 002, the basic operating system remains the same. If I may quote from that review without again being accused of going soft in the head, here is how it works: “The cartridge uses a light source (a miniature LED) that is powered via tonearm cables and internal tonearm wiring by an outboard equalizer/power supply (which you must purchase along with the cartridge and which replaces your phonostage). The record-groove vibrations transmitted by the stylus/cantilever modulates this LED light by means of an ultra-low-mass screen or shutter attached to the cantilever. This modulated light is picked up by the photodiode, which converts the light into an electrical signal, sending it back through the tonearm wires and interconnects to the equalizer/power supply unit where it is RIAA-equalized and amplified into a line-level output"
tas review

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Moving up from the DS-EQ2. I think the EQ2 is fantastic, so I can't wait to hear the EQ1. I am running the Grandmaster cartridge.

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
It was worth the wait. I think the EQ2 is likely the price/performance sweet spot, but the EQ1 adds so much more presence and depth to the presentation if your system supports it. I am over the moon with the DSAudio Optical Cartridge system.

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I have heard that the EQ-1 takes a long time to warm up (24 hours or so). Do folks leave it on, and if you do, do you turn off the power to the tonearm? Appreciate your input.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
In the literature on the DS Audio 003 EQ, they recommend leaving the power on for a minimum of a month, as the substantial Electrolytic “Filter Bank” (330,000 uf), needs a long time time to “break in”.
Not sure if the Meitner is any different, but I suspect it also requires a long time to settle in.
Cheers....

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
That's interesting. I have played a little with this, mostly by accident, and I have not noticed an enormous amount of difference but that may just be my lack of hearing :)

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
I know he does, but honestly i don't notice it doesn't change a lot. But he leaves it on all the time in his office, thats for sure

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
After I installed my EQ1, I left it on 24/7 on the advice of many. I had to turn it off earlier this week due to some power stuff I was having done in the room. It literally sounded awful that night - I was worried something was off with the table or something, but then I remembered this thread and general conversation. Came back the next day and it was significantly improved and the day after that, all was well. Still loving it.

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
After I installed my EQ1, I left it on 24/7 on the advice of many. I had to turn it off earlier this week due to some power stuff I was having done in the room. It literally sounded awful that night - I was worried something was off with the table or something, but then I remembered this thread and general conversation. Came back the next day and it was significantly improved and the day after that, all was well. Still loving it.
Delighted it’s back to your liking. I do leave it on all the time now. I was lucky enough to have Ed Meitner and his crew over last week to our audio club. They make great equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing