McIntosh SACD/CD players

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from Melbourne!

Last weekend I purchased the MCD301 SACD player, and I must say this has been the best purchase I have ever made in my audio history!
There have been so many ups and downs, like a roller coaster ride, had my fingers burnt more than once including having to sell an entire system due to migrating to a different country, and so on...

Finally I am now getting the Absolute sound and all of this happened due to the addition of this CD player. I have used so many sources in the past from BAT, Cary, Musical fidelity, NAD, Marantz, Krell, Classe, Shanlin, Lektor, Audio research, and some I can't even remember. What separates the MCD301 to the rest is the live impact and scale of all the notes that comes through effortlessly, plus the musicality factor is so much there compared to the others.

My Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamp and power amp seem to harmonize extremely well with the MCD301, and the soundstage and level of realism coming through the Quad electrostats is simply remarkable. I didn't except the margin to be this far high since I was using a top notch Weis Dac and transport. I really don't know what the MCD301 does, but whatever it is doing is doing very well and with an extraordinary level of performance.

Just wanted to know whether others out there with similar McIntosh players have experienced the same thing. I also suspect it is due to matching with state of the art pre-power components and the rest of the system's synergy. The MCD301's build quality and componentry layout is another factor worth every penny spent.

The sound is never over-powering either, it just seems to be so life like with the entire group playing in front of you. Specially on the c-j preamp the playback level can be adjusted like a camera lens, giving you just the right amount of focus; once that spot is on target you will be amazed at what is being delivered.

Would be nice to know of other's experiences and points of view. I have also placed the QX4 device from QRT (quantum resonant technologies) right next to the MCD301, was wondering whether this has contributed to the enhanced level of performance as well. All the so called high-end sources I have been using in the past having spent nearly 7 grand on a single Dac, plus another 5 grand on the transport puts it to shame. For under 6 grand this source component from McIntosh seems to beat the competition with finesse. Doubling that figure to 12 grand plus such as MBL CD players is another ball game, but who the hec cares!

Happy listening to all and have a good one.
Cheers, Raj J

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Congratulations on your acquisition!

I have always enjoyed my MDC500. No problems and no complaints. It always makes me smile.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Would be nice to know of other's experiences and points of view. I have also placed the QX4 device from QRT (quantum resonant technologies) right next to the MCD301, was wondering whether this has contributed to the enhanced level of performance as well. All the so called high-end sources I have been using in the past having spent nearly 7 grand on a single Dac, plus another 5 grand on the transport puts it to shame. For under 6 grand this source component from McIntosh seems to beat the competition with finesse. Doubling that figure to 12 grand plus such as MBL CD players is another ball game, but who the hec cares!

Happy listening to all and have a good one.
Cheers, Raj J

Congrats! Are you powering the Mac player thru the QX4 or only have them adjacent to each other? I run wall to QX4 to TA Ref Powerisolator ( I need the plug outlets). Preferred this vs simply running QX4 solo and sitting atop the Powerisolator.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one there!

It seems you know McIntosh quite well as you have quite a set up. Those MC602's must be outstanding!
I used infinity's many years ago. I had two systems: the Renaissance 90's and the Reference Beta series with separate tweeter/midrange panels and bass driver towers. The crossover needed some work after a period of time, hence just got rid of the whole lot and that's about when I began my journey with Magneplanars. Even with the IRS Beta, I had older maggies parked in the corner somewhere. I was driving them with Manley Ref 350 monoblocks, using a Conrad Johnson preamp (pv12). Great sound at the time; for a very brief moment I experienced the Infinity Epsilon speakers, which I wanted to get badly, but ended up with the Ren 90 due to overseas shipping customs issues.

Anyway, I know you are enjoying those IRS V's. They needed good care and attention.
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Good day Keith,

speakers are the Quad ESL 2905 Electrostatic Reference series. Got them around two years ago along with the Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamp about the same time. It's the only ACT2 preamp in Australia ever sold. The previous owner now has upgraded to the GAT preamp.

cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Congrats! Are you powering the Mac player thru the QX4 or only have them adjacent to each other? I run wall to QX4 to TA Ref Powerisolator ( I need the plug outlets). Preferred this vs simply running QX4 solo and sitting atop the Powerisolator.

Thanks for your message mate.

I run the QX4 first from the AC outlet, then into a massive AC power conditioner/voltage stabilizer from THOR, and then onto a distribution power strip with 8 outlets for each component. The entire system receives power through the QX4 first. Since the main wall AC outlet is somewhat next to the CD player, I have managed to place the QX4 right under the MCD301 so that it also manages to condition the preamp as well.
The ideal placement is to have this thing sitting dead centre as a separate component in the rack, but this I cannot do due to lengths in power cable.

I did run a few QX2 units solo next to several components just to try, but this really didn't do much compared to running it powered through AC out first and then down the chain. I have used a power isolator before from 'Best' power made in US. It was a heavy massive unit, but hummed a lot, so much so that sometimes the hum was picked up through my previous maggie MG20's. It also didn't do anything towards the sound or noise floor levels, so I got rid of it, and this is when I discovered the QRT systems from Nordost.

Most of my listening sessions are well past midnight, and with the QX4, plus Thor unit the noise floor is absolutely silent, dead. The only sound I hear in the back ground is the dam fish tank air pump running. Can't stop that, my fishies would konk off...

Are you running more than one QX unit? I was told running the QX2 separately on each channel , plus a QX4 in the centre of the system would be the way to go. I did try this one way or the other after various configs, the result was marginal, plus for the money I thought better save on more music. Each of the QX units cost over 3 grand in Australia, they are expensive! Plus the QX power base with 6 or 8 AC outlets costs nearly 6 grand!

There is one for even 12 grand, and that's the starting price. Imported electronics are always expensive in Melbourne. If they were a couple hundred dollars then certainly I would have several units placed strategically around the system for best results.

There is also a single QX unit that can be plugged in just about anywhere, and this seems to help quite a bit as well.
The main thing with QRT technology is that after placing in several units if there is no "dramatic" improvement in sound, and your systems sounds just fine with simply one QX4 unit, this means your system is fairly well magnetically stabilized, and has achieved it's true potential. This is what the guys at Nordost told me, hence no need to sweat the extra dollars.

Have a good one,
RJ

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Quad ESL with conrad johnson electronics is a great match - and the ACT2 is really a great preamplifier. For long time I owned a premier 9 with an MV125 with the ELS63 and it sounded excellent. Later I also used the ACT2 with the solid state premier 350. Can I ask you what is the amplifier you are using?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your message mate.

I run the QX4 first from the AC outlet, then into a massive AC power conditioner/voltage stabilizer from THOR, and then onto a distribution power strip with 8 outlets for each component. The entire system receives power through the QX4 first. Since the main wall AC outlet is somewhat next to the CD player, I have managed to place the QX4 right under the MCD301 so that it also manages to condition the preamp as well...

...Are you running more than one QX unit? I was told running the QX2 separately on each channel , plus a QX4 in the centre of the system would be the way to go. There is also a single QX unit that can be plugged in just about anywhere, and this seems to help quite a bit as well.
The main thing with QRT technology is that after placing in several units if there is no "dramatic" improvement in sound, and your systems sounds just fine with simply one QX4 unit, this means your system is fairly well magnetically stabilized, and has achieved it's true potential. This is what the guys at Nordost told me, hence no need to sweat the extra dollars. RJ

I use just one from the wall...extremely happy. Not particularly interested in adding more boxes. I have enough already! ;)

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! yes, in that case definitely sounds like your system has achieved its full potential. As the chaps say from Nordost/QRT if there is no real dramatic improvement when using multiple QRT boxes, then all you would probably require is just the one QX4.

Well done mate, enjoy the music!
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
The Quad ESL with conrad johnson electronics is a great match - and the ACT2 is really a great preamplifier. For long time I owned a premier 9 with an MV125 with the ELS63 and it sounded excellent. Later I also used the ACT2 with the solid state premier 350. Can I ask you what is the amplifier you are using?

The c-j power amp is the MV60SE; modified with the new KT120 output tubes from Tungsol. When I first tried these tubes leaving aside the factory supplied 6550C Svetlana's; the overall sound had a dramatic improvement! I immediately posted c-j's Lew Johnson an email along with a note to Ed from service. I think they also received similar positive feedback from others using power amps such as the LP66S and LP125 monoblocks, and LP70S. Thereafter, it seemed like c-j jumped on the idea and Lew admitted the enhanced performance of the KT120 compared to the 6550C.

They have now offered new amps using these more powerful tubes like the classic 60SE, and their new LP125S. The ideal combination would have been with a premier 140 stereo power amp fitted with KT120 tubes. That would have been like a MV60SE on steroids...

Anyway, as far as power drive is concerned, the pure 60 watts that I get from this amp is more than adequate to drive and control the QUAD ESL 2905's. They are big electrostats and have known to shut down certain kinds of amplifiers especially solid state ones, but the MV60SE seems to break no sweat.

The Premier 350 is an outstanding amplifier, it was costing around 15 grand or so, hence I didn't settle for one. I will eventually go for a McIntosh 300 watt stereo very soon. I think the combination of a powerful Mac amp driven with a c-j ACT2 as the front end would sound phenomenal.

Happy to chat anytime, and have a good one.
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The c-j power amp is the MV60SE; modified with the new KT120 output tubes from Tungsol. When I first tried these tubes leaving aside the factory supplied 6550C Svetlana's; the overall sound had a dramatic improvement! I immediately posted c-j's Lew Johnson an email along with a note to Ed from service. I think they also received similar positive feedback from others using power amps such as the LP66S and LP125 monoblocks, and LP70S. Thereafter, it seemed like c-j jumped on the idea and Lew admitted the enhanced performance of the KT120 compared to the 6550C.

They have now offered new amps using these more powerful tubes like the classic 60SE, and their new LP125S. The ideal combination would have been with a premier 140 stereo power amp fitted with KT120 tubes. That would have been like a MV60SE on steroids...

Anyway, as far as power drive is concerned, the pure 60 watts that I get from this amp is more than adequate to drive and control the QUAD ESL 2905's. They are big electrostats and have known to shut down certain kinds of amplifiers especially solid state ones, but the MV60SE seems to break no sweat.

The Premier 350 is an outstanding amplifier, it was costing around 15 grand or so, hence I didn't settle for one. I will eventually go for a McIntosh 300 watt stereo very soon. I think the combination of a powerful Mac amp driven with a c-j ACT2 as the front end would sound phenomenal.

Happy to chat anytime, and have a good one.
Cheers, RJ

Cool! I used to have the CJ MV60! What a great amp! i came so close to getting a second one it was that good! In your case, Wow! SE version and with KT120s! That must be a big improvement on an already tremendous amp...what a beautiful sound. Enjoy!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks mate.

Yes, it is an awesome amp indeed. There are many music lovers here in Melbourne who got to know that I may be going in for a McIntosh SS power amp, hence have offered various bargains to buy my MV60. But no, I will not part with it; it is a true classic that c-j took a great effort of R&D as a replacement to the famous MV50 and Premier 11A. C-J bettered every corner they could think of, as a result the design is so far ahead that it has become a bench mark of a true tube classic.

I have had many powerful tube amps before, ranging from 240 to 400w/ch; they all sounded very good, able to drive virtually anything including the neighbors. But what many of these massive monoblocks lacked was musicality. I was looking for something that was more musical with the power and finesse to drive moderate loads such as 8 ohms or 6 ohms. After having owned a second smaller system for many years a c-j PV12, Premier 11A, using Sonus Faber monitors, this system was by a far margin more musical than anything I had ever owned.

Then when I got my new Quads ESL 2905 nearly 15 years later; I realized these things can be driven very easily with just 60 watts. That's when I discovered the KT120's confirmed by Lew himself would enhance the overall performance of the MV60SE and would drive the Quads with a truly perfect musical match.

He was spot on! I think they know their tubes, after all they've been designing amplification since the 1950's; And still made in the USA!
Those companies such as ARC, McIntosh, C-J, VTL, Manley and the like will always manufacture and design their products with one goal in mind "passion for music".

Many of these great companies cannot meet the cost of labour and parts, as a sad result production is heading overseas, quality control suffers, and so does passion. Some of them just give up and sell off their great heritage/history of building passionate products true to the source of music. Once you lose your manufacturing, you'll never get it back.

Have a good mate,
cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
RJ

Have you ever considered mono blocking with another MV60SE? I nearly did that before going with Gryphon.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
monoblocking with mv60se amps

RJ

Have you ever considered mono blocking with another MV60SE? I nearly did that before going with Gryphon.

Yes, definitely I did, infact for a very short while I tried out their older premier 12's and 8A's with my maggie system, before settling for the Manley Reference 350's. What I learnt from monoblocking with c-j amps is you get more power drive and really the rest stays the same.

That is their musicality, soundstage, high extension frequency, smooth mids and full bass and that signature c-j sound is found on all their classic tube amps. C-J keeps the standard with all their amps, whether it is stereo or mono, to me the sound is the same, which is excellent, it is more the power at your disposal for driving more difficult loads.

Whereas going monoblocks with others such as VTL, McIntosh, Manley and the like, has always been more of everything as you get more power and control as well. This is my opinion, I really didn't notice any significant changes in sound compared to Premier 8, prem 12, & the prem 11A; hence when I got the chance to go with the MV60Se with KT120 tubes I grabbed the opportunity.

Plus now the MV60 is no longer in production.

What I plan to do down the line is get a solid state McIntosh power amp around 300 w/ch and partner it with my Act2 preamp.
I will keep the c-j when listening to vocals and small jazz groups such as Diana Krall, Liz Wright, Casandra Wilson, Melody Gardot, and so on. I would want to use the Mac amp with music from Four Play, George Benson, Sting, Lee Ritneour, Larry Carlton and so on...

Eventually I'd probably go for a smaller pair of monitors from Sonus Faber, and partner then with the MV60SE as I once very much enjoyed when I had the Premier 11A driving a pair of Sonus Faber Amati's - the most musical soundstage I have ever experienced to date!

Obviously the scale is very different compared to the Quad 2905's; but that's a different ball game.
I did monoblock with the Lamm ML2.2's for around 3 months; preferred the MV60se for some darn reason... Also got a good offer on the Lamm's so now I've got some extra cash in hand before making another purchase.

Cheers mate,
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, definitely I did, infact for a very short while I tried out their older premier 12's and 8A's with my maggie system, before settling for the Manley Reference 350's. What I learnt from monoblocking with c-j amps is you get more power drive and really the rest stays the same.

That is their musicality, soundstage, high extension frequency, smooth mids and full bass and that signature c-j sound is found on all their classic tube amps. C-J keeps the standard with all their amps, whether it is stereo or mono, to me the sound is the same, which is excellent, it is more the power at your disposal for driving more difficult loads.

Whereas going monoblocks with others such as VTL, McIntosh, Manley and the like, has always been more of everything as you get more power and control as well. This is my opinion, I really didn't notice any significant changes in sound compared to Premier 8, prem 12, & the prem 11A; hence when I got the chance to go with the MV60Se with KT120 tubes I grabbed the opportunity.

Plus now the MV60 is no longer in production.

What I plan to do down the line is get a solid state McIntosh power amp around 300 w/ch and partner it with my Act2 preamp.
I will keep the c-j when listening to vocals and small jazz groups such as Diana Krall, Liz Wright, Casandra Wilson, Melody Gardot, and so on. I would want to use the Mac amp with music from Four Play, George Benson, Sting, Lee Ritneour, Larry Carlton and so on...

Eventually I'd probably go for a smaller pair of monitors from Sonus Faber, and partner then with the MV60SE as I once very much enjoyed when I had the Premier 11A driving a pair of Sonus Faber Amati's - the most musical soundstage I have ever experienced to date!

Obviously the scale is very different compared to the Quad 2905's; but that's a different ball game.
I did monoblock with the Lamm ML2.2's for around 3 months; preferred the MV60se for some darn reason... Also got a good offer on the Lamm's so now I've got some extra cash in hand before making another purchase.

Cheers mate,
RJ

Great stuff! I used to run MV60 (EL34) with SF Guarneris and actually compared with G with 2805. I liked my Gs and ran them with Velodyne DD18 (in parallel)...a great combination. Not quite the top to bottom fullness of large full-range with sub...but perhaps i should have monoblocked the CJ when i was doing this...plus the KT120s and the SE version would no doubt have also made a great improvement.

Pls keep us posted, as it seems you have some new moves that you are already contemplating!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi mate, thanks for your message.

Yes, agreed SF speakers are one of a kind. There was another brand I was fond of alongside the SF Amatis which were Proac response 3's; they matched extremely well with the Premier 11A. However, after I got used to the Amati's sound, I sold off the Proac's.

Probably your monoblock version of the MV60 with KT120's may have been a better setup, but this is really hard to tell unless you actually try it out.
To me the best classic vacuum tube sound has always been a simple stereo amp designed and hand made by c-j. There really is nothing more you need.

By the way, what does your system comprise of now? pre / power / speakers / source / cables - any other goodies...

What do you think about my plans to combine the ACT2 preamp with a MC302 power amp?
Should I give this second thoughts; would there be something better? probably, I don't know...

Appreciate your suggestions,
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi mate, thanks for your message.

Yes, agreed SF speakers are one of a kind. There was another brand I was fond of alongside the SF Amatis which were Proac response 3's; they matched extremely well with the Premier 11A. However, after I got used to the Amati's sound, I sold off the Proac's.

Probably your monoblock version of the MV60 with KT120's may have been a better setup, but this is really hard to tell unless you actually try it out.
To me the best classic vacuum tube sound has always been a simple stereo amp designed and hand made by c-j. There really is nothing more you need.

By the way, what does your system comprise of now? pre / power / speakers / source / cables - any other goodies...

What do you think about my plans to combine the ACT2 preamp with a MC302 power amp?
Should I give this second thoughts; would there be something better? probably, I don't know...

Appreciate your suggestions,
Cheers, RJ

I think the ACT2 and MC should be great. I now a few people who partner CJ with MC and like it. I am not familar with MC myself personally, though plenty of people like CJ, MC and SF, so that is a timetested formula. The ACT2 is an exceptionally good preamp. Would be curious to know what you think of ACT2-MV60 vs ACT2-McIntosh. The Amatis can use the big power so if you give it to them, you will find they respond...largely in an even more sure-footed base of sound, particularly in the bass and rhythm areas.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
message from RJ

I think the ACT2 and MC should be great. I now a few people who partner CJ with MC and like it. I am not familar with MC myself personally, though plenty of people like CJ, MC and SF, so that is a timetested formula. The ACT2 is an exceptionally good preamp. Would be curious to know what you think of ACT2-MV60 vs ACT2-McIntosh. The Amatis can use the big power so if you give it to them, you will find they respond...largely in an even more sure-footed base of sound, particularly in the bass and rhythm areas.

Yes, as always SF speakers are best sounding when driven with higher power/current etc, also very musical I must say. Ref to Amati's I don't have them any longer, sold them off 7 years ago. What I have now are the QUAD 2905's. When I get my MC302 power amp, I intend to purchase another pair of SF monitors to partner with the MV60se, just as a secondary system to have when listening to solo voice, piano, and small jazz ensembles.

I don't when, but sometime this year. Will keep you updated.
Cheers and enjoy your music.
RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, as always SF speakers are best sounding when driven with higher power/current etc, also very musical I must say. Ref to Amati's I don't have them any longer, sold them off 7 years ago. What I have now are the QUAD 2905's. When I get my MC302 power amp, I intend to purchase another pair of SF monitors to partner with the MV60se, just as a secondary system to have when listening to solo voice, piano, and small jazz ensembles.

I don't when, but sometime this year. Will keep you updated.
Cheers and enjoy your music.
RJ

Yes, sorry, i knew that from earlier posts. I believe the 2905s equally respond well to high current. I wonder what a pair of CJ monos would do there?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing