MBL 6010D Version

Kingling

Oct 11, 2020
Does anyone has experience of differentiate various versions of 6010D preamp? I know MBL has been improving the circuits inside the same chassis, which has no changes over the past 20+ years.

I am very impressed by MBL's sound, you can listen to the music for a long time with 0 fatigue.
Currently the preamp feature is enabled for my Linn player so it can drive my XA160 amp directly without additional preamp. But the sound is a little bit thinner (especially the mid) to my ears.

I would like to give it a try in my system to get a fuller mid, and probably buy a used one. So need to make sure what I get is the latest version of 6010D.

Last edited:

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Does anyone has experience of differentiate various versions of 6010D preamp? I know MBL has been improving the circuits inside the same chassis, which has no changes over the past 20+ years.

I am very impressed by MBL's sound, you can listen to the music for a long time with 0 fatigue.
Currently the preamp feature is enabled for my Linn player so it can drive my XA160 amp directly without additional preamp. But the sound is a little bit thinner (especially the mid) to my ears.

I would like to give it a try in my system to get a fuller mid, and probably buy a used one. So need to make sure what I get is the latest version of 6010D.
Note I am biased. I have not one but two 6010D preamps in two different systems, one with 4 MBL 9010 Amps and the other with 2 9010 Amps. I love the analog nature of the 6010D and the flexibility of the multiple inputs and outputs. Jonathan Valin wrote a great review describing it's sound https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mbl-6010-d-preamplifier/.

Reactions: Lagonda

Kingling

Oct 11, 2020
Thanks for the sharing! I have read that review before, which is very helpful to make my decision.
And now I got one 6010D with 6-digit serial number, which should be later version.

Reactions: Minnesotafats

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing