Matching SET Amps to Speakers

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
What is the most important speaker characteristic for optimising compatibility with low power SET amps - efficiency or impedance/phase angle?

Aug 23, 2021
Both and unfortunately everything.The less watts you got the smaller the choice of speakers become.If you got 50 watt single ended you biggest worry is impedance and phase angle,because 50watt single ended sounds like 500watts.It also depends on the amp some 300b got really excellent drive,it all depends how they are designed.

The less power you got ,the more worries,but not impossible,some people got excellent results with even 1 or 2 watts,but then you have to worry about,the efficiency and impedance and electrical phase angle,just more things to take into consideration .

Big advice,listen before you buy.
Cheers

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
First three small questions, how big is your room? Monitors or large floorstanding speakers? how watt is your favorite SET tube amp?

What I say from my own experience is the Reference 3 A Speakers very well with SET amps, although they only have 91-94 db. because they have no crossover in the bass and midrange, only the tweeter has a capacitor. they work very well with 2A3 tubes, but you need at least 15 watts to hear really loud.
2952390-e03a0ab7-reference-3a-mm-de-capo-speakers.jpg
I had the Reference 3A MM Da capo

Reactions: mtemur

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
First three small questions, how big is your room? Monitors or large floorstanding speakers? how watt is your favorite SET tube amp?

What I say from my own experience is the Reference 3 A Speakers very well with SET amps, although they only have 91-94 db. because they have no crossover in the bass and midrange, only the tweeter has a capacitor. they work very well with 2A3 tubes, but you need at least 15 watts to hear really loud.
View attachment 83622
Nice speakers that I had the pleasure of hearing.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Nice speakers that I had the pleasure of hearing.
Yes. I had a lot of fun with my DIY tube amplifiers and these speakers:)
if you want to get into the top league, you have to take Bastani's Open Baffle Speakers. for me these speakers are among the top 3 speakers I've ever heard.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
And the other 2? ;)
Magnepan Tympani IV powered by 4 Gryphon s100 amps, the attack and the transparency are incredible. I wanted to listen to the TW Acustic tonearm with different pickups, I was at Thomas Woschnik's home. I've heard his Cessaro Beta, the dynamics and bass are as close to life as I haven't heard them anywhere else. I didn't listen to music at home for a week after that so as not to ruin this memory IMG_0074.1.JPG

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area

View attachment 83622
Just thinking about setting up a second system in a 24 sq room using 9W 300B SET. Horns are out of the question.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just thinking about setting up a second system in a 24 sq room using 9W 300B SET. Horns are out of the question.

If horns are out of the question go with devore orangutans and NAF 2a3 integrated which is 10 watts or so. Devore sounded great with both that and airtight 300b and your LPs will flow through, each LP will sound different. The system is very simple and transparent and let's you get into the beauty of the recordings. You need space from the walls and from the sides for the speakers

Reactions: crosswind

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
If horns are out of the question go with devore orangutans and NAF 2a3 integrated which is 10 watts or so. Devore sounded great with both that and airtight 300b and your LPs will flow through, each LP will sound different. The system is very simple and transparent and let's you get into the beauty of the recordings. You need space from the walls and from the sides for the speakers
Was that the O/96 or O/93?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
My recommendation both work very well with 300b, living voice r3r or ibx r4 wonderful timbres and resolution. Or Audio Note AN-E is very emotionally engaging.

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Was that the O/96 or O/93?

96. Much prefer it to both the smaller living voice OB and AN E. AN E actually sound the best with SS. Best I heard them with was Ayre pre and power, the guy was an AN E nut who advised that but it worked

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have also heard orangutans with silvercore 833c 20w, jadis 100w integrated, a German 300b amp running the 520 valves, in the same room as NAF. In another room with kondo overture and in another room with the airtight 300b and el34. It works best in that 10 to 12 watts range. Much better than the Cessaro Wagner in the same room (cessaro you have to go beta and above to get good sound).

Art Dudley had it for 18 months or so before purchasing it, he loved it that much.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Pound for pound the Audiopax model 88 30W/ch will drive just about anything. The problem? It’s timbre lock device. How do you set it absolutely correctly? You can’t. It’s near impossible to get right. There is a way but you won’t like it.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
oh. Zu speakers work brilliantly with Audiopax amps. The Zu guys came to a room I was running at CES back in the day. They were enthralled, stayed for an hour. As did the then CEO of Audiopax Mr de Lima RIP

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
I have also heard orangutans with silvercore 833c 20w, jadis 100w integrated, a German 300b amp running the 520 valves, in the same room as NAF. In another room with kondo overture and in another room with the airtight 300b and el34. It works best in that 10 to 12 watts range. Much better than the Cessaro Wagner in the same room (cessaro you have to go beta and above to get good sound).

Art Dudley had it for 18 months or so before purchasing it, he loved it that much.
Dudley bought the 96 or 93?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't recollect as he has written about both. If you google art dudley devore orangutan you will see a lot of articles.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Bonzo, how much space to the side and to the rear do you think is enough?

A dealer told me that it was important to have 5' to the rear and 1.5' to the side. But I'm not sure if he actually tried it or if he's just talking. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing