Mark Jackson To Coach the Warriors

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Warriors hire Jackson as new coach

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Mark Jackson has agreed to a three-year, $6 million contract to coach the Golden State Warriors.

Jackson, who has no coaching experience, is one more signature hire of new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber. After new executives Jerry West and Bob Myers took over in the Warriors front office, Jackson’s candidacy ascended from a large group of potential head coaches.

The Warriors are dedicated to spending money to hire a strong group of assistant coaches for Jackson, league sources said. New Orleans assistant coach Mike Malone spurned an offer to join new coach Mike Brown’s coaching staff with the Los Angeles Lakers to become Jackson’s top assistant with the Warriors, a source told Yahoo! Sports late Monday night.

Golden State had interviewed Malone for their head coaching position and came away incredibly impressed with him. They were determined to hire him and made it clear that they wouldn’t be denied in their pursuit by offering a significant financial package. Malone has become one of the game’s rising young stars and his hiring is a coup for Jackson.

Jackson played 17 seasons as a point guard in the NBA and most recently worked as a TV analyst. He had interviewed for several coaching jobs without receiving an offer. He was in the running for the Atlanta Hawks job that went to Larry Drew a year ago, and also met with officials from the Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers in recent years.

As he’s pursued a head coaching job from the television chair, Jackson has used the model of Celtics coach Doc Rivers. He had believed the leap was possible. And so had Jackson’s coaching agent, Steve Kauffman, who represented Rivers during his playing career.

“When Doc was 28, I remember telling him that he would be a head coach someday,” Kauffman said Monday night. “And when I got to know Mark Jackson, it felt to me like Doc all over again.”

Jackson replaces Keith Smart, who was not retained by the Warriors at the end of the season. His contract also includes a team option for a fourth season.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I liked his back and forth with Van Gundy .. He will be missed in the booth... Good basketball IQ .. Could become a good coach

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was a Pacers fan in the days of Jackson, Miller and the two Davis'. I was also a fan of Run TMC. This works for me :)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
We really have no way of knowing what kind of coach he will be. There simply is no evidence.

He was a point guard for 17 years in the NBA. He was an undersized point guard who ended up 3rd on the all-time assists list, as such he should be able to relate to both Curry and Monta.

Coaching the Warriors will be a huge challenge. Their entire roster is expendable in trades, although they have some dead weight, e.g., Biedrins, locked in for 2 more years at 10M+, preventing the Warriors from improving the roster through trades or free agent signings. They have no low post presence. They have no legitimate bigs. They don't know the meaning of defense.

Just like the Red Sox were plagued by the Curse for roughly 80 years, the Warriors are plagued by the curse of Joe Barry Carroll. Boston had the draft pick the Warriors wanted to select Carroll. So to get that pick the Warriors traded Robert Parish and a draft pick (which the Celtics used to draft Kevin McHale). Unf%$^ing believable. Robert Parish and Kevin McHale for Joe Barry Carroll. I don't know what it's going to take to break the curse.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Maybe Mark jackson

I agree about no track record but I believe he will be good for the players

So Ron do you think they will trade Ellis and/or Curry
I can't answer that question in a vacuum. Do I think both are expendable in the right trade(s)? Absolutely. For example, if D. Williams does not want to sign with New Jersey, I think that Warriors would trade Curry in a heartbeat. If CP3 makes it known he wants out of New Orleans, I'd trade the whole Warriors team.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am not sure there are a lot of players willing to play for the Warriors . They have been at the NBA basement for so many years ..
I see the Knicks making a move on Deron Williams or CP3 ..Power shifting to the East ... I tend to think with 3 players of that stature ( melo, Amarre and CP3 or Deron ) they are real contenders to challenge the Heat and Chicago which I will bet will try to acquire a scoring presence in the paint a serious, scoring Power Forward .. Who is it going to be?

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Maybe Mark jackson

I agree about no track record but I believe he will be good for the players

So Ron do you think they will trade Ellis and/or Curry

Wish the Knicks has signed him. But Dolan is an unmitigated moron; shows you what happens when Daddy made the money and give the son a toy (the Knicks) to play with. That they even flirt with Isiah Thomas, who totally gutted the team, is an insult to fans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing