Magnapan 30.7 rear wave interference.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I would also connect a small wire across the + n - terminals of your Horns (multiple speakers in the same room, when they are not being used, can passively move (radiate), when your main speakers are being used....
Cheers...
That sounds decidedly dangerous. What if you accidentally turn on the horns amp before the wire removed? Looking for a new amp!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
You might also experiment with toe-in on the Maggies and listen for changes due to the back wave striking the horns differently. Changes to the sound may also be caused by any object (especially as large as those horns!) behind planars. Learned about this with my old Apogee Full Ranges.

Lee

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hello to all . I have a pair of magnapan 30.7 s and stacked horns behind them. I have the 30.7s well clear of the horns about 1.5 meters.I would like to know other peoples opinion if these horns behind the 30.7 s would interfere with the sound of the front Magnapan. When I bought the 30.7s I asked the dealer this question, his answer was no they would not. I have had a mate telling me that I should move the horns out of the room and the Maggie’s would sound better . Please any one I would appreciate feedback on this topic.thanks and cheers to all.
Would you put the horns in front of the Maggies when you play them? I am sure the answer is no so having them behind them is very much the same thing. The speaker sends sound in both directions. I have no owned the speaker you have but I owned at least 6 or 7 pairs of their speakers and what you are doing is a mistake. A word to the wise :)

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Would you put the horns in front of the Maggies when you play them? I am sure the answer is no so having them behind them is very much the same thing. The speaker sends sound in both directions. I have no owned the speaker you have but I owned at least 6 or 7 pairs of their speakers and what you are doing is a mistake. A word to the wise :)
Yes I think your right. The dealer I bought them of told me the horns wouldn’t interfere I guess I will have to move them out of the room and see what the difference in sound is.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Anyone have an idea how much better would the 30.7s sound if I move the horns out of the room.5 percent ?.10 percent? It’s a big job moving out 6 heavy speakers.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone have an idea how much better would the 30.7s sound if I move the horns out of the room.5 percent ?.10 percent? It’s a big job moving out 6 heavy speakers.

Well, I have conducted experiments with mobile phones in and out of the listening room. and even they have a noticeable effect. You just have to try it.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The quality of any audio system is directly proportional to the care one takes in the details of setting it up. Why buy a high end speaker if you aren't going to use it properly. It will make a large difference to do it right and getting that stuff behind it out of the sound field is a really good beginning. Positioning the panels is the next step.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Sometimes you have to accept abit of a compromise to own speakers you love.I have set the 30.7s up as good as possible in my room and they sound very good.i would like to move the horns out and c what the difference is.unfortunately I require 2 different setup of speakers for different types of music.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I do not think it will help. Maggies like everything behind them to be very proportional and measured out to sing. I never did like the plants as diffusers that you see in a lot of set ups. To me they sound the best with a flat wall behind them and if you need to diffuse, the entire back wall needs to be the same material. Physical objects behind them make the panels easily located by ear and the destroys the very magic of them to disappear, my favorite part.
Maggies are very greedy for open space and air, they don't like anything around them. If you provide them with that environment I promise you that you will reach another level that will grab you emotionally. No equipment between them, nothing, give the the whole wall uninterrupted and yes keep them out like you have them.
When you hit the sweet spot it is a lot better than "they sound nice" , it will move you.
They need a lot of fiddeling to get there but its worth it.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I do not think it will help. Maggies like everything behind them to be very proportional and measured out to sing. I never did like the plants as diffusers that you see in a lot of set ups. To me they sound the best with a flat wall behind them and if you need to diffuse, the entire back wall needs to be the same material. Physical objects behind them make the panels easily located by ear and the destroys the very magic of them to disappear, my favorite part.
Maggies are very greedy for open space and air, they don't like anything around them. If you provide them with that environment I promise you that you will reach another level that will grab you emotionally. No equipment between them, nothing, give the the whole wall uninterrupted and yes keep them out like you have them.
When you hit the sweet spot it is a lot better than "they sound nice" , it will move you.
They need a lot of fiddeling to get there but its worth it.
Thanks very much again. I will definitely move the horns out now.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I forgot about this post and I have moved the horns out of the room and there was an improvement in the sound of the 30.7s but not as much as I fort.the bass is now more tight and go’s deeper with more power as the 30.7s are closer to the back wall.the mids and highs are also abit better.the sound is more solid and clicks together better as a whole sound.very happy but the horns will have to go back as I am not giving them away just yet. Thanks to all for your input.cheers

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That sounds decidedly dangerous. What if you accidentally turn on the horns amp before the wire removed? Looking for a new amp!
One should certainly disconnect the amplifiers before shorting the loudspeakers. Shorting the terminals is a tried and tested way of keeping unused speakers in a room from becoming "bass traps".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing