Magico Q1 vs Raidho D1 ...Fight!!

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
Both these Mini Monitors are supposed to be one of the best of the class - ever.

I would be interested to know of their strengths and weaknesses. I guess in the bass, the Magico wins whereas in resolution the Raidho wins?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've heard the Raidho C1.1, and it had very impressive bass. Beats the Q1 easily, in that aspect. And I'd give the resolution edge to the Q1 over the Raidho.
I actually didn't like the Q1 much, or perhaps I'm just not used to a bookshelf speaker anymore, and if I had to chose one of them, I'd pick the Raidho.

alexandre

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
I've heard the Raidho C1.1, and it had very impressive bass. Beats the Q1 easily, in that aspect. And I'd give the resolution edge to the Q1 over the Raidho.
I actually didn't like the Q1 much, or perhaps I'm just not used to a bookshelf speaker anymore, and if I had to chose one of them, I'd pick the Raidho.

alexandre

That is interesting. The specs claim the Raidho C1.1 or D1 goes down to only 50Hz the Magico Q1 goes to 32Hz.

The bass is probably faster and tighter due to the ceramic drivers but is it that deep and powerful as the Magico Q1?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That is interesting. The specs claim the Raidho C1.1 or D1 goes down to only 50Hz the Magico Q1 goes to 32Hz.

The bass is probably faster and tighter due to the ceramic drivers but is it that deep and powerful as the Magico Q1?

How many dB down? It can't be flat.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I haven't seen the C1.1 specs before, and it is indeed claimed only down to 50Hz. Funny, as even though I heard them in different rooms (both medium sized), I got the impression there was a lot more bass on the C1.1. And I do prefer Magico bass on the floorstanding models over just about anything else I've heard this far.

The driver on the Q1 simply doesn't have that much excursion. It starts popping once you play it loudly, so that was another turn off. I heard the new Raidho Ds suffer from the same problem, though...

alexandre

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
A friend of mine has owned both. I have owned the D1. The Raidho speakers to me are more holographic, image better and deeper, and are simply, more musically engaging. The Q series to me just tries to be too perfect and is therefore, IMO, too analytical.

That being said, the Q1 is the only speaker in the Magico Q line I could live with. But I would take the S1/S5 all day long (and probably the S3) over the Q anything....

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Q1 no brainer

The raidho best of the class ???
Supposed to ,....According to who "" the absolute sound":D
I dont think they are on the same comparison level

Last edited:

akatora

Apr 5, 2012
I heard the D1 a couple of days ago and listened to Magico S1 and S5 (on a different occasion). I must say, Raidho is what I am looking for, the Magicos are nice, correct but near as pleasing to the ear as Raidhos. Finally I can FEEL the music, not just sitting and thinking "That´s nice details here and there".

For me, the point of buying speakers is to listen to MUSIC and get engaged, so many systems today are detailed but uninvolving. I don´t want to get a headache when turning up the volume, I am not thinking about Magico per se :)

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Magico is -3dB at 32Hz. Raidho is vague and doesn't specify any limit, just "50Hz".

The Q1 measures +/- 3db; 32Hz to 50KHz; that to me is vague in a bass number. With a +/- 3db the Magico could have a slight bump before rolling off.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
As I understand it the specs from Raidho don't reflect their actual in room performance. I remember seeing in room measurements of C1.1s that go way deeper, can't remember the exact details as it was a while back.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Specs at the bottom end are very dependent on room and system variables. I once had a pair of evolution acoustics micro one in my system. I measured them flat down to 40hz in my system. They aren't supposed to do that. Those that know me, could guess how I did it. :)

I would take the Raidho all day long between the two. But I would throw the EA micro one into the shoutout too. It would compete with either of those speakers.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Specs at the bottom end are very dependent on room and system variables. I once had a pair of evolution acoustics micro one in my system. I measured them flat down to 40hz in my system. They aren't supposed to do that. Those that know me, could guess how I did it. :)

I would take the Raidho all day long between the two. But I would throw the EA micro one into the shoutout too. It would compete with either of those speakers.

Whatever happened to the EA Micro One? Lots of buzz awhile back and very little since. Is there any place to audition it in the New England area?

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013

Do you really think the MicroOnes can compete with those monitors head to head?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
It is always a question of MATCHING i heard the Raidho's D-1s a few times with Jeff Rowland electronics and it was the best bookshelf that i have ever heard BUT this year at the Salon Son Image 2014 in Montreal they where paired with Bel Canto electronics in one room and in another room the smaller X-1 where paired with Jeff Rowland for many audiophiles the less expensive Raidho did a better job, i guess class D is just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It is always a question of MATCHING i heard the Raidho's D-1s a few times with Jeff Rowland electronics and it was the best bookshelf that i have ever heard BUT this year at the Salon Son Image 2014 in Montreal they where paired with Bel Canto electronics in one room and in another room the smaller X-1 where paired with Jeff Rowland for many audiophiles the less expensive Raidho did a better job, i guess class D is just not my cup of tea.

Are you sure the Jeff Rowland isn't Class D??? All but one of his new models you know are.

From Roy Gregory's review of the integrated amplifier:

"On reflection,the fact that the Continuum S2 should be the first such amp to pass muster under the
controlled circumstances of listening at home should
come as no great surprise. Jeff Rowland Design Group
have been working with the core technologies that
underpin this product for some considerable time,
with genuine flagship designs like the 301 and now
the new 825 stereo amp and 925 monoblocks all
operating in class D. The 625 and 725 might use
class-AB output stages, but they too use switch-mode
power supplies and the company’s proprietary
Power Factor Correction technology.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
To get the best out of the Q1's, it is very important to set them up with the right amps and cables. I heard a pair of Q1's paired with a Vitus SIA-025, SCD-010 and Siltech Royal Signature series cables and was stunned by the sonic purity and flow of the music! I was completely drawn into the music which sounded like real music, not a box or drivers. That system showed me what the Q1's are capable of.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

How would you describe the differences between the Raidho, the Q1 and the EA Micro one? Tonal balance, dynamics, extension, coherence, sense of ease, soundstage portrayal, etc. Could you be specific?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing