VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My ethical issues in the industry concern long-term "loans," and the suspiciously high correlation between the number of advertising pages in the magazines and positive reviews of those components in those magazines. I see correlation; I see an argument for suspicion. I am not necessarily suggesting causation.

In contrast, I think accommodation pricing to reviewers who purchase the component under review is extremely informative. Let's say the reviewer gets an accommodation discount of 40%. 60% of a lot of money is still a lot of money! I think Michael Fremer is telling us the honest truth when he suggested that he had to dig very deep to able to buy the Wilson Audio XVX even with an accommodation discount.

I find it valuable information to know that the reviewer put his money where his pen is. I think a reviewer buying a component, even at an accommodation price, says a lot.

It's natural that reviewers want to review things they think they might like. PeterA might enjoy reviewing a cartridge, but I don't think he would be excited to receive an assignment to review a Bluetooth streaming device.

I don't see a problem with a reviewer giving a component a positive review and then buying the component. In fact I like it when the reviewer buys the component! That actually tells me more than a reviewer who gives a component a positive review but then does not buy it.

I might even be willing to put the point more strongly. Between:

A) reading a review and not knowing whether the reviewer bought the component, or

B) not reading the review, and knowing ONLY whether or not the reviewer bought the component

-- I think B) might actually embody more conclusive and concise information than A). (Of course we would miss out on the fun of knowing why the reviewer enjoyed the component so much.)

What do you think? Which gives you a more dispositive, all in one word, data point? A) or B)?

B is too dependent on budget. Very few guys in the budget that Fremer will buy. So B depends on whether the reviewer is in your budget category, and whether he has swapped over to from your product to something else. If Fremer moves from his darts, Mike might want to try the same. And vice versa too, Fremer should try out if Mike moves.

For others in lower budget, they might benefit from what Fremer says about tables in a lower budget range, but doesn't buy, so A.

Key thing with most reviewers is not the review of the product itself, but the mentions in review of other products where the previous product gets mentioned in comparison. That is where the negatives get mentioned

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
More photos here, including a photo of Mr. Lo, the M9 owner in Hong Kong :

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
B is too dependent on budget. Very few guys in the budget that Fremer will buy. So B depends on whether the reviewer is in your budget category, and whether he has swapped over to from your product to something else. If Fremer moves from his darts, Mike might want to try the same. And vice versa too, Fremer should try out if Mike moves.

For others in lower budget, they might benefit from what Fremer says about tables in a lower budget range, but doesn't buy, so A.

Key thing with most reviewers is not the review of the product itself, but the mentions in review of other products where the previous product gets mentioned in comparison. That is where the negatives get mentioned
i owned darTZeel (5 years) prior to Fremer, for my own reasons (resembled the Tenor OTL's but better). and as long as i have cone speakers, which likely is forever, i cannot imagine leaving darTZeel. Fremer's reasons for choosing darTZeel align with mine, but are not necessarily the same. we have spoken about it. his moves and mine (amps/speaker related) are not connected other than accidently......i follow his vinyl musings closely and he influences me there to a degree. happy to admit that.

agree about the value and long term consistency of compares and mentions. it can have value if you are paying attention. i'm sure it can be agonizing for reviewers to navigate but it's the core nugget stuff.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just as an aside Fremer by his own admission lives above his means.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
  • Haha
Reactions: Rhapsody

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Hey guys - I had to wrap up work before the holidays, then travel, then figure out how to transcode over 14 hours of video of the M9 installation, then learn how to use Photoshop and Premier Pro to create a brief <7 minute installation video...whew! that was almost harder than the integration of this complex system!

This system is a friend's - Rudy - who actually has yet to see it - he's on travel. What a joy it will be to walk into the house and see such a transformation... couches moved to the side to place a dedicated listening chair in the room, etc.! I hope he will enjoy it. We still have a lot of things to address, but the M9's were the long pole in the tent (literally)... so the journey begins.

This is a spectacular system and those 20 foot ceilings proportion the M9's and that 80" monitor so well... makes the (4) MSB M500 monoblocks look small!

Check out my compressed installation video:

Enjoy!

Regards,

V2
(V-Squared)M9 Installation

Attachments

• Rudy's System (V2, Yellow Guitar).jpg
    Rudy's System (V2, Yellow Guitar).jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hey guys - I had to wrap up work before the holidays, then travel, then figure out how to transcode over 14 hours of video of the M9 installation, then learn how to use Photoshop and Premier Pro to create a brief <7 minute installation video...whew! that was almost harder than the integration of this complex system!

This system is a friend's - Rudy - who actually has yet to see it - he's on travel. What a joy it will be to walk into the house and see such a transformation... couches moved to the side to place a dedicated listening chair in the room, etc.! I hope he will enjoy it. We still have a lot of things to address, but the M9's were the long pole in the tent (literally)... so the journey begins.

This is a spectacular system and those 20 foot ceilings proportion the M9's and that 80" monitor so well... makes the (4) MSB M500 monoblocks look small!

Enjoy!

Regards,

V2
Thank you VERY MUCH for the excellent video. Great work!!! Beautiful installation. Congrats and thx again!!!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Enjoy!

Regards,

V2
Congrats! With all that $ in that system it might make sense to have a remote control diffuser / absorber above the TV that drops down to block the 80" TV for listening. out of sight and in place when needed.

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
Congrats! With all that $ in that system it might make sense to have a remote control diffuser / absorber above the TV that drops down to block the 80" TV for listening. out of sight and in place when needed.
Probably, but a prime objective in this instance was to immerse in concert videos - and with that 80" monitor... wow, immerse, you can. I was enjoying the Pat Metheny DVD - getting a double dose with both the audio and video, watching Pat master his talent.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Probably, but a prime objective in this instance was to immerse in concert videos - and with that 80" monitor... wow, immerse, you can. I was enjoying the Pat Metheny DVD - getting a double dose with both the audio and video, watching Pat master his talent.
Reminds me of a visit to a friend‘s house. He had a large basement home theatre set-up based around a pair of AG Trios, 3 Unos and 7 subwoofers. Driven exclusively with tubes it was really something. We watched a Tina Turner Concert….Incredible performance by the ageless Diva. She should get a lifetime achievement award if she hasn’t already. The concert closed with a huge drum beat and my very first thought when the clapping and cheering started was about battling the crowd on the way out. While that thought only lasted a second or two I found it quite incredible that it had occurred at all. Audio plus visual is very powerful in suspending disbelief. The problem with stereo hi-fi is the audio v visual mismatch. Very discombobulating which is why closed eyes and dark rooms work so well. But correct that mismatch with something convincing and it’s pretty powerful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing