Magico M9

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
All good, we all have a range of experiences, I’ve never been comfortable with the idea that we’re all here for the same reason or have the same experiences or perception.
Yup. And those who forget the past (myths) are condemned to repeat it

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Of course you may. The beating heart of the system is a correctly set Audiopax Model 88. From there everything glows/flows
I owned the original 88's from Eduardo in 2002. LOVED the amps.

Reactions: Zarir and Cableman

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
As did I. Eduardo came to hear them in my set up. Modestly forbids me to quote his reaction.
He was such a nice guy and what a set of amps he came up with.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
He was such a nice guy and what a set of amps he came up with.
A gem! His timbre lock device for me is the greatest leap forward in amp design in a generation. Totally misunderstood by pretty much everyone who ever tried to set it.

A large speaker brand tried to buy his proprietary bass unit design. He knocked them back. Sadly we may never see his like again. Thought totally out the box.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
What do you use for speakers and for source component? Digital or analog? What kind of music do you like?
I like pretty much all types. Classical jazz pop hard rock soul reggae punk rock n roll too. many genres to mention. Just brought up in music and loved it all my life. Oh and yes digital and analogue.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Most of the customers we are talking about here, via M9 customers have been into audio for 30, 40 or 50 years. They know what they are doing, have had MANY big time systems. They do what they want.

You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.

Telling someone to play at the correct volume that you perceive to be the correct volume, can be a very tricky conversation.

in my experience the correct room volume is dependent on the person's hearing sensitivity. But that's just my experience. YMMV.
I’ve never been into audio despite owning multiple hifi stores and an award winning recording studio. It’s just about the music for me.

That is not a dig at your customers I assure you, just something that I’ve kept to the fore throughout my music career.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I am finding as my systems have improved and have greater resolution, each recording has an appropriate volume setting. Much of this depends on the listening perspective created by the mic placement or engineering/mastering decisions. If the perspective is mid hall, it sounds a bit strange to play it back at front seat volumes, and visa versa. The spatial cues should inform the listener of the proper perspective and thus listening volume.

Then there is also the solo cello or acoustic guitar versus the full orchestra. Does the listener want his/her system to present that realistically or not? So, the room and system choices and set up all factor in, but if things are fairly well matched and set up, and the system is highly resolving, then I have found that recordings have their own optimal or appropriate volume level. It is just more convincing that way, IMO, and thus more enjoyable, as long as the room and others in the house/apartment can handle it.

And then, as Bob writes, the owner's preferences usually trump all else.
Fair do’es. But certainly not in my experience. Are you saying you alter the volume everytime you change the record.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fair do’es. But certainly not in my experience. Are you saying you alter the volume everytime you change the record.
I know you asked Peter, but especially with streaming if I skip around to different tracks, especially for demos I pretty much have to change the volume from track to track as a lot of tracks are recorded at different levels, IF they are from different albums. Sometime up to 3db difference.

And if I pick a volume and then hand the remote to the visitor most times they will change the volume slightly, depending on their preferred volume.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I know you asked Peter, but especially with streaming if I skip around to different tracks, especially for demos I pretty much have to change the volume from track to track as a lot of tracks are recorded at different levels, IF they are from different albums. Sometime up to 3db difference.

And if I pick a volume and then hand the remote to the visitor most times they will change the volume slightly, depending on their preferred volume.
Is that also true of CDs?

one day streaming may sound as good as vinyl but today is not that day

Reactions: XV-1

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
All good, we all have a range of experiences, I’ve never been comfortable with the idea that we’re all here for the same reason or have the same experiences or perception.
Yeh herd mentality is so retrograde. It’s why im not interested in contributing to Hoffmans vanity project. Amine he’s sooooo sensitive dontya fink?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Is that also true of CDs?er

one day streaming may sound as good as vinyl but today is not that day
Different CD's are recorded at different levels. Not all of them but there are some that recorded at a much lower level and the volume needs to be turned up.

I have VG vinyl and VG R2R. They both sound great. I primarily listen to streaming for my musical enjoyment. I've worked for the last three years on my streaming set up. A LOT of times I prefer a streamed album that happens to sound amazing vs when I get a vinyl of the same recording it sounds VERY disappointing. Especially with new alternative type stuff.

For me my vinyl, streaming and R2R are just different and all comes down to the original recordings which will determine if one sounds better than the other. I don't think in the terms of better or best. I just chose how I enjoy listening to music and for me that happens to be streaming. I get how others like vinyl as their main format. Actually my R2R with the Tape Project Master tapes sound amazing. People jaws drop when they hear it.

Streaming has a lot to do with your complete digital chain from the modem>>>switches>>>server>>>dac etc. If they are all primo you can get REALLY good sounding streaming especially with great recordings.

Reactions: wil

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Different CD's are recorded at different levels. Not all of them but there are some that recorded at a much lower level and the volume needs to be turned up.

I have VG vinyl and VG R2R. They both sound great. I primarily listen to streaming for my musical enjoyment. I've worked for the last three years on my streaming set up. A LOT of times I prefer a streamed album that happens to sound amazing vs when I get a vinyl of the same recording it sounds VERY disappointing. Especially with new alternative type stuff.

For me my vinyl, streaming and R2R are just different and all comes down to the original recordings which will determine if one sounds better than the other. I don't think in the terms of better or best. I just chose how I enjoy listening to music and for me that happens to be streaming. I get how others like vinyl as their main format. Actually my R2R with the Tape Project Master tapes sound amazing. People jaws drop when they hear it.

Streaming has a lot to do with your complete digital chain from the modem>>>switches>>>server>>>dac etc. If they are all primo you can get REALLY good sounding streaming especially with great recordings.
A journalist mate has multiple R2R machines but it’s the lack of music availability that puts me off.

Some CDs are well mastered. Some ain’t. I never change the room volume coz that just the exaggerates the mediocrity of poorly mastered CDs. At least at the right room volume (RRV) you get the best these CDs have to offer.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yeh herd mentality is so retrograde. It’s why im not interested in contributing to Hoffmans vanity project. Amine he’s sooooo sensitive dontya fink?
Very revealing… like I said, all good. Enjoy your stay.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
A journalist mate has multiple R2R machines but it’s the lack of music availability that puts me off.

Some CDs are well mastered. Some ain’t. I never change the room volume coz that just the exaggerates the mediocrity of poorly mastered CDs. At least at the right room volume (RRV) you get the best these CDs have to offer.
I don't understand the concept of room volume and having one volume for everything. I don't get it.

If a cd (I don't ever listen to cd's) happens to be recorded at say 3db lower than the last cd you played, I think some are even greater, like between 3-6db lower than a normal cd, and you don't raise the volume for the cd that is recorded at a lower level, for me the lower level recording would not be at the correct listening level.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing