Magico’s New Sound Room

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
It’s the Oakland Bay Bridge. That picture was taken from Yerba Buena Island and thus is not the actual view that Alon has from his office/listening room.
I knew it wasn't a view he has from the factory, having visited there and heard the M9 in the original listening room, but still, how cool would that view be out of any listening room! Thanks for the clarification on the bridge—too many towers and not high enough I figured for the Golden Gate.

Reactions: Daverich4

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Very interesting to see the build out. Thank you for posting. From what I could tell at high-speed, it looked like the implementation focussed on good design, as opposed to exotic materials (licensing super carbon technology ).

Interesting to see both "soft" and rigid fiberglass in various air spaces.

I have hidden a lot of that stuff on the floor behind a bar in the room, inside a stand for the cable tv devices, and inside the walls. Those are all velocity-based solutions, it seems to me. I wonder what they did for pressure? Maybe the room size itself helps a lot. I dream of tall ceilings at night...

Reactions: Bobvin and PeterA

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The Absolute Sound

This week Robert Harley visited Alon Wolf to hear the
flagship Magico M9 loudspeakers in the brand new reference listening room. Robert was very impressed. More detailed thoughts on the sound and technology coming soon!

280762257_5536869652992508_2086975825621694185_n.jpg

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
The Absolute Sound

This week Robert Harley visited Alon Wolf to hear the
flagship Magico M9 loudspeakers in the brand new reference listening room. Robert was very impressed. More detailed thoughts on the sound and technology coming soon!

View attachment 92832
Hey, Mr East, thanks for sharing!

BTW, how tall are those two kind fellows?

vbw,
-a

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
They are both about 6’6” or 6’7”:p

Last edited:
Reactions: ALF

5kywalker

Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom

Looking at the images from the video it looks like the room has been built with venting along the bottom edge and the top edge of the room. In effect helmholtz resonators. One assumes that these boxes will be built to a size and specification that is tuned to trap and absorb bass frequencies that are occurring naturally along the axial dimensions of their room.​

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The room dimensions are 20X32, but the actual hard boundaries are 24X36.

It a bigger room than it looks. Very complex design and construction. There will be videos explaining the room construction in the future. There’s a lot more than meets the eyes.
The room was quite large as I remember it.

5kywalker

Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom
The room was quite large as I remember it.
Thanks Lee. I noted the dimensions from this previous post.

For my taste personally, aesthetically the room is a success. I haven't heard it so couldn't comment in that regard.

Construction wise, I believe that they have built this room within a manufacturing facility, so presumably a false suspended ceiling. And presumably timber stud walls for the original walls prior to the additional acoustic space created within that. This immediately makes the problems and therefore complexity to control those that much greater. But you can see the construction and acoustic principles they have implemented by studying the film. All room designs are somewhat complex, but its certainly an elegant example.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Thanks Lee. I noted the dimensions from this previous post.

For my taste personally, aesthetically the room is a success. I haven't heard it so couldn't comment in that regard.

Construction wise, I believe that they have built this room within a manufacturing facility, so presumably a false suspended ceiling. And presumably timber stud walls for the original walls prior to the additional acoustic space created within that. This immediately makes the problems and therefore complexity to control those that much greater. But you can see the construction and acoustic principles they have implemented by studying the film. All room designs are somewhat complex, but its certainly an elegant example.
I believe, if it's like the original room, they are using 5 or 6 inches of Quiet Rock in the walls.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I believe, if it's like the original room, they are using 5 or 6 inches of Quiet Rock in the walls.
And it is also in a quiet part of the factory, essentially the area of offices.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing