Magico’s New Sound Room

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The last room was described as being near ideal. I wonder why they changed anything. I agree with you that the comparison would be interesting. (...)

There were rumors, not direct communication, that Alon was not fully happy with the previous room, using mainly RPG acoustic treatment. A couple of years ago I was told that they were considering SMT room treatments.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, the ceiling is 12' but 13.5' to the hard boundary.
So the inside dimensions are very close to "Golden Ratio", although the hard boundaries are not...

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
The room dimensions are 20X32, but the actual hard boundaries are 24X36.

It a bigger room than it looks. Very complex design and construction. There will be videos explaining the room construction in the future. There’s a lot more than meets the eyes.
The front wall diffusors are from SMT. One can count there are 8 diffusors. Each SMT diffusor standard length is 60cm. So the total length of diffusOra is 4.8m. Taken into account the end bits, it looks like 18 feet to me.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
The room dimensions are 20X32, but the actual hard boundaries are 24X36.

It a bigger room than it looks. Very complex design and construction. There will be videos explaining the room construction in the future. There’s a lot more than meets the eyes.
Bob,

Is that the original room with new acoustic treatment? Or a completely new room?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob,

Is that the original room with new acoustic treatment? Or a completely new room?
Hi Ken,

The room is located in the same physical space where the old room was located.

There will be more information on the room and how the room was built in the future and why there is "more than meets the eye". OR better yet, if interested schedule a visit with Alon, I'm sure it will be an interesting visit and experience.

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017
my guess is that our own WBF member V-Squared had something to do with this room. at least the power grid portion for sure.

he has a little Magico experience.

I did contribute on the power side - but that was only a small cog in a big wheel, as this was certainly a complex room/ acoustics design (for which I wasn't involved) - but it was very interesting to see it in progress. Key take-away on the power side, was how much each power tweak contributed to the system - just when we'd think it couldn't be improved upon, we were proven wrong as improvements kept coming... very interesting process and glad to have contributed, at least at the foundational level.

V2

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I did contribute on the power side - but that was only a small cog in a big wheel, as this was certainly a complex room/ acoustics design (for which I wasn't involved) - but it was very interesting to see it in progress. Key take-away on the power side, was how much each power tweak contributed to the system - just when we'd think it couldn't be improved upon, we were proven wrong as improvements kept coming... very interesting process and glad to have contributed, at least at the foundational level.

V2
What tweak have you done to the power can share to us please?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I think it was Floyd Toole slwho said “too much diffusion causes confusion.” And that room has a metric ton of diffusion. Maybe someone here who visits can report back on how it sounds.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think it was Floyd Toole slwho said “too much diffusion causes confusion.” And that room has a metric ton of diffusion. Maybe someone here who visits can report back on how it sounds.
my perspective is that one should avoid doing diffusion based on how it looks. you have to try it and listen.

which does not mean that a slick looking room cannot sound 'good'. only that by experimenting and following your ears it might sound much better. and as you get closer to dialing in a room and it gets better, the things taking you further are less intuitive.

agree it's unlikely THAT MUCH diffusion is ideal. but no way to know without playing around. you have to start somewhere. retaining musical energy and tonal purity needs to always take high priority.

in my room i did have to remove diffusion since it was causing my center image to get confused. but it took quite a bit of work before i progressed to a point where that issue was audible. it had been obscured by bigger issues. needed to fix those first.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The main issue with diffusion is that we often call diffusors based on visual analogies or aspect are most of the time poor reflectors and/or poor absorbers. And proper diffusion needs space between the speakers and walls - something that surely will not be a problem in the shown room!

My front wall has deep RPG diffractals (diffusors with large bandwidth) but the speakers are placed 7 feet in front of it.

A great article on diffusion https://keithyates.com/a-matter-of-diffusion/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The main issue with diffusion is that we often call diffusors based on visual analogies or aspect are most of the time poor reflectors and/or poor absorbers. And proper diffusion needs space between the speakers and walls - something that surely will not be a problem in the shown room!

My front wall has deep RPG diffractals (diffusors with large bandwidth) but the speakers are placed 7 feet in front of it.

A great article on diffusion https://keithyates.com/a-matter-of-diffusion/
Intriguing, Micro...your signature no longer includes XLFs? New news?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
At the cost of trivializing, I think, fundamentally, a near field set up solves most of these issues.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
a few observations......

as an ideal listening room, it does look (based on our ability to scale it visually without any reference) narrower than i personally prefer.

OTOH Magico is not big on twin towers, which benefit from width. and likely they will have their gear between the speakers, i prefer to the sides.

it is a similar size to many real world rooms; so that makes sense.
What world do you live in Mike??;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: howiebrou

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Intriguing, Micro...your signature no longer includes XLFs? New news?
Yes, they have now found a new happy owner. I will need a speaker that is not so tall for my new space - it is a larger but vaulted ceiling space.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, they have now found a new happy owner. I will need a speaker that is not so tall for my new space - it is a larger but vaulted ceiling space.
Congrats on the sale...time for shopping! What do you have in mind (presumably if the XLFs are too tall, your Soundlabs are also out!)

- DAW + Subsonics
- Rockport Lyra - could go for a custom 4-speaker (dual tower subs but matching 1.4m high) designed by Rockport
- Rockport Altair 2 - today available for incredible values
- Or something that makes the most of your ML3s??? This could be quite an opportune time? Classic Audio 1.4?
- Other???

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Congrats on the sale...time for shopping! What do you have in mind (presumably if the XLFs are too tall, your Soundlabs are also out!)

- DAW + Subsonics
- Rockport Lyra - could go for a custom 4-speaker (dual tower subs but matching 1.4m high) designed by Rockport
- Or something that makes the most of your ML3s??? This could be quite an opportune time? Classic Audio 1.4?
- Other???

Perhaps something a prospective buyer might hear in the new and improved Magico show room. :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

- DAW + Subsonics
- Other???

The XLF's were easy to sell - they are great sounding speakers and a real value. I will not think about a new speaker until I have moved and lived in the new room for some time.

Although they are very tall and will not look nice in a vaulted space the SoundLab's sound great in vaulted spaces - they have very large full range radiating area and the ratio of direct to reflected sound is vert high. One of the more realistic stereo sessions I had was with a pair of them is a vaulted space at a friend attic, particularly in vocal / instrumental recordings.

Still trying to sell the Lamm LL1 - ML3's - no compatible speaker has interested me. But people seem to prefer laudation to ownership ...

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps something a prospective buyer might hear in the new and improved Magico show room. :p

The "serious" Magico speaker I really appreciated was the Q7 mk2 - there was a large jump in performance between the original and the mk2. Night and day to the XLF, but also excellent.

Reactions: rando

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
clearly we need to open a speaker speculation thread for microstrip, this will be a major forum subject for some time.......

he has to do his part too, at least give us some info on his new space so we can at least guess with a bit of direction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing