Looking for a long-distance trip vehicle. Suggestions?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I'm not an EV hater. I'm a free market guy. let the marketplace pick winners. not my Governor or mob rule in Congress or Hollywood.

legislating technology is crazy.
This I fully agree with. It’s not needed.

Watch the video of the Ford CEO saying how behind and screwed up the legacy manufacturers are.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
This I fully agree with. It’s not needed.

Watch the video of the Ford CEO saying how behind and screwed up the legacy manufacturers are.

look at the Japanese. many of their manufacturers are screwed because their economy is based on auto exports, which with each export market paying EV subsidies only for cars built locally, it will greatly impact Japan. they can't win. this is huge. all this Government subsidy stuff is wrecking the free market and will raise prices and reduce the overall auto market which is a driver for the world economy.

so this whole thing is going to go badly. a cluster if there ever was one.

so careful what you wish for.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
look at the Japanese. many of their manufacturers are screwed because their economy is based on auto exports, which with each export market paying EV subsidies only for cars built locally, it will greatly impact Japan. they can't win. this is huge. all this Government subsidy stuff is wrecking the free market and will raise prices and reduce the overall auto market which is a driver for the world economy.

so this whole thing is going to go badly. a cluster if there ever was one.

so careful what you wish for.
To be clear I’m not wishing for any subsidies. Gov should not be involved.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mercedes Benz s series 4-matic. Preowned. Stretch out your legs and enjoy the ride. It's ICE.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
A lightly used one might be nice, if you could find one! Pretty sure they stopped in 2016 making them.

The new hybrid lightly used might be realistic. I wouldn't be against Porsche as they're more reliable than most.
If towing capacity is important to you the current range of hybrids available won’t cut it. If towing is not an issue a hybrid should be, imo, a serious consideration.

It’s unfortunate that the diesel OBD2 software fiasco destroyed the NA consumer diesel market.

Reactions: Folsom

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Hi, All. I'm the OP; thanks for the replies!
I'm certainly not opposed to electric, although one form or another of hybrid might suit my needs better.
I really like the style and character of the Mercedes GLS, but its reliability reputation among owners is not very good according to the various forums. Also, when I test-drove one it seemed "uninvolving" from a driver's standpoint. The BMW X7 seems a better alternative, but I'm intrigued by the new Lexus TX 550h+, which should be available soon. I may have to wait for one coming off a 12-month lease, though, as it's pushed the top end of my budget.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Hertz to sell 20,000 EVs in shift back to gas-powered cars​

Hertz Global Holdings plans to sell a third of its U.S. electric vehicle fleet and reinvest in gas-powered cars due to weak demand and high repair costs for its battery-powered options.

The sales of 20,000 EVs began last month and will continue over the course of 2024, the rental giant said Thursday in a regulatory filing. Hertz will record a noncash charge in its fourth-quarter results of about $245 million related to incremental net depreciation expense.

The dramatic about-face, after Hertz announced plans in 2021 to buy 100,000 Tesla Inc. vehicles, underscores the waning demand for all-electric cars in the U.S. EV sales growth slowed sharply over the course of 2023, rising just 1.3% in the final quarter as consumers were put off by high costs and interest rates.

“The elevated costs associated with EVs persisted,” Hertz Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr said in an interview. “Efforts to wrestle it down proved to be more challenging.”

hertz-to-sell-20000-evs-in-shift-back-to-gas-powered-cars

but really.....what does Hertz know?

Reactions: gadawg58 and Folsom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi, All. I'm the OP; thanks for the replies!
I'm certainly not opposed to electric, although one form or another of hybrid might suit my needs better.
I really like the style and character of the Mercedes GLS, but its reliability reputation among owners is not very good according to the various forums. Also, when I test-drove one it seemed "uninvolving" from a driver's standpoint. The BMW X7 seems a better alternative, but I'm intrigued by the new Lexus TX 550h+, which should be available soon. I may have to wait for one coming off a 12-month lease, though, as it's pushed the top end of my budget.
I had a GL 350d and now a GLS 350d. Mine is an oddball however in that I believe I was the only one able to spec it with Interior from the designa collection and what MBUSA calls Avantgarde trim. Most crazy was I was able to spec it with the adaptive suspension (the one with the bouncy bounce option LOL) which IMO is a must to have driving dynamics not resembling a tug boat. The GL's air suspension boots were replaced when they finally failed after 7 or 8 years. Not cheap. Other than that both cars at least for now are bullet proof.

Since you are looking at full size, have you considered the Land Cruiser?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
OK lets take the level up a notch as this is WBF .

In the US these are typically listed under family conversion that go about halfway towards what the enterprising captain of Turkish industry picks Ando up in.

The base delivery van personalized by a third party would be something I heavily considered. Get one with drivetrain set up for (relative to being a workhorse) unladen highway miles and still easily carry a few extra pounds of creature comforts. Not hard to accomplish this with the weight low and centered for handling and get enough road aids to feel comfortable kicking back. Major bonus for the driver is you get a seat and position intended for long hauls.

Acres of tinted glass, pass through to one/two row of seating, and separate rear storage is not exactly an unpopular choice among US retirees. Key idea is maximizing livable space while reducing cubic feet of cabin space you actively heat/cool.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Hertz to sell 20,000 EVs in shift back to gas-powered cars​

Hertz Global Holdings plans to sell a third of its U.S. electric vehicle fleet and reinvest in gas-powered cars due to weak demand and high repair costs for its battery-powered options.

The sales of 20,000 EVs began last month and will continue over the course of 2024, the rental giant said Thursday in a regulatory filing. Hertz will record a noncash charge in its fourth-quarter results of about $245 million related to incremental net depreciation expense.

The dramatic about-face, after Hertz announced plans in 2021 to buy 100,000 Tesla Inc. vehicles, underscores the waning demand for all-electric cars in the U.S. EV sales growth slowed sharply over the course of 2023, rising just 1.3% in the final quarter as consumers were put off by high costs and interest rates.

“The elevated costs associated with EVs persisted,” Hertz Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr said in an interview. “Efforts to wrestle it down proved to be more challenging.”

hertz-to-sell-20000-evs-in-shift-back-to-gas-powered-cars

but really.....what does Hertz know?
I’ve gone 3.5 years without spending a single penny in maintenance or repair. Certainly better than an ICE car.

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
ISince you are looking at full size, have you considered the Land Cruiser?
Good point, Jack, and the answer is yes. I used to own a Land Cruiser (uh, maybe 20 years ago...) and I loved its complete competency in just about every area. I'm just not sure that I wouldn't be paying for much more off-road capability than I need.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Good point, Jack, and the answer is yes. I used to own a Land Cruiser (uh, maybe 20 years ago...) and I loved its complete competency in just about every area. I'm just not sure that I wouldn't be paying for much more off-road capability than I need.
just don't own one out of warranty. ouch. i would not allow our dealership to sell used Land Rover's out of new car warranty.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I travel a lot by car (mostly for work). Following a long partnership with BMW & MB products, I opted for a simple Volvo XC 60 T8 -- and I am astounded by how comfortable it is.
OK, so it isn't its flashy as an S class or a Panamera --
but it is very well built (several levels above an expensive MINI my wife used, better than my Merc) and has been reliable so far, and is far more comfortable than the older Panamera -- and surprisingly powerful to boot. It is easy to drive, has excellent roadholding (air suspension) and excellent acceleration - just in case...
It's a hybrid, btw, so those 700 miles won't take you longer due to charging.

Again, this is a totally outsider suggestion -- hardly as prestigious as any of the above (apart from one recommendation above!) -- It's just a Volvo. But it's a 455 hp volvo and it works in freezing cold and high heat.
And it costs less than a pair CH precision monos!

Reactions: ctydwn

Leekg

Jan 17, 2022
Visalia, CA
To the OP, might a rental meet your occasional needs? We're on day two of a two week round trip from CA to MN driving a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. $360/week. Fully equipped including air suspension, which may come in handy as we try to duck the snow storms moving through!

I've been renting for twenty years to accommodate each trips needs - pickup, van, compact, big sedan, or whatever. I let the rental company handle the day to day costs of ownership and we don't have another vehicle sitting around depreciating.

Plus we get to drive the latest tech. This Jeep is a hybrid - the regenerative braking is excellent on the slippery mountain slopes.

Reactions: Holmz

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
just don't own one out of warranty. ouch. i would not allow our dealership to sell used Land Rover's out of new car warranty.

I have scars from St-Range Rover experiences LOL

I did mean Land CRUISER though :)

Reactions: Folsom

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have scars from St-Range Rover experiences LOL

I did mean Land CRUISER though :)
Land Rover/Range Rover....same company. they don't make long enough extension cords for those. price out an extended warranty for a used one out of new car warranty. could exceed $10k. for a very good reason. these are analogous to an EV; you always need to be aware of how far you are from a dealer when you travel. can't get parts. did I say you can't get parts? was on the wrong end of a phone call with customers too many times to talk about. learned my lesson. many issues don't stay fixed. had to buy a certain percentage back. hence, decided to just stop selling them.

beautiful rigs. customers loved them, my salespeople liked to sell them, but it was bad business. and the customers who loved them were the type that wanted them perfect. no winning that situation.

Toyota Land Cruiser is a different thing. mostly those are golden.

Last edited:

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Uhhh…hold the phone on that.

You can see the numbers go either way between Toyota and Y. The bottom line is you have a ~$50k EV in the top 1 or 2 best sellers. You don’t see any $50k ICE up there. People are obviously seeing something they like in EVs. They are not some “weird” thing that the oldies make them out to be.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
I travel a lot by car (mostly for work). Following a long partnership with BMW & MB products, I opted for a simple Volvo XC 60 T8 -- and I am astounded by how comfortable it is.
OK, so it isn't its flashy as an S class or a Panamera --
but it is very well built (several levels above an expensive MINI my wife used, better than my Merc) and has been reliable so far, and is far more comfortable than the older Panamera -- and surprisingly powerful to boot. It is easy to drive, has excellent roadholding (air suspension) and excellent acceleration - just in case...
It's a hybrid, btw, so those 700 miles won't take you longer due to charging.

Again, this is a totally outsider suggestion -- hardly as prestigious as any of the above (apart from one recommendation above!) -- It's just a Volvo. But it's a 455 hp volvo and it works in freezing cold and high heat.
And it costs less than a pair CH precision monos!
Noting the above…
Currently have had the 2023 Volvo xc60 recharge top model “polestar”, and i love it. been 100% reliable. let’s me do all my local city driving on battery power 38 mile range (no special charger needed) and 480mile + hybrid range tank for long 1500 mile road trips (through very remote areas/no charging whatsoever) which we take 6 times a year. the polestar driving mode (hybrid mode off) is incredibly fun and fast for a suv 0-60 in under 4.5. not sure if this qualifies for WBF however

edit: might just be at top end of budget, but ride is totally ‘planted’, extremely comfortable, we take our two dogs and crates and a month worth of luggage and shit w room to spare, and it has tons of safety features which u can enable or disable. this plug-in kind of like a mid/high level class a/b amp?…and the stereo system inside i can listen to a full days drive w no fatigue. tube amp optional. nice +

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing