London Decca Jubilee revisited - combination with SME 3012R ?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes (to your last comment in brackets).

Marc I know it sounds controversial but I don’t think that it would split opinion if naysayers heard it well set up and on song. The issue is the latter is bloody hard and not for beginners.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anyone wants to video their London Ref, no objections from me.
I'm not a fan of this part of the hobby, I'm never gonna take part.
I learn nothing from the video comparos on this site.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Selective quoting, Ked. I guess I learn everything from that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Selective quoting, Ked. I guess I learn everything from that.

Marc, you made a comment you don't learn anything from video. That's fine. But you also said you will never take part. You need to take part to decide if you can or cannot learn.

But that's fine, that is one small thing. What I find more troubling is you had one brief listen with London ref ages ago, but you keep ranting against it. That imo summarizes your lack of willingness to learn in this hobby.

Anyone else would said oh. I once heard it bright, is it not so, where else can I listen to it properly set up.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought Bill's comment might be for me to post videos of my system. Maybe I misread him. It's not my cup of tea. I really get nothing of worth hearing Tang A v Tang B. And I wouldn't post my system for those reasons.
Is that clear?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, you made a comment you don't learn anything from video. That's fine. But you also said you will never take part. You need to take part to decide if you can or cannot learn.

But that's fine, that is one small thing. What I find more troubling is you had one brief listen with London ref ages ago, but you keep ranting against it. That imo summarizes your lack of willingness to learn in this hobby.

Anyone else would said oh. I once heard it bright, is it not so, where else can I listen to it properly set up.
Yep, apologies to everyone re my rant on the London Ref.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought Bill's comment might be for me to post videos of my system. Maybe I misread him. It's not my cup of tea. I really get nothing of worth hearing Tang A v Tang B. And I wouldn't post my system for those reasons.
Is that clear?

It's quite alright not to post videos of your system. Not everyone needs to appreciate videos. It is a small part of the hobby. You are now as clear as a well set up London ref.

Tang's videos are very educational. I don't think people who have no exposure to his components should try to think of his video as an audition to select or eliminate a component, but they are good enough to make one curious of some of his components to try them out when they get a chance.

They also are spectacular in how well they position classical music and quality original pressings.

And yes sometimes they would lead you to the incorrect conclusion, but not if you are sensible enough to use it as a data point rather than the video being the end all (which, tbh is a mistake that some video advocates make as well).

Video is like accompanying notes, and is an accompaniment to the written words of a system/component description. Written words can be even more inaccurate, actually, and have misled so many

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No problem with that.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Marc,

No my comment wasn’t about posting videos. It was simply to say that the “Decca naysayers” are very likely basing their negativity based on having heard a Decca set up badly. It is very easy to set them up wrong and sound etchy, dry, brittle. If you hear one set up well, they can be incredible. The last word in fidelity no, but the life and dynamics exceeds almost every other.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marc,

No my comment wasn’t about posting videos. It was simply to say that the “Decca naysayers” are very likely basing their negativity based on having heard a Decca set up badly. It is very easy to set them up wrong and sound etchy, dry, brittle. If you hear one set up well, they can be incredible. The last word in fidelity no, but the life and dynamics exceeds almost every other.

I think Marc needs to post a few of his videos as penalty for causing such confusion

Reactions: Lagonda
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

then again, one has to put the lid on some components some time
one cannot always return to give stuff another chance, then progress will be impossible in a human lifetime...

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think Marc needs to post a few of his videos as penalty for causing such confusion
Are you talking about Marc’s private videos on Betamax:eek: I’m starting the popcorn machine !

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you talking about Marc’s private videos on Betamax:eek: I’m starting the popcorn machine !

Keep the intake liquid, Milan. You might choke on the popcorn

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
One man and two Zus
I know he has a very personal relationship with his Zu’s, but how far can a man legally go in the
U K :eek:

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know he has a very personal relationship with his Zu’s, but how far can a man legally go i the U K:eek:

As far as (Dominic) Cummings allows

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As far as (Dominic) Cummings allows
Has Sean Casey given him proper setup instructions ? You can hurt yourself if you do it wrong !:rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"The World's Oldest Zu-mer", unfortunately has some lukewarm reviews
"Could only have been worse if they were Raidhos" Bonzo75
"This really needed some Ching Chengs" DDK
"What I would do for a deck of cards" PeterA
"And I thought my marriage was tough" Lagonda

Reactions: BruceD and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing