Let's Talk Computer Audio

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Except for my Mac Pro and the laptop, I built every computer I have in the studio, so I'm well adept at troubleshooting hardware.

I know two people who bought used computers and regretted it. One was used in a cyber crime and they had to hire a lawyer who eventually
proved the computer was bought used. The second person unknowingly bought a stolen computer. Both were out their initial investment and
a helluva lot of aggravation.

Plus the hygiene factor for me would make it a no go.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have tried Foobar too but I do not like the interface.
I like the JRiver interface. It is very flexible.
A nice lightweight player is MusicBee, excellent freeware.

I use that as well. It's nice to have a change at times.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
And I don't see where I'm forcing my choice of anything.

And I wasn't saying you were. I was just agreeing with your statement, and extending it beyond just music collections.

I do have to say that "I keep hearing those reports that .." per definition qualifies as hearsay, unless you have a very different definition for it.

Do you have any, btw? What players have you tested, in what hardware? What can you contribute to this thread?

I have owned and tested quite a bunch of standalone streamers, starting with the original slimp3. I have tested a lot of player programs on linux, but as I stated from the start, my experiences are mostly Linux-based, so I can't really comment on mac-based player programs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I'm lazy with digital which is most of the time :D I use Bitperfect. It is an 8 or 9 buck program by Canadian developers. I like it with iTunes because it just stays out of the way for the most part. I don't need to go into the AudioMIDI set up because it will play every file at its native sampling rate automatically. I don't know what they did with the latest update but to me ver 6 sounded more alive than the ver 4 I had installed. More bloom. Hmmmm. I could be just imagining things. It could also be that new album by Elaine Elias which is pretty neat. As of now it does not support DSD. I use PureMusic for that. Since I have a pitiful number of DSD files, you can guess I don't use PureMusic too often. Hard to go wrong for 8 bucks. I've spent a lot more on Candy Crush IAPs. Grrrrrrrrrr!

prerich

May 21, 2012
I for one endorse PC/Mac audio. I've recently converted my PC into my prepro/single source/and EQ processor. I'm a JRiver user. I've also used mediamonkey before - and for audio its not bad at all.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It is possible that it can bettered sound wise but you will have to look hard to beat it if you output the sound thru a Meridian 808v3 or v5 endpoint DAC.

Don't confuse music lovers with recording collectors. I've know brilliant musicians with far less then 300 cds and absolutely no "high-end" equipment to play it on.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
When I'm lazy with digital which is most of the time :D I use Bitperfect. It is an 8 or 9 buck program by Canadian developers. I like it with iTunes because it just stays out of the way for the most part. I don't need to go into the AudioMIDI set up because it will play every file at its native sampling rate automatically. I don't know what they did with the latest update but to me ver 6 sounded more alive than the ver 4 I had installed. More bloom. Hmmmm. I could be just imagining things. It could also be that new album by Elaine Elias which is pretty neat. As of now it does not support DSD. I use PureMusic for that. Since I have a pitiful number of DSD files, you can guess I don't use PureMusic too often. Hard to go wrong for 8 bucks. I've spent a lot more on Candy Crush IAPs. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Yes, you could. IMHO, this subject is being grossly over-complicated in this thread, but that's what we do; there's just not that much hobby if all we have to do is listen. But I'm convinced that is pretty much it. If you're on the Mac platform, use iTunes, with something like Bitperfect or Pure Music to play hires files at native sampling rates. Run USB or optical out of your computer into the DAC of choice, into your pre. You're done, more or less. May want to get the hard drive out of your listening space if it is loud or you listen at very low levels. This, after all, is a complete computer audio system:

apple-iphone5-25.jpg

Is it the best? No, but plug a really good pair of IEMs in and it's damned good. It's not that complicated.

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, you could. IMHO, this subject is being grossly over-complicated in this thread, but that's what we do; there's just not that much hobby if all we have to do is listen. But I'm convinced that is pretty much it. If you're on the Mac platform, use iTunes, with something like Bitperfect or Pure Music to play hires files at native sampling rates. Run USB or optical out of your computer into the DAC of choice, into your pre. You're done, more or less. May want to get the hard drive out of your listening space if it is loud or you listen at very low levels. This, after all, is a complete computer audio system:

View attachment 10022

Is it the best? No, but plug a really good pair of IEMs in and it's damned good. It's not that complicated.

Tim

Tim, when this threaded started, I predicted it would turn into an endless spider web, like every single computer audio thread I have ever seen going back
ten years.

The problem is this..everyone wants to make their PREFERENCE the definitive case study.

I like FLAC, I like using a network, I like being platform and O/S neutral..that is good for ME..somebody else
may like something else..great..

These threads go from pointing someone in the right direction to flame wars and one upsmanship and I'm smarter than you,
you have no idea what you are talking about, this USB cable is the best type scenarios.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tim

Actually, I don't think it's complicated at all much less being made more so. It is a case about having lots of different ways to skin a cat.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think it's both. CA is completely different from analog. Change carts and you change the sound. Change tubes and you change the sound. Are there a thousand ways to do CA? Sure. Can you compare your rip against a database of rips, and spend a lot of time and money sweating over USB vs coax vs optical? You bet. But in the end, what hits the DAC will be functionally identical and so, then, are overcomplicated and many ways to skin the cat.

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Phelonious touches an important point CA is not that complicated and the differences between the "ways to skin" the proverbial cat do not produce grossly different outcomes the way changing tubes or cartridges do in the analog world... Iow the differences between foobar and media monkey or iTunes range from slim to non-existent

Ripping cd with dbpoweramp is uncomplicated and accurate... The best deal is to use an asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter and just play music from a PC or Mac to your dac ... simple and effective... Should not take 3 hours ...later after njoying the music one can delve in the arcana and ocd stuff we so enjoy..you know bit perfects hires etc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing