Let's Talk Computer Audio

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Didn't Olive rip files to a proprietary format that you could not transfer to another device?

Lee

Originally, yes. I believe they allow for customized back up now. They are unique in that they actually update the product
based on user feedback.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I remember that one company a few years ago offered to rip all the cds when you bought one of their servers. I forget which. Was it Sooloos? I don't see that offer anymore anywhere.

Looked into this for someone once -- there are several companies out there that will rip entire collections in wav, flac or whatever you want. Key is to make sure you get the data properly arranged for whatever your playback software is.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Key is to make sure you get the data properly arranged for whatever your playback software is.

The only problem with that is that whatever software you use today will be something different in 5 years. That is why I am extremely cautious of any proprietary formats or software-specific schemes.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The only problem with that is that whatever software you use today will be something different in 5 years. That is why I am extremely cautious of any proprietary formats or software-specific schemes.

Nothing proprietary or particularly software specific. Just file trees and the data in the right place so that JRiver, iTunes or whatever will import correctly. If you move to a different software platform down the road (or even now), you might have to rearrange things for proper import but that goes with the territory, whoever did the rips.

For example, where Squeezebox Server automatically imported all my iTunes playlists, JRiver requires some work for that to go.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
If you move to a different software platform down the road (or even now), you might have to rearrange things for proper import but that goes with the territory, whoever did the rips.

Sure - the really important part is getting the tags and metadata right. Most software can deal with whatever file names and directory structure you might have as long as the tags are OK.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Sure - the really important part is getting the tags and metadata right. Most software can deal with whatever file names and directory structure you might have as long as the tags are OK.

Yes on the metadata, and some software I've dealt with wants a pretty particular data structure or you wind up having more work to do than necessary.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Yes on the metadata, and some software I've dealt with wants a pretty particular data structure or you wind up having more work to do than necessary.

Good to know - so far I have gotten by with a couple of small readjustments of my directory structure, easily handled with a couple simple shell scripts.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sorry, but I don't have time to find another laptop. The problem is that it is not a trivial task - the key bit of information is never specified - that the two USB ports are independent. So, if you plug a USB DAC into one port, and a USB hard disk into the other port, it doesn't conflict.

The only other laptop I've found to be good is the HP Elitebook 2530P (also long obsolete). It has a single USB port on the right side that is independent of the other USB ports.

Is there an easy way to tell (in Device Manager, perhaps?) whether there are independent USB ports?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Not as far as I know. May be Vincent might have ideas.

I know, for example, that one of the reasons that some implementations sound great is because of the SoTM USB card. My generation 4 machine sounds good because the motherboard had a single independent USB port (not just headers) that was on the motherboard itself that we used for the DAC. I don't know the rational behind why that particular motherboard had a USB port, but it worked great.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Older processor chipsets required a separate controller for USB. The current chipsets have the USB controller integrated into the chipset. For example, the Mobile Intel HM87 chipset controls up to 6 USB 3.0 ports and 14 USB 2.0 ports. The only time you see a separate USB controller is when the motherboard is in a transition time between USB 1.1 and 2.0 or 2.0 and 3.0.

The Toshiba C655-S5339 has dual USB ports integrated into the motherboard like most laptops (and desktops). I've never seen a laptop motherboard that didn't have the USB ports integrated. The Mobile Intel HM64 chipset controls the USB ports and provides support for up to 12 USB ports. One feature of the HM64 is that it allows individual ports to be turned on or off. From looking at the motherboard or knowing its controller I can't see how it would have had a 3rd party USB controller for a single USB port - especially when it only has two ports to begin with and they are both USB 2.0.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Is there an easy way to tell (in Device Manager, perhaps?) whether there are independent USB ports?

In Device Manager, select "Devices by connection" and "Show hidden Devices". The lists should have arrow heads to the left of device names for devices that have children. Click on the arrow heads to drill down. In my case, my path would be

ACPI x64 based PC
Microsoft ACPI-compliant system
PCI Bus
then a couple of USB Enhanced Host controllers (expand both)
generic hub
USB devices

Details vary with OS version and the PC hardware present. You can locate your devices and then try moving them to different USB ports.

Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can we conclude that adding a PCI or similar adapter card with USB ports to a desktop will solve the problem?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
If delivery of bit-perfection is the important criteria (even the only criteria?) for sonics & processors are only stressed 5-6% when playing music, how can using a differnet USB port be of value?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Can we conclude that adding a PCI or similar adapter card with USB ports to a desktop will solve the problem?

This is what the SOTM does. Supposedly, it's an "audiophile-grade" USB card, that goes on a PCI(e) slot, so you don't have to work with the internal USB ports.
Apparently, the good performance of the CAPS machines can be attributed to this card.

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you do, you know for sure this card has its own IRQ and the DAC is the only device using it.
This is what the SOTM does. Supposedly, it's an "audiophile-grade" USB card, that goes on a PCI(e) slot, so you don't have to work with the internal USB ports.
Apparently, the good performance of the CAPS machines can be attributed to this card.
alexandre

Thanks. So this is the "secret" and basic ingredient of good computer audio sound?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing