LDMS Server

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Nice, I recently bought a pair of FP 12. Very pleased so far.I guess you have som more bass now
Well interestingly, yes and no. At first the experience was that, if anything, the bass seemed to be lacking and the treble was overly bright. Not brittle, but the balance was a little off between the bass and treble, making the presentation a little too forward.

Once the speakers had settled down a little, the bass came back but the experience of it was very different to the FP10s I have had for the last three years. Part of the experience is explained by what I had become used to; bass that was less well defined, less tuneful and lacking in structure. I never felt there was a lack of bass energy in my room from the FP10s but I now realise that a) that energy was poorly structured; everything from about 150Hz to 50Hz was rather smeared together and lacked any kind of discrete structure, and b) the FP10s were doing this because they were actually over energising the room with bass energy. I'd grown used to that so at first the FP15s sounded a little alien.

The bass response is now musical rather than purely energetic and is much more pleasing as a result. The power supply to the LDMS server created a much better balance between mid/treble and bass in my room with these speakers but I still need to tweak things a little and find a way of managing down the brightness just a shade.

I'm thinking that either moving from the 242 output tubes I have in the Lampi to something like a Type 45 (if I can ever find any!) or changing the speaker cables will do the trick. The cables I have now are High Fidelity CT1s, which were selected because they brought brightness and clarity to the otherwise dark sounding FP10s. I also have a High Fidelity CT1-Ultimate interconnect between the pre and the monobloc power amps, which could also be adding to the problem, but since that cable retailed new for £7k+ and I got it for £2k, replacing it with something as good but more temperately tuned to my system is an investment grade I just cannot stomach at this point!

Reactions: Magnuska

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Well interestingly, yes and no. At first the experience was that, if anything, the bass seemed to be lacking and the treble was overly bright. Not brittle, but the balance was a little off between the bass and treble, making the presentation a little too forward.

Once the speakers had settled down a little, the bass came back but the experience of it was very different to the FP10s I have had for the last three years. Part of the experience is explained by what I had become used to; bass that was less well defined, less tuneful and lacking in structure. I never felt there was a lack of bass energy in my room from the FP10s but I now realise that a) that energy was poorly structured; everything from about 150Hz to 50Hz was rather smeared together and lacked any kind of discrete structure, and b) the FP10s were doing this because they were actually over energising the room with bass energy. I'd grown used to that so at first the FP15s sounded a little alien.

The bass response is now musical rather than purely energetic and is much more pleasing as a result. The power supply to the LDMS server created a much better balance between mid/treble and bass in my room with these speakers but I still need to tweak things a little and find a way of managing down the brightness just a shade.

I'm thinking that either moving from the 242 output tubes I have in the Lampi to something like a Type 45 (if I can ever find any!) or changing the speaker cables will do the trick. The cables I have now are High Fidelity CT1s, which were selected because they brought brightness and clarity to the otherwise dark sounding FP10s. I also have a High Fidelity CT1-Ultimate interconnect between the pre and the monobloc power amps, which could also be adding to the problem, but since that cable retailed new for £7k+ and I got it for £2k, replacing it with something as good but more temperately tuned to my system is an investment grade I just cannot stomach at this point!
What amp do you use?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
If you want to talk about LDMS speakers, shouldn’t that take its own thread?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for clarifying. The sense remains the same to keep the thread on topic.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Please be aware that every post goes out to all that have chosen to follow the stated subject, and that to continue following that subject it’s not enough to delete email notifications, but also to actually open the thread. Posting calls for awareness of that side of things too.

Now back to music servers…

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I am still on record as saying my LDMS is one of the most important components in my system. There, we are back on track!

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I am still on record as saying my LDMS is one of the most important components in my system. There, we are back on track!
So... Why?

I had a Pi4 basestreamer. It was clean. I got an Aurender N100H. Big improvement...but it has a good power supply. After having it a while, I definitely appriciate not having to deal with pi OS and Linux. Not that it was a big deal, but a much more normal polished product from Aurender.

I looked at LDMS pretty hard with all the rave reviews. Not that it was competing with Aurender. I just got that used at a decent price and wanted to know if it was better than what I had... It was. It just plain sounded better... More weight to everything, better dynamics, better texture... I'm talking about end game.

So... What is about a LDMS that is so much better? Why does it hold the place it does in your system?

Reactions: christoph

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
So... Why?

I had a Pi4 basestreamer. It was clean. I got an Aurender N100H. Big improvement...but it has a good power supply. After having it a while, I definitely appriciate not having to deal with pi OS and Linux. Not that it was a big deal, but a much more normal polished product from Aurender.

I looked at LDMS pretty hard with all the rave reviews. Not that it was competing with Aurender. I just got that used at a decent price and wanted to know if it was better than what I had... It was. It just plain sounded better... More weight to everything, better dynamics, better texture... I'm talking about end game.

So... What is about a LDMS that is so much better? Why does it hold the place it does in your system?
Someone asked the exact same question on the Facebook group for LDMS.

I think the answer to that question is performance at the price. There are certainly other exceptional servers available, the Taiko Extreme is the obvious example and, by all accounts from people who have compared the LDMS to the Taiko, there are those that prefer the LDMS and those that prefer the Taiko, but everyone agrees that they are equal products in terms of performance and only stylistic choices determine which you prefer.........

.......except that the LDMS is between one third and one half the price of the Taiko!

The other part of the answer is that Lukasz builds everything so you get exceptional quality assurance and a bespoke service. He can even fine tune the software to your preferences and room.

It stands as a given that anyone building music servers ought to know what makes a music server, which is ostensibly a computer, very different to a computer. So Lukasz's knowledge about managing noise, about how power supplies can be optimised to tune different sonic outcomes, how to optimise the software to balance best with the hardware, for example, whether you are using SPDIF or USB cables, whether you are using Roon or another piece of software.

The best example I can offer here is the performance improvement he's managed to achieve with his new power supply. Bear in mind, this is just how the power is delivered to the server; he's not changed anything in the server at all, but moving from his original power supply to the significantly upgraded one has brought huge improvements to the bass response. It's tighter, more tuneful and has much greater weight. The overall balance is consequently much better. For the cost - £1800 - it's a huge leap that is very easy to both recommend and justify.

Lukasz gave me a great example of his approach to building servers. You can have two steaks from different cows from the same farm, which if served raw, might taste the same, but when cooked in two different ways, will taste very different; still steak but the experience is not the same. It's Lukasz's knowledge across both software and hardware, i.e. how to prepare the digital stream, that enables him to make music servers that should in theory cost £25k.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Someone asked the exact same question on the Facebook group for LDMS.

I think the answer to that question is performance at the price. There are certainly other exceptional servers available, the Taiko Extreme is the obvious example and, by all accounts from people who have compared the LDMS to the Taiko, there are those that prefer the LDMS and those that prefer the Taiko, but everyone agrees that they are equal products in terms of performance and only stylistic choices determine which you prefer.........

.......except that the LDMS is between one third and one half the price of the Taiko!

The other part of the answer is that Lukasz builds everything so you get exceptional quality assurance and a bespoke service. He can even fine tune the software to your preferences and room.

It stands as a given that anyone building music servers ought to know what makes a music server, which is ostensibly a computer, very different to a computer. So Lukasz's knowledge about managing noise, about how power supplies can be optimised to tune different sonic outcomes, how to optimise the software to balance best with the hardware, for example, whether you are using SPDIF or USB cables, whether you are using Roon or another piece of software.

The best example I can offer here is the performance improvement he's managed to achieve with his new power supply. Bear in mind, this is just how the power is delivered to the server; he's not changed anything in the server at all, but moving from his original power supply to the significantly upgraded one has brought huge improvements to the bass response. It's tighter, more tuneful and has much greater weight. The overall balance is consequently much better. For the cost - £1800 - it's a huge leap that is very easy to both recommend and justify.

Lukasz gave me a great example of his approach to building servers. You can have two steaks from different cows from the same farm, which if served raw, might taste the same, but when cooked in two different ways, will taste very different; still steak but the experience is not the same. It's Lukasz's knowledge across both software and hardware, i.e. how to prepare the digital stream, that enables him to make music servers that should in theory cost £25k.
I could not have said it any better. A great write-up. When I had my Lampi Pacific which replaced a Lumin X-1, I was initially disappointed with the Pacific. Once I got the LDMS, totally tailored to my needs, I was immediately taken aback by how good my system sounded immediately. I have since upgraded to the Horizon and I ordered another LDMS with the new power supply. Oh my, it is even better. No offense to the Taiko cult because I am sure it is outstanding, but for the money, I do not know how you can possibly beat the LDMS and Lucas's customer support.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
A lot of guys here have pretty deep pockets. I understand if it is as good as another but a fraction of the cost... But the cost is still pretty high... For a streamer...

I don't have stratosphere money. However, looking at all the "good" streamers/servers out there, Luminox, Aurender, Aurilic, Linn, ect... There is a price range and LMDS is certainly in it. So it is relative. Just looking at a pico with new PS is not cheap, but it's in my ballpark. And all I do is stream. Getting the Aurilic, and selling my Mercury, I managed to aquire another 600GB of at least 16/44 music. I only had 80GB of high res prior to that. Now it's like 250GB. So trust me, LMDS certainly piques my interest.

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
A lot of guys here have pretty deep pockets. I understand if it is as good as another but a fraction of the cost... But the cost is still pretty high... For a streamer...

I don't have stratosphere money. However, looking at all the "good" streamers/servers out there, Luminox, Aurender, Aurilic, Linn, ect... There is a price range and LMDS is certainly in it. So it is relative. Just looking at a pico with new PS is not cheap, but it's in my ballpark. And all I do is stream. Getting the Aurilic, and selling my Mercury, I managed to aquire another 600GB of at least 16/44 music. I only had 80GB of high res prior to that. Now it's like 250GB. So trust me, LMDS certainly piques my interest.
That's a fair comment - I'm not especially deep pocketed; I bought my entire system with the proceeds of a house sale following a separation from a 17 year marriage that was about as difficult and emotionally scaring as it gets. It was a gift to myself and part of my healing. I know you weren't directing a comment at me so I'm not saying this in a defensive manner, more as a 'there's more than one way to skin a cat' comment.

I haven't heard the Pico but I'm willing to bet it beats the pants of anything at even three times the price.

One thing you said that I thought most interesting:

'....for a streamer...'

The unstated implication being that streamers ought to be cheap, because perhaps they are easy to build or unimportant? They're ostensibly the exact same thing as a CD transport and we all got used to those costing four or five figures. A server is a ditigal transport, whether it's taking that stream from an ethernet connetion or from an internal or networked storage device it's still a transport.

If you're in the UK and you want a demo I am very happy to host you.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
That's a fair comment - I'm not especially deep pocketed; I bought my entire system with the proceeds of a house sale following a separation from a 17 year marriage that was about as difficult and emotionally scaring as it gets. It was a gift to myself and part of my healing. I know you weren't directing a comment at me so I'm not saying this in a defensive manner, more as a 'there's more than one way to skin a cat' comment.

I haven't heard the Pico but I'm willing to bet it beats the pants of anything at even three times the price.

One thing you said that I thought most interesting:

'....for a streamer...'

The unstated implication being that streamers ought to be cheap, because perhaps they are easy to build or unimportant? They're ostensibly the exact same thing as a CD transport and we all got used to those costing four or five figures. A server is a ditigal transport, whether it's taking that stream from an ethernet connetion or from an internal or networked storage device it's still a transport.

If you're in the UK and you want a demo I am very happy to host you.
Ya, deep pockets or special circumstances... I hope nobody takes offense... Your special circumstance... Completely reasonable to me and no, there is not and an endless supply of those... Certainly hope not. Another gentleman had something similar but the passing of a loved one. I could see me doing same. Heck my friends would look at me like I'm nuts if they knew, but I had to sell my other hobbies to do so... That well is dry at this point. But, there is an inordinate amount of stratosphere gear here... And multiples of it... I begrudge nobody of it.

Oh... And yes... That is exactly what I meant by "just a streamer". Shouldn't be that complicated. A DAC isn't that complicated either... I have an "entry level" Lampi. Which one could assume doesn't provide the magic of their flagship. I don't know if that's true, I just know my B4 is mind blowing to me. Game changing... Never thought possible. Obviously, that isn't from the DAC chip, but from the entire package.

So yes, I was skeptical about high priced streamers... There is a metric crap ton of mythology to wade through in this hobby... My aurender is a clear improvement in every way. But I can say superior power supply and circuitry... But are sumit streamers really worth it.... Well seems to be a strong consensus from the fan club anything with a LMDS on it is well worth it. That's usually earned, not given. Admittedly, I was a bit scared buying my Lampi... Never even heard one... But I already told you how that turned out. So ya, sometimes unicorns are real. If I ever do get another streamer, it is not hard to justify an equal streamer to the rest of my DAC/amp/speakers. They are are equal, compatible, and complimentary.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Ya, deep pockets or special circumstances... I hope nobody takes offense... Your special circumstance... Completely reasonable to me and no, there is not and an endless supply of those... Certainly hope not. Another gentleman had something similar but the passing of a loved one. I could see me doing same. Heck my friends would look at me like I'm nuts if they knew, but I had to sell my other hobbies to do so... That well is dry at this point. But, there is an inordinate amount of stratosphere gear here... And multiples of it... I begrudge nobody of it.

Oh... And yes... That is exactly what I meant by "just a streamer". Shouldn't be that complicated. A DAC isn't that complicated either... I have an "entry level" Lampi. Which one could assume doesn't provide the magic of their flagship. I don't know if that's true, I just know my B4 is mind blowing to me. Game changing... Never thought possible. Obviously, that isn't from the DAC chip, but from the entire package.

So yes, I was skeptical about high priced streamers... There is a metric crap ton of mythology to wade through in this hobby... My aurender is a clear improvement in every way. But I can say superior power supply and circuitry... But are sumit streamers really worth it.... Well seems to be a strong consensus from the fan club anything with a LMDS on it is well worth it. That's usually earned, not given. Admittedly, I was a bit scared buying my Lampi... Never even heard one... But I already told you how that turned out. So ya, sometimes unicorns are real. If I ever do get another streamer, it is not hard to justify an equal streamer to the rest of my DAC/amp/speakers. They are are equal, compatible, and complimentary.
Why not give Lucas a call and just talk to him about your system? He is busy but he may be able to help you in other ways. I would call him on What's App so it is a free call. He may have a used LDMS available. At least it would give you an idea what it may cost you. You might be surprised.

Reactions: christoph

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Why not give Lucas a call and just talk to him about your system? He is busy but he may be able to help you in other ways. I would call him on What's App so it is a free call. He may have a used LDMS available. At least it would give you an idea what it may cost you. You might be surprised.
Well sure... Suggest something completely reasonable. Errr... I should. I don't have a problem with used. Lampizator has an awesome 2nd hand program even though I got my B4 new. I should get on a list for a trade in. Any significant upgrade for me will have to be used at this point.

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021

I don't know enough to know why a streamer should be simple to design but I suspect that it is anything but. Usually the simpler something is the harder it is to get right. It's like writing a really good 2000 word essay or an operating system in a few thousand lines of code. It's much harder to do.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I have enjoyed an LDMS server/streamer w/ LPS for about 3 years now, I think, having talked to Lucas after reading some glowing recommendations on these forums. I think it would probably classify as a 'minimax' today, but back then it wasn't called that (and was cheaper too). It outputs only USB.

Lucas has helped optimize it for Roon over the years, but most importantly he has helped me upgrade the rest of my digital (Lampizator Atlantic TRP) + cabling (Laboga, FTA Sinope, for example) to match the LDMS server's capabilities. He is a wonderful person to work with.

I just paid for the upgraded LPS + Laboga DC cable as my first hardware upgrade. So I'm excited to hear what that will do for my streaming (which is all I listen to -- very few CDs, no LPs).

Just yesterday I auditioned a friend's very expensive system in his dedicated listening room, streaming through the top-level HifiRose streamer into a Chord Dave. Amazing soundstage and dynamics thanks to the VTL amplification and Fyne speakers, but the timbre/harmonics/tone was just off in a familiar hyper-digital manner, thanks to the digital chain. When he played a nice LP through his Rega P8 turntable, I could finally relax into the music.

LDMS/Lampizator very closely approximates that analog natural and engaging sound I heard from the Rega in my own listening room streaming from the same Qobuz source. LDMS servers are the real deal, well worth the investment in my opinion.

Anyone else upgrade to the new LDMS power supply?

Reactions: Willgolf

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have enjoyed an LDMS server/streamer w/ LPS for about 3 years now, I think, having talked to Lucas after reading some glowing recommendations on these forums. I think it would probably classify as a 'minimax' today, but back then it wasn't called that (and was cheaper too). It outputs only USB.

Lucas has helped optimize it for Roon over the years, but most importantly he has helped me upgrade the rest of my digital (Lampizator Atlantic TRP) + cabling (Laboga, FTA Sinope, for example) to match the LDMS server's capabilities. He is a wonderful person to work with.

I just paid for the upgraded LPS + Laboga DC cable as my first hardware upgrade. So I'm excited to hear what that will do for my streaming (which is all I listen to -- very few CDs, no LPs).

Just yesterday I auditioned a friend's very expensive system in his dedicated listening room, streaming through the top-level HifiRose streamer into a Chord Dave. Amazing soundstage and dynamics thanks to the VTL amplification and Fyne speakers, but the timbre/harmonics/tone was just off in a familiar hyper-digital manner, thanks to the digital chain. When he played a nice LP through his Rega P8 turntable, I could finally relax into the music.

LDMS/Lampizator very closely approximates that analog natural and engaging sound I heard from the Rega in my own listening room streaming from the same Qobuz source. LDMS servers are the real deal, well worth the investment in my opinion.

Anyone else upgrade to the new LDMS power supply?
The upgraded LPS is definitely worth the investment. I have had two LDMS. I had 6 people over last night and they could not believe how good my system sounded. A major reason is the LDMS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing