LDMS Server

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Yes, a bit anyway. Now I use an antipodes S40 as the server duty only with an LDMS Pico as the player.
View attachment 85957
I have the black on the right. I comes with included powersupply ( a Farad super 3).
I also choose to reclock the USB outsignal with an internal Ideon reclocker.
My combination with Antipodes S40 sounds brilliant. And Lukasz is very good in dealing with. Its easy to speak with him several hours on the phone discussing. And the support he gives is top notch. Antipodes are also a very good company and gives equally as good support. Anyway I have descided to try to sell my Antipodes to be able to finance a second server from Lukasz that will take over the server duty. Maybe it would have been better to have opted for a Mini in the first place but since I already had the S40. According to Antipodes philosofy separating the core from the player with one computer for each duty is best for SQ but I don`t know.
Having both LDMS products makes it easier also with the support and set up procedure.
I used the Anitipdes S40 for several month alone as both server/player. And that alone was also very good, easily the best digital frontend I have had so far. But the addition with the Pico made it even more musical.
So witch is best? I don`t really know because one maybe have to factor in resale value and lifetime support. As someone said Lukasz is a one man operation and could be more vaulnerble in the furure? And Antipodes have had a really sucess with their new K and S series of servers with the new Oladra software.

This is an interesting post and reminds me that when I ordered mine, Lukasz did talk about specifications in a way that suggested the storage/retrieval and 'playing' were two separate things and required different technologies and approaches. I didn't really understand this at the time and I guess the part I really don't understand is the 'playing' part being distinct from the 'retrieval part. Anyone care to enlighten me?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Lucas, not Lukasz (Lampi), right?

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Lucas, not Lukasz (Lampi), right?
Well it's a good point and now you mention it, I wonder if Lucas calls himself that so as to differentiate himself from Lukasz Fikus (and also the Lukasz who runs Horns.pl! Seems you have to change your name to Lukasz if you want to make HiFi kit in Poland!)

Lukasz is the Polish spelling of Lucas and being of Polish origin myself, i find it hard not to write it that way!

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Is Lucas or his family Polish? In the States it’s not a wholly uncommon name, but never thought about its origins.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Lucas has recently started to offer a new version of the SPDIF connection that also allows DSD files to be played; it can handle DSD64 but also allows higher rates to play downsampled to 64. Having heard the difference in musicality between the same song (PCM 44.1 KHz) played via both USB and SPDIF i was amazed at how much better the SPDIF output sounded, even when using a very modest coaxial cable against a mid range David Laboga costing three or four times as much. I had heard this from Lucas, that SPDIF is more musical but limited as to what it can play, so when I ordered the server I opted just for USB. But he is offering a retrofit and since this output can now also play DSD I opted to send my server to him to have it fitted.
I have a High Fidelity Cables CT1-U coaxial on loan as well (I use this model for both speaker cable and interconnect) and the sound is sublime. The soundstage is significantly bigger and more open, space between the notes and instruments greatly improved - what I would call 'coherence' and there is a greater sense of 'musicality' to the sound. It's quite a beautiful improvement, less in the nature of 'solid state resolution and detail' and more of the 'pure class A SET engagement'.
If you have an LDMS server it is something I would highly recommend having done.
Do you know if this is mentioned in THE pricelist as the Spdif output with OXCO reclocking or a completely new?

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
This is an interesting post and reminds me that when I ordered mine, Lukasz did talk about specifications in a way that suggested the storage/retrieval and 'playing' were two separate things and required different technologies and approaches. I didn't really understand this at the time and I guess the part I really don't understand is the 'playing' part being distinct from the 'retrieval part. Anyone care to enlighten me?
This info from Antipodes may shed some light on the subject for you https://antipodes.audio/connections/

Reactions: geetee1972

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
I love how Poland has somehow become an epicentre for innovation and entrepreneurialism in the world of high end audio. The entrepreneurialism doesn’t surprise me (it’s a byproduct of living in a market of shortage/communism for decades - you have to build what you don’t have), and the technical skills are also abundant in the country but that it should be so rigorously and effectively applied to audio is a lovely surprise. I guess it might be related to the flourishing jazz and classical music scene there?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Well it's a good point and now you mention it, I wonder if Lucas calls himself that so as to differentiate himself from Lukasz Fikus (and also the Lukasz who runs Horns.pl! Seems you have to change your name to Lukasz if you want to make HiFi kit in Poland!)

Lukasz is the Polish spelling of Lucas and being of Polish origin myself, i find it hard not to write it that way!
Is Lucas or his family Polish? In the States it’s not a wholly uncommon name, but never thought about its origins.
Lucas is originally from Poland and can go by either Lucas or Lucasz. Lucasz is the Polish version so I imagine in Europe most often the Z is added. In the USA, we go by Lucas. I actually discussed this with him about a year ago. I believe he is ok with either.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I love how Poland has somehow become an epicentre for innovation and entrepreneurialism in the world of high end audio. The entrepreneurialism doesn’t surprise me (it’s a byproduct of living in a market of shortage/communism for decades - you have to build what you don’t have), and the technical skills are also abundant in the country but that it should be so rigorously and effectively applied to audio is a lovely surprise. I guess it might be related to the flourishing jazz and classical music scene there?
You are absolutely right....You could start with speakers from hORNS, power it by Lampizator and LDMS. That definitely could be a final end all system.

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
You are absolutely right....You could start with speakers from hORNS, power it by Lampizator and LDMS. That definitely could be a final end all system.
Well this is what I have - LDMS Mini+, Lampizator GG DAC and Horsn FP10s; they amps are Japanese (Concert Fidelity) and German (Silvercore).

• Love

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Well this is what I have - LDMS Mini+, Lampizator GG DAC and Horsn FP10s; they amps are Japanese (Concert Fidelity) and German (Silvercore).
<---- Look to the left ;)
Or read below

Reactions: geetee1972

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Yes, a bit anyway. Now I use an antipodes S40 as the server duty only with an LDMS Pico as the player.
View attachment 85957
I have the black on the right. It comes with included powersupply ( a Farad super 3).
I also choose to reclock the USB outsignal with an internal Ideon reclocker.
My combination with Antipodes S40 sounds brilliant. And Lukasz is very good in dealing with. Its easy to speak with him several hours on the phone discussing. And the support he gives is top notch. Antipodes are also a very good company and gives equally as good support. Anyway I have descided to try to sell my Antipodes to be able to finance a second server from Lukasz that will take over the server duty. Maybe it would have been better to have opted for a Mini in the first place but since I already had the S40. According to Antipodes philosofy separating the core from the player with one computer for each duty is best for SQ but I don`t know.
Having both LDMS products makes it easier also with the support and set up procedure.
I used the Anitipdes S40 for several month alone as both server/player. And that alone was also very good, easily the best digital frontend I have had so far. But the addition with the Pico made it even more musical.
So witch is best? I don`t really know because one maybe have to factor in resale value and lifetime support. As someone said Lukasz is a one man operation and could be more vaulnerble in the furure? And Antipodes have had a really sucess with their new K and S series of servers with the new Oladra software.

Great info thank you...Let me know when you post up your S40 for sale I might be interested if it's a current model.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Great info thank you...Let me know when you post up your S40 for sale I might be interested if it's a current model.
Thanks, we can continue via PM if thats ok with you.

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
On another subject, Lucas has just upgraded the S/PDIF output of my server and sold me a Wave BNC cable. As you will appreciate this limits PCM to 192, and for other reasons my DSD files are being converted to 176. But my oh my, my system sounds better than ever- so analogue and musical!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Lucas is originally from Poland and can go by either Lucas or Lucasz. Lucasz is the Polish version so I imagine in Europe most often the Z is added. In the USA, we go by Lucas. I actually discussed this with him about a year ago. I believe he is ok with either.
Almost right;)
The exact Polish spelling is ?ukasz .
It’s English translation would be Lucas.
And yes - Lampizator, LDMS and Autotech ( the company behind hORNS) are run by ?ukasz;).
Fikus, Doma?ski and Lewandowski respectively.

Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Lucas (LDMS) frequently collaborates with David LaBoga, another Polish gentleman. Lucas uses LaBoga cables in his servers and I purchased a bunch of LaBoga cables (USB, and RCA) through Lucas. They are all very good.

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
As I began to look more closely at LDMS (while also late last year having begun to look at Antipodes, which I've decided against due to unsatisfactory responses to email, as well as the cost factor for S40 and an additional Anti' unit), several questions arose. CE: I'm relatively new to the server/player game, so the questions/concerns expressed are merely aimed at learning more (and should not convey the impression I may be making any declarations or judgments).

It seems as though LDMS continues to have problems with USB to Lampizators with the newer version JL Labs upgrade. I don't know if this issue is related to his more recent move to spdif, but it looks as though it may. Yet, SQ may be what is driving this. Hard to tell. The USB issue continues to concern me, and from responses above USB employment may dictate one's choice of reclocker in order to avoid connectivity/communication issues - is this what I'm reading?

Reading through the product price list is at least somewhat confusing. When I note a number of LDMS users have had to purchase two or three cables (internal, and not due to converting to spdif), are these costing buyers over and above the cost of the product? If so, what is the cost?

Also, I'm getting the impression that LDMS topology is "married" to Roon. Maybe stating things in this manner is too strong, so let me restate that: Functionality and design seem to be such that LDMS could be said to be somewhat Roon dependent. Has anyone here had a build that preferred HQ Player? And how well does LDMS' OS function if HQ Player is one's choice?

I haven't seen anyone commenting on their experience when moving up the LDMS product line. Therefore, it is difficult for me to know differences and improvements/results expected in their products (in terms of considering my own build or product preference). I would assume there must be significant improvement(?). Or, do the different products and associated costs merely reflect additional operational functions one would desire to have based on need, e.g., file storage, retrieval, and playback.

This last question I asked aims at my own attempt to sort out how I might go about the decision of which product I should migrate to when considering a purchase. For example, if I were to want top level SQ, but require only streaming (i.e., Qobuz), this would appear to the uninitiated (me) to be a choice (and more straight forward, simpler product) that ought to be fairly simple. Like most things in high-end digital audio, it is probably not that simple. Yet, from the brief to non-existent website product information, I don't know how I could discern this.

I realize I am an exceptional potential customer who would be very interested in an LDMS product, since very few music lovers go from never having bought or used a server or player, being super new to the digital world, but go directly to a strong interest in LDMS as probably the player (and/or server) of choice. So, with that said, I'd be pretty grateful for any helpful replies - for the digitally challenged, as it were. I mean, heck, last year I bought my first DAC (first entry into digital from vinyl only), a Topping D50S, and in December bought the Lampi GA TRP. By January I'm hot on an LDMS...dude, that didn't take long, right?

Reactions: keithc

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
As I began to look more closely at LDMS (while also late last year having begun to look at Antipodes, which I've decided against due to unsatisfactory responses to email, as well as the cost factor for S40 and an additional Anti' unit), several questions arose. CE: I'm relatively new to the server/player game, so the questions/concerns expressed are merely aimed at learning more (and should not convey the impression I may be making any declarations or judgments).

It seems as though LDMS continues to have problems with USB to Lampizators with the newer version JL Labs upgrade. I don't know if this issue is related to his more recent move to spdif, but it looks as though it may. Yet, SQ may be what is driving this. Hard to tell. The USB issue continues to concern me, and from responses above USB employment may dictate one's choice of reclocker in order to avoid connectivity/communication issues - is this what I'm reading? - I've been using LDMS with Baltic 3 with JL card and had zero issues ever, so I'm not certain where this topic about issues with USB/LDMS is coming from. Needs to be noted that I'm not using any reclocker and I LOVE the performance without it. If you want reclocker than you need two USB cables and hence the cost goes up but with my experience it is not a "must have"

Reading through the product price list is at least somewhat confusing. When I note a number of LDMS users have had to purchase two or three cables (internal, and not due to converting to spdif), are these costing buyers over and above the cost of the product? If so, what is the cost? - As said above depends strictly on You and your choice -> reclocker or not.

Also, I'm getting the impression that LDMS topology is "married" to Roon. Maybe stating things in this manner is too strong, so let me restate that: Functionality and design seem to be such that LDMS could be said to be somewhat Roon dependent. Has anyone here had a build that preferred HQ Player? And how well does LDMS' OS function if HQ Player is one's choice? - I would say its not true that its married with Roon. I have a Roon as I want it to sort out my library but I have HQ player as well and sometimes I use Roon as Player and sometimes HQ Player depending on the SW revisions of those two players and Lukas tweaks he does. I believe if You dont want Roon you can opt for JRiver for example

I haven't seen anyone commenting on their experience when moving up the LDMS product line. Therefore, it is difficult for me to know differences and improvements/results expected in their products (in terms of considering my own build or product preference). I would assume there must be significant improvement(?). Or, do the different products and associated costs merely reflect additional operational functions one would desire to have based on need, e.g., file storage, retrieval, and playback. - Have not seen this as well. Guess users are happy with their original selection :)

This last question I asked aims at my own attempt to sort out how I might go about the decision of which product I should migrate to when considering a purchase. For example, if I were to want top level SQ, but require only streaming (i.e., Qobuz), this would appear to the uninitiated (me) to be a choice (and more straight forward, simpler product) that ought to be fairly simple. Like most things in high-end digital audio, it is probably not that simple. Yet, from the brief to non-existent website product information, I don't know how I could discern this. - Based on my experiance and what i know from others Lucas will give you a honest and straight answer based on your real needs and wishes - he won't try to oversell in a manner: "Do you want XL or medium Big Mac meal?"

I realize I am an exceptional potential customer who would be very interested in an LDMS product, since very few music lovers go from never having bought or used a server or player, being super new to the digital world, but go directly to a strong interest in LDMS as probably the player (and/or server) of choice. So, with that said, I'd be pretty grateful for any helpful replies - for the digitally challenged, as it were. I mean, heck, last year I bought my first DAC (first entry into digital from vinyl only), a Topping D50S, and in December bought the Lampi GA TRP. By January I'm hot on an LDMS...dude, that didn't take long, right? - You're doing fairly well...HiFi disease is taking over you quickly
Tried to answer as best as I could...sorry for red and bold text...used just for a purpose of easier visibility

Reactions: tinkerphile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing