Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
If you can find a pair of the EML 45 Mesh Anniversary tubes that were sold by Lampi, you’d probably be very happy. They don’t come up often.
How much do they go for these days?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Gazillion bucks if you score them :cool:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Go to hifishark.com and look in the solds. There were two in 2022. The cheaper one went for $850 as I recall (mine). You might ask what the other got.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have a pair bought from Jac Music which are as I got them new, really. I didn't really use them for many hours. Less than 50 I would say.

If anyone wants them at $900 plus postage costs PM me.

One caveat is they don't have the Lampi Anniv markings, just the standard EML ones, but they are otherwise identical. I compared them to Ked's to be sure that Jac Music was telling me the truth.

You can pay me in crypto for giggles I will take a wide variety of coins.

Reactions: geetee1972

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
I've managed to borrow a pair of Ayon 45s and have been advised that I could buy a pair new if I wanted (for the princely sum of £1000 mind you!) However, listening this evening and much as I like the 45s, I think that on reflection the 242s offer a better balance. It's very apparent that the speakers have calmed down quite a bit and aren't quite so forward as they were the first few days (these are not new btw, they've just been sitting idle for a while so I think they got a bit carried away with the enthusiasm of use in a few months, like a labrador being taken on its first ever walk!)

Blake

Jun 28, 2018

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Hello All!
Outside of the TRP thread I’m seeking more current owner inputs on the use of KT88’s and if you’re happy with their performanc- which brand/flavor (as some make more than one model) are you currently using? I was recently pitched PSVane KT88’s (computer matched) but not sure of which version. I’m more than hesitant on this as my TRP was shipped with a quad of LinLai KT88’s and their just not my cup of tea (used with Sophia Aqua 274B). Any input would be appreciated!

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Hello All!
Outside of the TRP thread I’m seeking more current owner inputs on the use of KT88’s and if you’re happy with their performanc- which brand/flavor (as some make more than one model) are you currently using? I was recently pitched PSVane KT88’s (computer matched) but not sure of which version. I’m more than hesitant on this as my TRP was shipped with a quad of LinLai KT88’s and their just not my cup of tea (used with Sophia Aqua 274B). Any input would be appreciated!
Best is still the sylvamia 6550 for this class. Dt459 might be good too but very hard to track down

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
If one puts a rectifier tube in an adapter that uses 1 ohm resistor (s) into a two ohm one, what will happen — lower volume? I have two physically identical looking adapters that are unmarked and am trying to make sure I have them sorted without damaging anything.

Last edited:

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@highstream
Do you have a multimeter? Without knowing the properties of the circuit and the tube it hard to tell exactly (in number values). I would tend to believe that you could measure the output from the tube sockets both prior to and after placing the adapter. A little math would provide the drop in current/resistance.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@highstream
Do you have a multimeter? Without knowing the properties of the circuit and the tube it hard to tell exactly (in number values). I would tend to believe that you could measure the output from the tube sockets both prior to and after placing the adapter. A little math would provide the drop in current/resistance.

It's a Golden Gate 2/3. I do have a multimeter and was trying to measure the resistors, however it's hard to get a stable placement leads and thus reading. The resistor leads and solder joints of the finished products look like the close end of the one in the photo.

Attachments

• RGN2004 to 5U4G close view 2 eBay 8-7-23.JPG
    RGN2004 to 5U4G close view 2 eBay 8-7-23.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 7

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Have you tried inserting the probes into the top of the socket directly? I have a TRP3- not a GG but my documentation states that on the rectifier input measurements should be able to be taken across pins 2 and 8. If you power up and pull the tube measure the ohms across those pins. Afterwards plug your adapter into the socket and measure again across those pins to determine the delta in Ohms.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Have you tried inserting the probes into the top of the socket directly? I have a TRP3- not a GG but my documentation states that on the rectifier input measurements should be able to be taken across pins 2 and 8. If you power up and pull the tube measure the ohms across those pins. Afterwards plug your adapter into the socket and measure again across those pins to determine the delta in Ohms.

Thanks. I'm not getting anything off pins 2 & 8. I tried the resistors underside solder connection again directly and was able to get 0.5 and 0.9 ohms. I know the 2004 is 0.5 and the 1064 is 1.0, so that should do it. This was more to store the adapter for possible future use, as I have another adapter that's better for the 2004.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Whilst were on the subject, I have a pv200/600 rectifier which is a 4V tube. Its pin configuration means it plugs straight in. Any issue with running a 4V tube with no adapter/resistor? I think the socket is 5V?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I was informed this morning by a friend of mine about existence of the following S. Korean tube manufacturer https://www.straditube.com/index.html
I've checked with Yoda about them and he has quite a nice number of tubes from them and about the sound/and overall quality his only comment was "Fantastic"....
Some of you with PAc/Pac2/GG2/GG3 might find some interesting DHT tubes there.

Cheers;
G

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Whilst were on the subject, I have a pv200/600 rectifier which is a 4V tube. Its pin configuration means it plugs straight in. Any issue with running a 4V tube with no adapter/resistor? I think the socket is 5V?
I’ve looked for a data sheet on the tube as you’ve described it and come up with nothing. Do you have a data sheet for it? The design specs may shed some light on the operational range of the tube.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
This is the PV200/600 pinout:
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 7.21.27 PM.png
and here is the 5U4G pinout:
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 7.22.31 PM.png
(sorry about the size difference). In the first case, the filament pins are separated by an anode pin, in the second case, not; so there's no way to plug the PV200/600 correctly into the dac's socket without an adapter.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
This is the PV200/600 pinout:
View attachment 119092
and here is the 5U4G pinout:
View attachment 119093
(sorry about the size difference). In the first case, the filaments are separated by an anode, in the second case, not; so there's no way to plug the PV200/600 correctly into the dac's socket without an adapter.
OK thanks for the info. The diagrams dont mean much to me, as I dont know how to read them, but the message is clear!

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Who manufactured the PV200/600?

@ronfint - I still haven’t found another pair of the 6CA7-TII’s to make a quad from your old pair. I believe they have disappeared for good!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing