Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My apologies for my 3 bottle of old vine Malbec somewhat torpid head on this morning... however... You have moved the LampizatOr on for a new Non Valve DAC ?
No I had my Lampizator rebuilt to use Rod Coleman filament control with user variable filament voltage. That's why I can use a much wider range of triodes than standard Lampis. It's been through 4 stages of upgrades including much better transformers and a choice of Dueland or Jupiter output caps. It still uses the original Big 7 DAC board however because I really like it.

It's all documented in this thread. But this thread is now huge so finding it all is not so easy.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
My apologies for my 3 bottle of old vine Malbec…
You’re my man with Malbec! Nothing better than bottle of Malbec in Mendoza or Buenos aires with proper steak on the table… :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Argonaut

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Grass-Fed on Las Pampas Tomahawk , medium rare , for the Win :)
While doing so treat youself with the appropriate music for example with Atahualpa Yupanqui or Luis Salinas;)

Promise i won’t offtopic this heavy thread anymore…

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn and Argonaut

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well that'll teach me to be so cocky.

I am not quite making the grade here.

These remind me of my 211s. Not so white as an RCA in their glow, more like an Amperex. Radio active filaments do like to shine bright...

Whilst I can easily hit 7.5V with VT-52, not so with these babies.

Will put them on the tester but we have another lying seller. He says they test 110% and are NOS. I can tell by looking at the tube it is used. A great clue is to look at the wiring close to the base. If it varies in colour it has seen heat. These display that attribute.

They might well measure as stated, though.

Build quality I would rate as very good. Nice, thick glass. IMG_20211006_210439.jpg

This is the first thoriated tungsten tube to hit my DAC. You so know it when they light up.

Literally just plugged them in. Very good tap test results.

IMG_20211006_213708.jpg

I would avoid these for any standard Lampi now I have them TBH.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Love the glow!
You didn’t try any Elrog before?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No. I met and spoke to the now dead chap that started Elrog, though.

He always had bad thoughts about how to make a 211. Vinyl Saviour realised it I reckon;)

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
I am using RK KR-242 output tubes and the RK KR-5U4G rectifier in my Pacific. My system has a touch of hardness that I would like to get rid of, preferably by rolling in a different rectifier. Looking for thoughts on rectifiers to try that will remove the hardness without impacting the positive attributes of the 242s. I have tried a couple of well regarded NOS 5U4Gs with negative results.

Reactions: ctydwn

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's probably coming from the 242. Have you tried another tube? The option you have is to try kr 242 they might be slightly different. Will be a gamble.

Otherwise you will have to experiment with different preamps

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
I am using RK KR-242 output tubes and the RK KR-5U4G rectifier in my Pacific. My system has a touch of hardness that I would like to get rid of, preferably by rolling in a different rectifier. Looking for thoughts on rectifiers to try that will remove the hardness without impacting the positive attributes of the 242s. I have tried a couple of well regarded NOS 5U4Gs with negative results.
I'm currently using the regular KR 242's with an EML 5U4G that I'm liking quite well in my GG2. I have a pair of the RK KR 242 but haven't tried them yet as some others have said they are bit "polite" compared to the non-RK ones. Good luck!

Reactions: ctydwn and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm currently using the regular KR 242's with an EML 5U4G that I'm liking quite well in my GG2. I have a pair of the RK KR 242 but haven't tried them yet as some others have said they are bit "polite" compared to the non-RK ones. Good luck!
This might be a good idea to try, rectifier wise.

Reactions: timztunz

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Hi Mr. P, I really like the EML 274b with the RK KR-242 output tubes. Is this something you can give a go? Not exactly sure what you mean by hardness, but I do find this combo having incredible dynamics but also very natural present vocals that are drinkable.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm not saying I know better, but I sold my EML 274B as I just found them too incisive and cutting, and well, hard in a preamp I used to use.

So I am surprised. But hey if they work for you with RK242, then they work!

Reactions: ctydwn

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Well as you guys are the top level experts I thought I'd share my GG2 review... only my second YouTube video but hope you enjoy it!

Really nice video. Well done.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well as you guys are the top level experts I thought I'd share my GG2 review... only my second YouTube video but hope you enjoy it!

Very cool one Tim!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing