Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

I just ordered a balanced Big 7 MKII today, E53 engine with VC and 5 position heater switch option.
Thanks to Rob at LampiNA for his help as well as all the owners/ posters here -I’ve been immersed in these threads for quite some time now.

I was somewhat torn between the Atlantic TRP and Big 7 MKII but ultimately decided to spend more to gain entry to the DHT world.

I have some time while my build is completed to continue to research tube rolling options- keep up the good work guys!

Thanks again.

Charles
I just had a look to see what the latest spec was and noticed this:

Buy your Lampi with Bitcoin

Now I am not sure I think Bitcoin is really a payment medium, more a store of wealth that you shouldn't ever part with long term.

But it might be worth exploring if it looks like a good deal. That said, in 5 years time you might be kicking yourself!;)

Thanks to you both.

$tarter guide is correct for sure especially with balanced and 4 tubes per.

I will definitely try 01a, 112a, 45 and variants as they tend to be more economical and also more available NOS. Px4 is definitely mo money but we’ll see.

I have an unproven theory that the lower wattage designed tubes may be to my liking and less stress on the power supply in the B7.

Reactions: Trab and Golum
I just ordered a balanced Big 7 MKII today, E53 engine with VC and 5 position heater switch option.
Thanks to Rob at LampiNA for his help as well as all the owners/ posters here -I’ve been immersed in these threads for quite some time now.

I was somewhat torn between the Atlantic TRP and Big 7 MKII but ultimately decided to spend more to gain entry to the DHT world.

I have some time while my build is completed to continue to research tube rolling options- keep up the good work guys!

Thanks again.

Charles
Congrats on the Big7mk2 :cool:
Excellent choice :)

Reactions: cpcat
I have an unproven theory that the lower wattage designed tubes may be to my liking and less stress on the power supply in the B7.

Thanks to you both.

$tarter guide is correct for sure especially with balanced and 4 tubes per.

I will definitely try 01a, 112a, 45 and variants as they tend to be more economical and also more available NOS. Px4 is definitely mo money but we’ll see.

I think that's right.

My B7 power supply was modded to run 4V 2A triodes with a huge Toroidy and later a smaller Toroidy was added as even the first Toroidy wasn't quite enough.

That's said, on high heater the Tesla AD1n sounded amazing prior to the mod, though I am sure (know) it stressed the machine.

I have since acquired other tubes that can beat that Tesla model in certain parameters but I still rate the Tesla a lot.

Reactions: cpcat
Got my Pacific back from a major overhaul, turned out awesome love it . I went from BAL to SE added
VC , JL and got rid of the gold case also removed Ethernet . Im using a vintage tung sol rectifier with great results.

Attachments

• 2BD4A14B-A168-4B50-B682-90D2475D6763.jpeg
    2BD4A14B-A168-4B50-B682-90D2475D6763.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 569D33EB-5BDE-439B-A8BF-6F5A392363CD.jpeg
    569D33EB-5BDE-439B-A8BF-6F5A392363CD.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 16
Got my Pacific back from a major overhaul, turned out awesome love it . I went from BAL to SE added
VC , JL and got rid of the gold case also removed Ethernet . Im using a vintage tung sol rectifier with great results.
Glad you're happy my friend. Once I send you those special Swiss silver bolts you'll be flying (plus proper silver top) :cool: ;)

Reactions: rau
Congratulations! Looks great. Is this the Duracell theme?
I wonder, why get rid of an Ethernet input? Does it really make an audible difference?

Last edited:
Looking forward to your impressions. What have you been using and liked?
After a few test runs, it is clear that I have found a new dream combination for myself. WE300b (new product) with Taka 274b delivers a sound I have never heard before from my Lampi. Tonality, spatiality, contours, sound flow, naturalness. Everything is there. What is new is the extreme live-like performance. You have the feeling that the vocals are whispering directly into your ear.
Even with the 300b Takas, everything seems a little distant and muffled in comparison. I am aware that every combination has its own characteristics, but for me this combination is ultimate.
As an attachment, I am sending you my HQPlayer settings, as I think they are equally crucial and should be considered in combination with the tubes.

Attachments

• AE34456A-D328-4065-9BDA-59327AB3A1B1.png
    AE34456A-D328-4065-9BDA-59327AB3A1B1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • D31075DF-6586-4101-AFFD-283C9B764A77.jpeg
    D31075DF-6586-4101-AFFD-283C9B764A77.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: marslo and dminches
After a few test runs, it is clear that I have found a new dream combination for myself. WE300b (new product) with Taka 274b delivers a sound I have never heard before from my Lampi. Tonality, spatiality, contours, sound flow, naturalness. Everything is there. What is new is the extreme live-like performance. You have the feeling that the vocals are whispering directly into your ear.
Even with the 300b Takas, everything seems a little distant and muffled in comparison. I am aware that every combination has its own characteristics, but for me this combination is ultimate.
As an attachment, I am sending you my HQPlayer settings, as I think they are equally crucial and should be considered in combination with the tubes.

Your description about the Tak 300Bs is exactly how I feel. It does sound muffled or not as detailed as the 112As.

Just curious but how many different pairs of power triodes have you tried in your Lampi?

Be nice to see a list.

You're the first to post on the new WE. Going to be interesting to see what the general consensus is.

DHT:
Just curious but how many different pairs of power triodes have you tried in your Lampi?

Be nice to see a list.

You're the first to post on the new WE. Going to be interesting to see what the general consensus is.
DHT: KR45, KR242RK, KR300bRK, Takatzuki 300b, WE 300b
Recti: KR274b, ELROG 274b, Takatzuki 274b, KR5U4G, RCA 5U4G

Nice, but as a suggestion try venturing further back in time. There's not much current production I really rate that highly, though there is some OKish stuff around.

That probably sounds a bit conceited, but I do prefer old production stuff sonically and as a strict lesson that newer is not necessarily better. In fact for the most part it's worse. At least I think so.

Reactions: christoph
Congratulations! Looks great. Is this the Duracell theme?
I wonder, why get rid of an Ethernet input? Does it really make an audible difference?
If it did I can’t hear it , I just had it removed because I will never use it , but the JL upgrade with TAS driver for my Extreme was a good upgrade

Nice, but as a suggestion try venturing further back in time. There's not much current production I really rate that highly, though there is some OKish stuff around.

That probably sounds a bit conceited, but I do prefer old production stuff sonically and as a strict lesson that newer is not necessarily better. In fact for the most part it's worse. At least I think so.
I confirm, that it sounds a bit conceited.

I did not mean that I have found the holy grail and it is clear to my that there are many old tubes that even sounds better ( and you own and I have not heard). My message was just to inform you about my personal impression of the new WE 300b.

Hi Justin

What is your current ranking list, then?

Please include the KR PX25 for me to have a reference.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: marslo
I am still in favour of EML 45 mesh Lampi Edition with KR 5u4g RK in my setup . I used before and still have KR 300 B RK , replaced by KR PX 4 ( sold ) and then by KR PX 25 , have also Psvane 101D WE and regular Psvane 101 D.
Spare rectis : KR 5u4g 2016 Lampi Anniv Edition , Psvane 274 b Acme , EML 5u4g mesh and NOS Fivre 5r4gy.

I will follow the experience of the owners of WE 300 B new series and if reliable I am keen to give them a try.

Last edited:
I will follow the experience of the owners of WE 300 B new series and if reliable I am keen to give them a try.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the life span of DHT output tubes in a Lampi DAC as they are only gently petted (so to say) :cool:
If you don't drop them on the floor, they will probably outlive you :oops: :D

I wouldn't be too concerned about the life span of DHT output tubes in a Lampi DAC as they are only gently petted (so to say) :cool:
If you don't drop them on the floor, they will probably outlive you :oops: :D
as a rule you are probably right , buy one of my KR 300 B RK failed after 3 month time. And those WE 300 B are even more expensive...

I am still in favour of EML 45 mesh Lampi Edition with KR 5u4g RK in my setup . I used before and still have KR 300 B , replaced by KR PX 4 ( sold ) and then by KR PX 25 , have also Psvane 101D WE and regular Psvane 101 D.
Spare rectis : KR 5u4g , Psvane 274 b and NOS Fivre .
Funny but the highly touted EML 45 mesh Lampi Anniversary Globes continue to underwhelm me in my systems each time I give them another try :oops:
If they wouldn't be that rare and unobtainable, I would have long sold them :rolleyes:
But that being said, I still keep them in case I should change systems some time in the future and they should magically do some magic for me all of a sudden :p

Reactions: marslo
as a rule you are probably right , buy one of my KR 300 B RK failed after 3 month time. And those WE 300 B are even more expensive...
They either die very soon and then you normally still have warranty or they live forever ;)

In my case, I have never had one single failing tube in all my Lampis over all the time I used them and I do some serious tube rolling :cool:
I hope I didn't jinx my luck right now :oops::D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing