Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am in the lowly US of A.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Another arrived as I attempt to consume world stocks...

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_090013.jpg
    IMG_20191219_090013.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 21

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
@User211 can you please link to an eBay version of what you purchased? There are so many listings popping up when one searches for AD1 tubes, and the prices are all over the place.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There aren't any available at the moment.

If there were, I probably would have bought them.

I will have six soon. My pair, Kedar's and a reserve pair for me.

Just keep searching for Telefunken AD1 or Tesla AD1. You have the pics I have posted to know what to look for.

Reactions: adamaley

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
One thing to make people aware of. If you do manage to score a pair, if your Lampi sockets are recessed you have to use a UX4 life extender as the AD1 socket adaptor won't fit in the recess.

Either that or find a different adaptor to the one I have posted. I did see an alternative on eBay a while ago.

IMG_20191215_213827.jpg

Reactions: adamaley

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Here is a the summary of the TRP tube rolling session we did at my place with David, Fabio and myself mid summer this year. I think it should also be in this Thread.

Setup: We tested a variety of output tubes to see which ones are working best in the TRP. We kept the setup simple with the SuperKomputer feeding the TRP DAC. Amp was the Ayon Crossfire. Speakers the hORNS. So no pre-amp and no subwoofer was used.

The first round we did with the KR Ann Recti. Second round we compared our favorite tubes with the Takatsuki.

Music: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pal Alley (2.30 min. & 5:00 min.); Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (from start 1-2 min); Jose Carrera - Misa Criolla (from start 1-2min); Keith Jarret - Köln Concert Part I (1-2 min from start & 6:00 min); Blues Company - Dark Day (1:30 min); Jon Hopkins - Abandon Window (start 1-2 min & 3:40 min)

KR / Tung Sol EL34: clear over full spectrum, well defined bass (one of the better we heard)

KR / Philips EL24 Blackburn Code (NOS): warmer than the Tung Sol, pronounced mid-range, lacks treble extension

KR / RFT EL 34 (NOS): most dynamic and defined of the EL 34, clean over the full specturm, more details, good flow, clearly the winner of the EL34s

KR / Brimar 6L6G (NOS): less dynamic than EL 34s, soundstage moves slightly further back, beautiful organic tonality, very smooth, less treble then the RFT but nothing to worry about, good bass quantity which is softer than with the EL 34s, most emotional and touching of the bunch

KR / TAD KT66: most bass quantity, missing snap, polished and glossed over, a clear pass from all of us

KR / Genalex KT 77 Gold Lion: massive soundstage, cleanest of the all, quite background, has the fullness of the EL 34s but is more precise adn more transparent, good treble extension, tonality is spot on, involving and physical, fantastic intradynamics, most complete tube of the bunch and in all disciplines ahead except from emotionality wher the Brimar is slightly better

Elextro Harmonix 6CA7 EH: a lot of details, most powerful, good punch and dynamics, missing body in the lower midrange/upper bass, does not transport the chest voice as the KT77 and the Brimar.

Our favorite tubes were the Genalex KT77 and the Brimar 6L6G. The Brimar is mor emotional but the KT77 more involving. Tonality of the Brimar is beautiful but not as correct as with the KT77. We switched the rectifier to the Takatsuki to find out how these two favoites would do with the Japanese rectifier.

Takatsuki / Brimar 6L6G: Depth, focus and imaging improved a lot. Also the soundstage increased. The Takatsuki completes the Brimar. Very detailed but never losing the flow and the focus on the complete picture. The step up from the KR to the Takatsuki is impressive.

Takatsuki / KT 77: Also here, the soundstage increases slightly. There's more air and better separation than with the KR. But the difference to the KR is much smaller than with the Brimar. We all could very well live with the KR.

Overall, the Takatsuki and KT77 was the winner of the day. If you own a TRP it makes sense to own a Brimar and the KT77 as they are quite different in their presentation. The KR is doing a great job overall. If you got the spare money, go for the Takatsuki”

Later Fabio tried NOS GEC KT66 and wrote the following:

“Did some further comparison between the GEC KT66 and Genalex KT77. After having had the KT66 in the system for several weeks I changed back to the KT77 and was first impressed by the presence, slam and details I got. The soundstage moves much closer to the listener. Dynamics and microdetails are great. At times I almost had a heartattack when an unexpected impulse hit my body. It reaches slightly deeper in the bass than the KT66. However, bass control is inferior to the KT66 with more focus on the very low end and a slight dip in the upper mid bass. The high gain, dynamics and details come at the cost of being less musical. Some music can sound a bit forced and nervous at times. The KT66 is more relaxed with lower noisefloor. Music just flows better. Details are presented in a more natural manner. Both tubes have excellent treble extension and reach deep down (the KT77 a bit deeper). Think of the GEC KT66 as a better version of the Brimar 6L6G.

If your system is a bit sleepy, you’re looking for more dynamics and punch or your pre-amp has a low input gain I would chose the KT77. If you want to calm down things and you are rather into long-term relaxed listening go for the KT66. Both tubes are exceptional in their own ways. I compared them in the TRP with the RK Ann. Rectifier.”

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have a new No. 2 in my personal "favorite Rectifier for Lampi DACs List" :cool:

The ACME 274b pushed the RK 5u4g from the second place to the third.
Absolutely great sounding Recti.
Thanks for the excellent tip @Golum ;)

Reactions: Jazzhead

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
BTW would you somehow have a feeling it kind of blends well with more output tubes types then RK one or let me change the question is it more for forgiving somehow then RK as i have this feeling about it...

I never thought the RK 5u4g needs to be more forgiving.
I don't experience the RK 5u4g as shouty as you (and others?) obviously do.
I love the RK 5u4g for what this recti brings to the table and it is still my No. 3 favorite recti for Lampi DACs and I have tried dozens.
At the moment I'm only listening to the ACME 274B and am enjoying it.
Will compare more combinations another time in the new year.

Reactions: Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
RK 5u4g is not shouty at all. Something is wrong with the set up in that case of the rest of the system

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have a new No. 2 in my personal "favorite Rectifier for Lampi DACs List" :cool:

No.1 being ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I did not say it’s shouty just more punchy and dynamic vs ACME (to me)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
After a few months of listening to the Acme 274B, it is now my favorite rectifier paired with the KR RK PX25. At first I had a nagging feeling I was missing some of the music, but I attribute that to its significantly deeper soundstage compared to any other rectifier I have tried. Tonally, it is almost perfect as well. It also appears to have less gain than most of the other rectifiers I have tried, which really gels with my downstream components.

Many thanks to @Golum for taking a punt on this tube an enlightening us on its virtues. I'll soon be borrowing a pair of the Acme 300Bs to try in the DAC. I'll be sure to report here what my findings are. I'll be comparing it to the RK PX25, Elrog 300Bs, KR 242.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

My Acme 274 b has around 100h so probably fully burn-in and it is my no 1 , no 2 being NOS Fivre from late 50's and no 3 RK 5U4G.
I have not tried Tak though.
As by Adamaley my Acme is paired with KR PX 25 but regular version ,not RK.
Very curious about his findings for Acme 300 B .

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Being armed with a recently restored and calibrated valve tester is both a good thing and a bringer of bad news.

So which brands have tested well/close to spec that might go in a Lampizator?

Well all my EML and KR valves were purchased either direct from KR or from JAC Music.

None of them are what I would call very good. Or even good.

This is REALLY disappointing. They really need to apply better quality control and release them close to spec and it is obvious they just are NOT doing it.

Even Psvane aren't great. My 2A3 fall way short of where they should be.

Are they bad enough to sound bad? Well, no, but the percentage figure deviation from spec is way too high for comfort IMHO.

Acceptably excellent readings have come from ElectroHarmonix, Chatham, Tesla, OTK.

I would suspect Tung-Sol and Marconi would be too, but mine are used. But they are about 80% and 90% of new spec respectively. Still very good considering the age.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Moving outside to 211 valves, of which I have the most of any type of valve, then GE, RCA, Shuguang all measure remarkably constantly, almost exactly the same over all the quads I have.

Amperex, the ones I use and that I have put many, many hours on, measure stronger by about 15% and again consistently so.

All good here then. Excellent valve, the 211, and obviously well made by all the above brands. Surprised with Shuguang TBH, but hey, they have done good with their cheap 211 spec wise. And they sound great considering the cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing