Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you notice difference in transparency wrt to PX25?

Reactions: gian60

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I would say they are a bit more transparent vs PX25

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Hi there !
There is something I would like to share with you, Lampi owners. I have a few rectis and sometimes I change them “on the fly” to compare. After listening for a few minutes four of my rectis I found, when I come back to my first and favorite tube, the music (the tube) just sounds better. Only because the rolling session was done. Especially bas is more tight. For me it’s good to give a Lampi the “recti rolling session” once a week.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm on a bummer phase with KR tubes.

I prefer both EML AD1 and EML 45 globe mesh to any KR I have tried - 242, PX4, PX25, RK 300B etc.

EML AD1 is the best, unquestionably. And I am not saying that just because no one has them, I am saying that because I really think it is the best overall.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

I prefer both EML AD1 and EML 45 globe mesh to any KR I have tried - 242, PX4, PX25, RK 300B etc.

EML AD1 is the best, unquestionably. And I am not saying that just because no one has them, I am saying that because I really think it is the best overall.
Well that is the beauty of this sport. I completelly disagree with you, but on another hand I appriciate your view and your ears. So each needs to try as many as possible and find their best tube on his own listening. Everyrhing else is just a guideline...IMHO

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi there !
There is something I would like to share with you, Lampi owners. I have a few rectis and sometimes I change them “on the fly” to compare. After listening for a few minutes four of my rectis I found, when I come back to my first and favorite tube, the music (the tube) just sounds better. Only because the rolling session was done. Especially bas is more tight. For me it’s good to give a Lampi the “recti rolling session” once a week.

Hi Trab
You say that just by swapping tubes, your favorite recti afterwards does not only sound better than the other ones (obviously) but also better than it did itself before swapping around?
Do I understand you correctly?

Do you have an explanation for this?

Maybe cleaning the socket and pins just by inserting and taking out the rectifires?

Or maybe the different rectifiers cause the Lampi to regulate to the different voltage needs of the different rectifiers and by swapping readjust (a possible drift) also for the original favorite rectifier?

Don't you think it is possible that by swapping to the "lesser" rectifiers, you afterwards just like your favorite even more again?

I also swap a lot but my experience is the one above, just returning to the favorite is a good feeling ;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well that is the beauty of this sport. I completelly disagree with you, but on another hand I appriciate your view and your ears. So each needs to try as many as possible and find their best tube on his own listening. Everyrhing else is just a guideline...IMHO

Indeed.

I even find myself a bit variable on valve rolling TBH. Initially I quite liked the KR 300B. Now I've grown to actively dislike it. That's made obvious by the appearance of AD1 as reviewed at the beginning of the thread.

It's a bit easy to really try to like a new valve you just spent a fair amount of money on. An indeed just because it's new and a change is as good as a rest, you may initially think you like it. It's the test of time/usage that separates the kiddies from the boys, though.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

I was able to try the AD1 and because it came so highly praised from you, I really wanted to like it (more), but for me, in my GG and my system, I preferred the 242 and PX25 by quite a margin. Also having the EML 45 mesh AnniGlobes, the AD1 doesn't offer enough difference, I have the EML mesh sound already covered. If I didn't already have the AGs, maybe the AD1 would appeal more to me...

I concur with you about the RK300b and the RK PX4 to a certain degree.
I quite like the RK 300b (in fact my favorite 300b) but I just prefer the 242 and the PX25.
The RK PX4 unfortunately doesn't click with me at all, I just find it nothing special.
This is all in my systems and for my taste ;)

Reactions: Golum

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Hi Trab
You say that just by swapping tubes, your favorite recti afterwards does not only sound better than the other ones (obviously) but also better than it did itself before swapping around?
Do I understand you correctly?

Do you have an explanation for this?

Maybe cleaning the socket and pins just by inserting and taking out the rectifires?

Or maybe the different rectifiers cause the Lampi to regulate to the different voltage needs of the different rectifiers and by swapping readjust (a possible drift) also for the original favorite rectifier?

Don't you think it is possible that by swapping to the "lesser" rectifiers, you afterwards just like your favorite even more again?

I also swap a lot but my experience is the one above, just returning to the favorite is a good feeling ;)

Yes, you do understand me correctly :)

My U52 Marconi sounds better after rolling, and in the bass frequencies the change is significant.

Explanation ?

Mayby it is due to the different types of tubes I use in the rolling session (5U4G, 5R4GY, GZ34, U52) ?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I
I was able to try the AD1 and because it came so highly praised from you, I really wanted to like it (more), but for me, in my GG and my system, I preferred the 242 and PX25 by quite a margin. Also having the EML 45 mesh AnniGlobes, the AD1 doesn't offer enough difference, I have the EML mesh sound already covered. If I didn't already have the AGs, maybe the AD1 would appeal more to me...

I concur with you about the RK300b and the RK PX4 to a certain degree.
I quite like the RK 300b (in fact my favorite 300b) but I just prefer the 242 and the PX25.
The RK PX4 unfortunately doesn't click with me at all, I just find it nothing special.
This is all in my systems and for my taste ;)

Interesting. I regard AD1 as sounding very different to GM 45. I'll do a review comparing the two to say what I observe.

But yeah. Gotta like what you like:)

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My KR RK 300B are on the bay.

It's unfortunate I purchased mine before you chose to put yours up for sale. Mine will most likely be going up for sale in a week. I've had them for about a week and I don't see them supplanting my current fave.

So, it's been quite the trip determining what tube complement will be the mainstay in my Golden Gate 2 setup. I started off with the Takatsuki 274B rectifier and the KR PX4, EML 300B XLS. The PX4 was quickly eliminated - it's not as quiet as the EML and sounded muddy and anemic paired with the Tak recti. The Tak recti was a decent bedfellow with the EML 300B XLS. They made good music together, and if I hadn't introduced any additional players into the mix, I would have been happy with this combo.

As fortune would have it I possess a pair of new production Elrog 300Bs that I use in my amplifier. Testing them on the DAC meant I had to go without them in the amp, which presented a conundrum since they are my reference tube in my Line Magnetic 508ia. With the EML 300B XLS in the amp and Elrog 300B in the DAC the sound was uncontrolled and overly sweet with too much gloss. I was quite taken aback by this since the Elrog's contribution to my amp its time of introduction was everything but what I was experiencing now in the DAC.

Welcome the KR 5U4G RK rectifier. A stout contender to rectifier duties. For some odd reason, the Elrog 300B got along better with the RK 5U4G rectifier than it did with the Tak recti. On the flip side, the EML 300Bs had an affinity for the Tak recti over the RK rectifier. Go figure.

Vacation beckoned, and I had to grudgingly return the EML 300Bs to their owner. Prior to leaving, I took delivery of a pair of KR 242s. Now, I had done my homework prior to purchasing my Golden Gate 2 and requested Lukasz to mod the DAC to be able to accomodate the increased gain of the 242s. For a few days, I gave the 242s a shot in my system. As we all know, they are high gain, tend to be extremely punchy/edgy, and can overwhelm many a listener. And yes, overwhelmed I was, so I stashed them away and took a break from the madness while I escaped on vacation.

While away, I placed an order for the RK 300B KRs. These are more linear than the EML 300B XLS, and more resolving and transparent. I really preferred them to the EMLs. I switched them around with the Elrogs, RK 300Bs in the amp, Elrogs in the DAC and BAMMMM!!! I had a smile on my face. I was getting it finally. With either the Tak or RK 5U4G as recti, this combination was sublime. Recti preference was the Tak. It had a way of doing the Z-plane layering that the RK couldn't match. It was just as transparent and resolving, but it presented detail in a more subtle manner. It gave up air to the RK, but that was a trade-off I could live with. The RK came into its own whenever I switched to classical music. It was a champ at delineating and individuating instruments.

Life was good but not perfect. Something was missing. How did I know this? I had heard elements of it with the 242 - drive, solidity, silence, tension between notes. What if........

What if I could keep all those positive attributes of the 242 and somehow put some meat on its architecture? Get a bit of a halo around its notes. Get some condensation on some of the breaths it took. My AC cables (Verastarr Grand Illusions) were of the sinewy disposition - copacetic with the former iteration of my system, and very much in step with the 300B sound to keep leading edges intact, and allow resolution and dynamics to pop.

In went an Acoustic Zen Absolute cable. Moving it progressively from amp back to power conditioner, I preferred it on my Sonore Signature Rendu LPS powering my Ultrarendu. A step after this component was too much muddying of the waters. A step behind didn't allow its virtues to be heralded. This position was just right. I was getting mad midrange magic. Voices were projecting better through the mix now. They were still slightly reticent in releasing overtones and harmonic information.

Fast forward a week later and I introduce a Sablon Audio Gran Corona cable to replace the Verstarr Grand Illusion PC powering my power conditioner, which powers all other components and every clicked into place. There was increased transparency and harmonic richness. I was suddenly in awe of what this DAC does.

Moral of the story - I would have loved to have settled on something other than the 242s as my favorites for this DAC. Why? Because the contrarian in me would have rejoiced. Plus, the 300Bs look so much sexier than the puny 242s that are like the kid in school who never grew after hitting puberty. It's simply more aesthetically pleasing when the output tubes are bigger than the rectifier...oh well.

The 242s simply provide more information in an extremely controlled manner. Every note tells a story as opposed to just a part of a story. It's amazing. They are hardest to incorporate into an established system but they will reward all efforts to make them work in ones system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's unfortunate I purchased mine before you chose to put yours up for sale. Mine will most likely be going up for sale in a week. I've had them for about a week and I don't see them supplanting my current fave.

So, it's been quite the trip determining what tube complement will be the mainstay in my Golden Gate 2 setup. I started off with the Takatsuki 274B rectifier and the KR PX4, EML 300B XLS. The PX4 was quickly eliminated - it's not as quiet as the EML and sounded muddy and anemic paired with the Tak recti. The Tak recti was a decent bedfellow with the EML 300B XLS. They made good music together, and if I hadn't introduced any additional players into the mix, I would have been happy with this combo.

As fortune would have it I possess a pair of new production Elrog 300Bs that I use in my amplifier. Testing them on the DAC meant I had to go without them in the amp, which presented a conundrum since they are my reference tube in my Line Magnetic 508ia. With the EML 300B XLS in the amp and Elrog 300B in the DAC the sound was uncontrolled and overly sweet with too much gloss. I was quite taken aback by this since the Elrog's contribution to my amp its time of introduction was everything but what I was experiencing now in the DAC.

Welcome the KR 5U4G RK rectifier. A stout contender to rectifier duties. For some odd reason, the Elrog 300B got along better with the RK 5U4G rectifier than it did with the Tak recti. On the flip side, the EML 300Bs had an affinity for the Tak recti over the RK rectifier. Go figure.

Vacation beckoned, and I had to grudgingly return the EML 300Bs to their owner. Prior to leaving, I took delivery of a pair of KR 242s. Now, I had done my homework prior to purchasing my Golden Gate 2 and requested Lukasz to mod the DAC to be able to accomodate the increased gain of the 242s. For a few days, I gave the 242s a shot in my system. As we all know, they are high gain, tend to be extremely punchy/edgy, and can overwhelm many a listener. And yes, overwhelmed I was, so I stashed them away and took a break from the madness while I escaped on vacation.

While away, I placed an order for the RK 300B KRs. These are more linear than the EML 300B XLS, and more resolving and transparent. I really preferred them to the EMLs. I switched them around with the Elrogs, RK 300Bs in the amp, Elrogs in the DAC and BAMMMM!!! I had a smile on my face. I was getting it finally. With either the Tak or RK 5U4G as recti, this combination was sublime. Recti preference was the Tak. It had a way of doing the Z-plane layering that the RK couldn't match. It was just as transparent and resolving, but it presented detail in a more subtle manner. It gave up air to the RK, but that was a trade-off I could live with. The RK came into its own whenever I switched to classical music. It was a champ at delineating and individuating instruments.

Life was good but not perfect. Something was missing. How did I know this? I had heard elements of it with the 242 - drive, solidity, silence, tension between notes. What if........

What if I could keep all those positive attributes of the 242 and somehow put some meat on its architecture? Get a bit of a halo around its notes. Get some condensation on some of the breaths it took. My AC cables (Verastarr Grand Illusions) were of the sinewy disposition - copacetic with the former iteration of my system, and very much in step with the 300B sound to keep leading edges intact, and allow resolution and dynamics to pop.

In went an Acoustic Zen Absolute cable. Moving it progressively from amp back to power conditioner, I preferred it on my Sonore Signature Rendu LPS powering my Ultrarendu. A step after this component was too much muddying of the waters. A step behind didn't allow its virtues to be heralded. This position was just right. I was getting mad midrange magic. Voices were projecting better through the mix now. They were still slightly reticent in releasing overtones and harmonic information.

Fast forward a week later and I introduce a Sablon Audio Gran Corona cable to replace the Verstarr Grand Illusion PC powering my power conditioner, which powers all other components and every clicked into place. There was increased transparency and harmonic richness. I was suddenly in awe of what this DAC does.

Moral of the story - I would have loved to have settled on something other than the 242s as my favorites for this DAC. Why? Because the contrarian in me would have rejoiced. Plus, the 300Bs look so much sexier than the puny 242s that are like the kid in school who never grew after hitting puberty. It's simply more aesthetically pleasing when the output tubes are bigger than the rectifier...oh well.

The 242s simply provide more information in an extremely controlled manner. Every note tells a story as opposed to just a part of a story. It's amazing. They are hardest to incorporate into an established system but they will reward all efforts to make them work in ones system.

Your last para, plus the statement that every note tells a story implies you are hearing them at their best. Congrats.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Hi Adam
In the GG2, we really liked the KR PX25 a LOT. I liked the KR PX25 and the regular KR 242 almost the same, but the other three pairs of ears preferred the KR PX25 over the KR 242 in the GG2 :cool:

Or if you want to stay with the 242 Sound but better looking (and probably also better sounding ;)) you could get a pair of the brand new RK series KR 242.
Goran tells me, that he loves the new RK series KR242 as much as the KR PX25 in his GG2

And to make things a little more complicated, I heard that there will be an RK series KR PX25 in the future :D

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I definitely plan on giving the PX25s a shot. For now, I'd like to digest what I am experiencing with my system. It's worth pointing out that I am running the DAC directly into an integrated amp but I'm bypassing the volume pot of the integrated. Balancing the gain of the entire setup is crucial, especially so since the bypass mode of this amp doesn't actually bypass the gain stage - the 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes are still in play. Consequently, I have concerns about the PX25s and how they will fare without a preamp in the mix.

Regarding the new RK 242 - if what I am hearing about it is true, then it must take priority over any other addition to the mix. Hopefully Gollum can expound some more on their virtues after an extended time with them.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I empathise with the 242 statement. They do look a bit pathetic against other offerings and I feel they also look a bit cheap.

But it is sound that counts so enjoy! Good you have found something you really like.

Me? I was enjoying the Cunningham CX-345 last night from about 100 years ago. Really enjoyed them. Then I put AD1 in and, well, they are a lot better in hi-fi terms. But I still really like the Cunningham's presentation especially with electric guitars.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW just looked at the start of this thread. I have had the AD1 for more than 3 months now and I still maintain in my setup it is killer and definitely better than 242 or PX25. So it is standing the test of time.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

The KR 242s are tremendous performers - depth, scale, dynamics etc. It did take some time and effort to optimise the Lampi, including returning my GG1 to base on a couple of occasions for mods and repairs.

What do you use to feed the GG2?

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The KR 242s are tremendous performers - depth, scale, dynamics etc. It did take some time and effort to optimise the Lampi, including returning my GG1 to base on a couple of occasions for mods and repairs.

What do you use to feed the GG2?

Guys should go here and listen. It is next to a kuzma xl4 with 4p, atlas, and Ypsilon phono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing