Lampizator Pacific Vs Chord Dave + M Scaler

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I am looking for a new DAC to go with my Aqua LinQ streamer and KR Audio P135 DHT preamp.

I'm considering both the Pacific and Dave + M Scaler.

I also have the MSB Discrete w/power supply on the radar.

I currently own a R2R dac with DHT output which sounds fantastic, so I guess I want the same lush tone but if I can get even better detail and instrument separation then great.

Logically the Pacific will be best as I already like the DHT (45) DAC sound, however how can I ignore the Dave and M Scaler...the glowing reviews are ubiquitous!

Not interested in the Aqua Formula, I don't feel that it is good value.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I upgraded from Dave +HMS to Pacific. I loved the Dave, but there is really no comparison. The upgrade was the biggest in my life. It was immediate and spanned the full spectrum of every quality I enjoy in audio. First 3 seconds blew me away. A good friend who isnt really into Hifi was sitting with me when we installed it (he helped move it in). He knew my system well. Anyway, he was blown away. He kept saying “beautiful“ over and over…. It inspired him to go buy a headphone rig… In other words, Pacific.

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
I upgraded from Dave +HMS to Pacific. I loved the Dave, but there is really no comparison. The upgrade was the biggest in my life. It was immediate and spanned the full spectrum of every quality I enjoy in audio. First 3 seconds blew me away. A good friend who isnt really into Hifi was sitting with me when we installed it (he helped move it in). He knew my system well. Anyway, he was blown away. He kept saying “beautiful“ over and over…. It inspired him to go buy a headphone rig… In other words, Pacific.
I’ve not heard the Pacific. However I recently upgraded my DAVE/M SCALER by adding the Sean Jacobs DC4/ARC LPSU to the DAVE. Expensive at $10K. However, it was the single most significant upgrade yet to my system. Immediately richer and at the same time more transparent textures, more solid bass, more expansive soundstage. It enhanced everything I enjoy about my system. I describe the effect as exponential. Of course, for the cost of DAVE/M SCALER plus the LPSU you should be able to compete with almost anything. Good luck. Synergy I suppose is also important as is one’s personal taste. I run Tannoy Kensington GR speakers with hybrid Pathos InPol Heritage integrated. They replaced D’Agostino and Rockports so that gives you an idea of what I am looking for sound wise. At least for now.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
PS I had 2X SJ PSU for Dave and HMS at the time of upgrading to Pacific, as described above.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
PS I had 2X SJ PSU for Dave and HMS at the time of upgrading to Pacific, as described above.
I can understand the impact of the differences you experienced between these two DACs. Absolutely subjective, no argument whatsoever.

I can however imagine that the Pacific DAC took you to a very different place.
Charles

Reactions: dgale

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Wow! Way ahead of me. I have a Teddy Pardo LPSU on the M Scaler. Did you find benefit in adding the SJ to your M Scaler?

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@Nuforce Can ho report back what you decided? I am currently listining to a Chord DAVE with Farad upgraded power supply. I was using an M-scaler with my Innuos streamer but now have a Grimm MU1 streamer that also does the upscaling.

One concern is that the Lampi's seem to be optomized for USB inputs and my Grimm does not have USB. It is optomized for AES/EBU.

thanks,
Jerry

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I recently tried the Audio GD R7HE which is the one Stereophile raved about, but after two weeks of comparison Vs my Acuhorn R2R T with emission labs 45 mesh globes I sold it.

Hifi is a funny game, and I'm not actually convinced the Pacific would trounce my Acuhorn, however it is still on my radar as a until I'd like to try.

I use an Aqua LinQ FYI.

Reactions: Carlsbad

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I had the MScaler + Farad supply Wave Storm cables to the Dave (std power). I know have the Pacific. The Pacific makes the Dave sound a bit crude and thin

Reactions: Sampajanna

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@Anyoldears I feel confident I'm going to find a good upgrade. I've actually had a DAC here that I liked slightly better but soon as it left, the DAVE went back to sounding great. It is great to be upgrading from a place that is already pretty darn good. Right now I'm leaning toward the GG3.

Reactions: bonzo75

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
How much is GG3?

I've my eye on the used pacifics on the Lampizator PDF...next year I'm hoping! I want a gold one

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@Nuforce So we can relax, we are not in competition for the same things. GG3 SE with VC is $21K. I like black. If I go Pacific I'll have to go Pacific 2 to get AES/EBU or else change streamers.

Is the Pacific on USAM now not gold?

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
@Carlsbad have you asked Lampizator what it costs to upgrade the GG2 to GG3? There is a really nice GG2 for sale by one of the members here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing