CH Precision C1 vs Chord DAVE with M Scaler ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I had a Dave/Mscaler w/ 2X SJ PSU for years (Wavestorm cables are also a must). It is excellent. I compared to many Highend dacs right here and it was as good, slightly better or slightly worse than many (even when worse it was marginal and not worth the hassle and money to switch). For me, in my system, that all changed when I got a Lampi in house to hear. It made my friend cry. It was the biggest upgrade in my system to date. I would still not hesitate to recommend Dave, especially with PSU and Storm cables. But the Pacific or Horizon are both major upgrades and when you add the cost of all the cables and power supplies, you are close if not at a used Pacific….

Not a huge CH fan, TBH. I agree with Caesar…. I have heard the Playback, though and that would be my other choice if not Lampi. The MPD8 is epic, especially when paired with the transport/streamer using their Plink cable. To get to or beyond these choices, you would have to jump up in price significantly….
Thank you very much 'Sampajanna' for your very interesting and informative post. Very much appreciated.

Yes, agree the High Fidelity Wavestorm digital BNC cables are definitely a must for the Chord DAVE & M Scaler / Blu combo.

I have heard a TOTL Lampizator DAC on two separate occasions (a Golden Gate some yeard back and a Pacific this year) at a UK Hifi Show linked to a speaker system with electrostatic speakers. It sounded amazing, in fact one of the best sounding systems of both shows. It didn't sound digital at all, more like analogue with a lot more micro details.
Just thinking though a tube DAC linked to a tube pre-amp in my EF1000 maybe overkill with tubes. Only guessing this. Would be good to hear a Lampi DAC conencted to my EF1000 and Susvara headphone set-up.

Never heard of 'Playback' equipment. Will do some research on Google.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Just thinking though a tube DAC linked to a tube pre-amp in my EF1000 maybe overkill with tubes. Only guessing this. Would be good to hear a Lampi DAC conencted to my EF1000 and Susvara headphone set-up.
Just Fwiw, lampi don't have a stereotypical tube sound instead leaning much more into energy and encisiveness. Unless the ef1000 is super-goo tubes I don't think you should simply write it off.

Plus, lampi has some used Pacific's for sale from Poland right now that may be worth a look. Very very good pricing on them if you want to try it.

Since your system is in the UK, both audio note and sw1x may be worth a shot as well as both have fairly generous home demo terms.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just Fwiw, lampi don't have a stereotypical tube sound instead leaning much more into energy and encisiveness. Unless the ef1000 is super-good tubes I don't think you should simply write it off.

Plus, lampi has some used Pacific's for sale from Poland right now that may be worth a look. Very very good pricing on them if you want to try it.

Since your system is in the UK, both audio note and sw1x may be worth a shot as well as both have fairly generous home demo terms.
Thank you 'eskamobob1'. More food for thought.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Just Fwiw, lampi don't have a stereotypical tube sound instead leaning much more into energy and encisiveness. Unless the ef1000 is super-good tubes I don't think you should simply write it off.

Wow :eek:
15k for a pre-loved and factory checked Pacific sounds like dream :cool:

Reactions: eskamobob1

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Yes 15k is excellent. I would seriously consider that. And I agree fully that the Pacific is not tube sounding at all. Neither is my Horizon really. Of course, an audition is always ideal.

Also, I appreciate your kindness as well. Nice to meet audiophiles like you!

Reactions: christoph

Skanda

May 2, 2020
these days i have a tough time justifying a dac that doesnt have a built in streamer (usually via an ethernet port). i love my taiko extreme though i was very hesitant about buying it given the cost and the simple argument that bits are bits. my thought process here is different: i would personally buy a unit that has a built in streamer and then later add in a top notch server (taiko, aurender, pink faun, pachanko - many great choices) preferably from the used market to save some of the cash outlay. i would not skimp on the server since i have seen the improvement going from none, to cheap, to high end, to summit. there is alot to be said about minimizing boxes (top of mind for me right now as i am setting up a second system and dont want to deal with so many boxes and cables)

so, if you have a functional system right now, i'd either save budget for a top notch server or wait a year or so until more manufacturers release dacs that can take an ethernet in. if budget and boxes are not a concern, i would upgrade the server first and then you might find that you don't need a new dac.

Reactions: musicfirst1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing