Lampizator Big 7

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
I have to agree, all things in hi-fi are massively system and listener dependent.

I've been surprised though by the level of impact the recti makes on any given output tube - it does seem the output tubes and recti have to have the right interaction/synergy for any one tube type to sound its best.

I've also been surprised by the varying output level of different tubes. I've been very careful to measure and note the in room SPL with different tubes when comparing them, otherwise its impossible to get a like for like comparison (given that even a 1dB variation can sway preference).

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The thin comment is relative to a 300b being heavy
And classical for me needs a tube to give wide staging and not bloat but linear over all. A 101d is such a tube.
As for me agreeing not in whole but in part.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Measure less listen more
I have found that measuring leads to never being happy and always trying to fix what’s not broken
Or fix this and break that. Your not wrong to measure but listening leads to happiness.
At one point i tried dsp a d wow it was amazing how everything sounded great. Until I realized until everything sounded the same meaning dsp became the sound. No longer the recording or even the chain. Changing tubes or dacs was barely discernible

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Measure less listen more
I have found that measuring leads to never being happy and always trying to fix what’s not broken (...)

Although we partially agree :), I strongly disagree when comparing tubes in non-feedback circuits. If you do not have a measuring tool 90% of time you will be listening at different levels in the comparison. But yes, you will probably be happy ...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The odd measurebate doesn't hurt. But yeah, it doesn't influence the valves I actually listen to or prefer.

I used DIRAC for a bit then dumped it for the sort of reasons you are getting at.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t mean to be combative and my posts come from passion as I suspect we all do. Let’s say how we feel always and put asside apples and oranges overall. In short we are fruits just different types
I learn even from those who I don’t agree with it’s all part of this quest.
Almost Anything I post is from i did it or inown it or I had it.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Love the post lol. I use my iPhone and I have mics /software too. Playing is always better and keeps me sane.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It will be overloading the preamp. There's no way earlier standard B7s were ever designed to take 242. The same thing happened when I tried Keds in mine.

If you want to use it, you'll have to send it back to Lampizator for a modification.

Personally I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of other great valves out there for it not to be worth the effort. Ked won't agree, but hey.

My own advice is to ignore anything anyone says about any valve (well, almost - it is impossible not to be influenced), and try some older NOS triodes as well as some of the more recent manufacturers. Each will change the sound in their own way, and that change simply isn't related to their cost. It is a voyage of personal discovery for you, and you definitely should not follow the advice of anyone. The best valve in one system won't be the best valve in another, and factoring in personal preference on top of that means there is no best valve.

With all due respect Justin, you cant generalize like that. Lukasz discovered the 242 during the Big7 era and my B7 was the ONLY Dac so far that played the 242 perfectly. It made the B7 almost equal to the early GG I had. I had a month overlap with the 2 dacs...so it was head to head.

242 is a matter of output and impedance matching to the downstream electronics.

I suggest that Wookii try all the easy solutions first to "fix" the 242 issue. I am sure its Worth it.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As for my favorite tubes
It’s 242 , 2A3 ,we275 baby 2A3 and px25
Different recti needs for each.
But this is in my system and does mean it matches others. The 242 tube is special and worth chasing
Also if your dac is balanced do this.
The rear two tubes alone and use Se output
This cuts the output by a lot not sure how much perhaps half bi it should be enough to fix your issue temp. Try and let us know

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wookii...try running the dac in SE mode too and see if the lower output works better for you when using 242.

This could work. Bal for all other tubes. AL can tell you how to connect Dac SE to your Bal preamp. In SE mode...you only use the 2 rear sockets.

If this works you can sell a pair of the 242s and pocket the difference.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
This cuts the output by a lot not sure how much perhaps half bi it should be enough to fix your issue temp. Try and let us know

Wookii...try running the dac in SE mode too and see if the lower output works better for you when using 242.

This could work. Bal for all other tubes. AL can tell you how to connect Dac SE to your Bal preamp. In SE mode...you only use the 2 rear sockets.

If this works you can sell a pair of the 242s and pocket the difference.

Thanks guys - yes, I did think of trying the SE output to see if that eliminates the distortion - the SE output is 300mV vs 600mV Balanced (using KR 45's per Lampi spec sheet), so half the output.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
With all due respect Justin, you cant generalize like that. Lukasz discovered the 242 during the Big7 era and my B7 was the ONLY Dac so far that played the 242 perfectly. It made the B7 almost equal to the early GG I had. I had a month overlap with the 2 dacs...so it was head to head.

242 is a matter of output and impedance matching to the downstream electronics.

I suggest that Wookii try all the easy solutions first to "fix" the 242 issue. I am sure its Worth it.

I gave that some slack in my later post as you have probably read... but to suggest that the 242 is killer above all is unrealistic, I say without having ever tried it. But I have been valve rolling for decades Norman... it is going to be hard to surprise me. I am currently running about 30 valves in total in my system.

I do however accept that some people really, really like it. Fair enough:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks guys - yes, I did think of trying the SE output to see if that eliminates the distortion - the SE output is 300mA vs 600mA Balanced (using KR 45's per Lampi spec sheet), so half the output.

300 mA output in a DAC? Lampizator's are really different! :confused:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I gave that some slack in my later post as you have probably read... but to suggest that the 242 is killer above all is unrealistic, I say without having ever tried it. But I have been valve rolling for decades Norman... it is going to be hard to surprise me. I am currently running about 30 valves in total in my system.

I do however accept that some people really, really like it. Fair enough:)

You have been both valve rolling and saying things without trying for decades. Respect

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
You have been both valve rolling and saying things without trying for decades. Respect

Yup - for decades longer than you have been into the hobby... and the tiny amount of time you have actually owned a system that is up and running.

If I haven't tried something I will admit it, as I did, and gave respect to those that really like the 242.

What do you want, Ked?

I plead not guilty.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The respect is strong in this one.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Justin, you preferred the Amperex for your system in your amp. You, Mark, I, Rob, preferred the Amperex in two amps at Mark's place. No doubt for anyone. Slam dunk.

With 242 you will have similar unanimity. Caveat is it needs to work. I told you, do a trip down to Wales. Or, travel to Liechtenstein, also a great place for a weekend with the wife, and listen to 242 and scintillas.

But till then, You can have 20 more years of experience, what's the point of guessing if you haven't heard the product workinG? You can of course fill in for Keith Purite whom I sorely miss. The tube is worth the chase for a digital based system with a Lampi. Also please appreciate we all have much more advanced models of the Lampi.

There seems to be unanimity in the 242, special 45, PX25 / PX4 hierarchy where it works. Each time someone says he isn't liking one of those tubes, it is actually not working properly in his system. It is either sounding wimpy, flabby, too harsh, etc

There are newer tubes now that I haven't investigated.

The gain and impedance match is causing more acceptance and rejection than the tube flavor. The tube flavor is second,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It makes as much difference as your Amperex did, possibly more, at 400 quid for a pair.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing