Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That will happen when Ron starts recommending tubes

Though depending on the recommendation it might be Justin that has actually hacked... Have to wait and see

• Haha
Reactions: Golum and christoph

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Interesting.
Usually, findings rather trickle down from SOTA to the lower, more modest models, while here it looks like it went the other way around :cool:
[/USER]
True research and development is not..."directional"...it constitutes and is comprised of a body of knowledge that can be utllized with insight and effectiveness (doing the right thing) in an efficient (doing things right) manner for product design, development, and manufacturing. They are foundational precepts for research and engineering.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Golum

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Hello Stephen,

I agree with Marty! I enjoyed your beautifully-written review!

Which rectifier tube have you settled upon now?
Hi Ron,
Thank you, Ron, that is very gracious. For the time being, I've settled on the EML 274B rectifier. Although, the the EML 5U4G is pretty sweet, too. I find they're kinda like single-malt scotches...which "flavor" do want tonight, an Islay Malt or a Speyside Malt? ;)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,
Thank you. For the time being, I've settled on the EML 274B rectifier. Although, the the EML 5U4G is pretty sweet, too. I find they're kinda like single-malt scotches...which "flavor" do want tonight, an Islay Malt or a Speyside Malt? ;)

Thank you, Stephen. I am still a long way, time-wise, from making a decision, but I am assuming presently I will buy a Baltic 3. (My only other tube contender is one of the SW1X DACs.)

Reactions: Puma Cat

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Thank you, Stephen. I am still a long way, time-wise, from making a decision, but I am assuming presently I will buy a Baltic 3. (My only other tube contender is one of the SW1X DACs.)
Thanks, Ron. I just put my Baltic 3 back into the system in place of the Holo May KTE I've been running in for a friend. The Holo May is nice, but the Baltic 3 is just on another level altogether, and most importantly, it's considerably more musically engaging and involving. Not even close, actually. I just love the Baltic 3...:):)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks, Ron. I just put my Baltic 3 back into the system in place of the Holo May KTE I've been running in for a friend. The Holo May is nice, but the Baltic 3 is just on another level altogether, and most importantly, it's considerably more musically engaging and involving. Not even close, actually. I just love the Baltic 3...:):)

That is a very interesting comparison! Thank you for that informal report!

Reactions: Puma Cat

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That will happen when Ron starts recommending tubes

I will be receiving, not transmitting, tube recommendations. You know what I like -- just tell me which rectifier to buy!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Since more than 1 year the Antipodes K50 (changed to silver and the actual K50 version a couple of weeks ago)
is feeding the Baltic 3 (using AES/EBU connection) I tried different tube set ups.

But for any reason I stopped exchanging the tubes und just continue to listen to music, which could mean, that the current mix of tubes matches in a ways, that I do not feel the need to customize the sound further.

Their might be "better" alternatives out there, but I am just happy as it is :)

IMG_7489.jpg IMG_7491.jpg IMG_7493.jpg IMG_7490.jpg IMG_7492.jpg IMG_7494.jpg

You can see on the pics the tubes in use.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ron,
Thank you, Ron, that is very gracious. For the time being, I've settled on the EML 274B rectifier. Although, the the EML 5U4G is pretty sweet, too. I find they're kinda like single-malt scotches...which "flavor" do want tonight, an Islay Malt or a Speyside Malt? ;)
Those two recties are both not among my favorites.
Did you try the Riccardo Kron Edition RK 5u4g as well?
What other rectifier tubes did you try so far?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Nope.

Just the one that came with the Lampi...some Soviet-era rectifier.
Based on the latest info from quite a few of my trusted ear buddies this recti if you give it sufficient burn in time sings magnificient and over run some of the tubes which hold top spots here ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Based on the latest info from quite a few of my trusted ear buddies this recti if you give it sufficient burn in time sings magnificient and over run some of the tubes which hold top spots here ;)
How many hours would that be? :oops:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Can't quantify but this tube resembles the "The Ugly Duckling" fairy tale story ;)
I think I have one of those gathering dust somewhere.
I will give it some more hours

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I think I have one of those gathering dust somewhere.
I will give it some more hours
I’m sure you have it as I’ve sent you that one :p

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I have a stash of various NOS 5 volt rectifiers from my DIY amp building days but the best rectifier so far is the new production Sophia Aqua 274B. I know that Lampizator writes that the rectifier and the 12Au7 output tubes contribute far less than the 6SN7 tubes but in my experience the rectifier makes a very big difference. To be fair I did not give the stock tubes much time in the DAC. I may give the Soviet tube more time after reading the positive remarks above. I am currently using some Kenrad VT231's and some Telefunken 12Au7s in the other positions. This is a remarkable DAC and tube rolling is icing on the cake...

Reactions: christoph

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I have a stash of various NOS 5 volt rectifiers from my DIY amp building days but the best rectifier so far is the new production Sophia Aqua 274B. I know that Lampizator writes that the rectifier and the 12Au7 output tubes contribute far less than the 6SN7 tubes but in my experience the rectifier makes a very big difference. To be fair I did not give the stock tubes much time in the DAC. I may give the Soviet tube more time after reading the positive remarks above. I am currently using some Kenrad VT231's and some Telefunken 12Au7s in the other positions. This is a remarkable DAC and tube rolling is icing on the cake...
I've found the rectifier made a big difference, as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing