LampizatOr Baltic 3

dhemen

Jun 19, 2019
Hello

I have been using the Baltic3 for 2 months almost. Although I haven't gone more than 150 hours on it I think it has completed the burn-in period as I don't hear any difference anymore.. I choose the copper top version which I think looks and feels spectacular.

My unit came with a Nos Russian 5u3c Rectifier (I guess Svetlana), Psvane Globe Blue 6sn7be (pricey for a stock tube, surprised) and Sylvania 6189/12au7

I currently have an analog setup and haven't listening anything from digital source for last 4-5 years as I always fell the harshness of digital files and i always preferred my analog setup. But due to the enormous advantages of digital world especially with the improved streamer services i wanted to give another try to digital with Lampizator Dac as what i read in reviews and user feedbacks that Lukas`s Dacs sound analogish and free of any digital glare.
Lukas directly pointed me to the Baltic3 Dac instead of other Dacs in his portfolio within my budget including TRP.

So, how it sounds?
On the first second you have been hit by its big and wide soundstage. But I mean really big :)
Absolutely musical piece of kit, totally free of any harshness, very forgiving on the upper mid frequencies so there is no fatigue even for long listening. Another key aspect for me is the separation of instruments. It is very very good, it delivers you nice airy 3D presentation and you can precisely catch everything in the soundstage..
Bass is in general has very good resolution and it is not as bold as many other equipment. It is fast, clear and i think well balanced. Listening a double bass or a Cello is a big pleasure..

As a source I am using Roon Nuclues which goes directly to USB input of the Baltic3 with Curious Evolved USB cable.

I should say Dac is sensitive with how you fed it, since I got the Dac i had several improvements on the source side such as USB cable, LPS for Nucleus, optic converter for the Ethernet line etc and there were clear changes in sound and Baltic is very capable of delivering these changes..

I have had the change to try
Takatsuki 274B - I love the sound characteristic of Takatsuki but cant put exactly in to words how it makes the music.. Smooth and transparent, very musical, light on bass but very airy soundstage. I couldn't afford the price and had to separate with this beauty.
RCA 1944 Jan 5u4g - It has improved the already big soundstage, a bit more vivid sound but no harshness. I prefer over the stock tube and enjoying it since last week..
Philips 6ns7 - The stock Psvane Globe destroyed it, it seems the Psvanes are quite good.. I dont have any experience on this type Pre Tubes. Will try some nice Nos alternatives soon like Tungsol vt-231 and see if there are any improvements over the Globes..
Telefunken 802S - As expected from a tube with such high reputation these one sounds better from bottom to end. However it is extremely transparent and might be risky for some clear sounding systems. Will compare these with Amperex 7316 when I receive my pair which is another highly rated tube.

But the more I tried different tubes I started to notice that Lukas and his team found a very good combination of tubes as stock because the stock combination delivers really good balance of everything.. I think the statement they made is quite true, they must had tried many options to select the ones they provide..

These are my honest opinions without having the pride of ownership.. I think it has a unique sound that goes well with every type of music.. From Jazz trios to progressive metal..

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 72

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Christoph, I tried to clumsily answer this on entry #6 of the previous page. I've had the B3 fo 4 weeks now and I still can't tell you that it sounds massively different than the GG1 DSD SE that I was mooching before. I can say that I am very happy with the performance after some pre-purchase trepidation that this would be inferior to the more than twice the parts and price GG1. I also like that it doesn't hang over the edge of my rack. I don't have a deep history of Lampi ownership as many others here do so I can't compare further from this or that. I understand that the B3 will be the subject of two N.A. reviews by non-Lampi folks. I'm guessing that they'll only have very nice things to say!
I asked and thanked you for your answer there :oops:
I'm sorry for my lack of memory :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hello

I have been using the Baltic3 for 2 months almost. Although I haven't gone more than 150 hours on it I think it has completed the burn-in period as I don't hear any difference anymore.. I choose the copper top version which I think looks and feels spectacular.

My unit came with a Nos Russian 5u3c Rectifier (I guess Svetlana), Psvane Globe Blue 6sn7be (pricey for a stock tube, surprised) and Sylvania 6189/12au7

I currently have an analog setup and haven't listening anything from digital source for last 4-5 years as I always fell the harshness of digital files and i always preferred my analog setup. But due to the enormous advantages of digital world especially with the improved streamer services i wanted to give another try to digital with Lampizator Dac as what i read in reviews and user feedbacks that Lukas`s Dacs sound analogish and free of any digital glare.
Lukas directly pointed me to the Baltic3 Dac instead of other Dacs in his portfolio within my budget including TRP.

So, how it sounds?
On the first second you have been hit by its big and wide soundstage. But I mean really big :)
Absolutely musical piece of kit, totally free of any harshness, very forgiving on the upper mid frequencies so there is no fatigue even for long listening. Another key aspect for me is the separation of instruments. It is very very good, it delivers you nice airy 3D presentation and you can precisely catch everything in the soundstage..
Bass is in general has very good resolution and it is not as bold as many other equipment. It is fast, clear and i think well balanced. Listening a double bass or a Cello is a big pleasure..

As a source I am using Roon Nuclues which goes directly to USB input of the Baltic3 with Curious Evolved USB cable.

I should say Dac is sensitive with how you fed it, since I got the Dac i had several improvements on the source side such as USB cable, LPS for Nucleus, optic converter for the Ethernet line etc and there were clear changes in sound and Baltic is very capable of delivering these changes..

I have had the change to try
Takatsuki 274B - I love the sound characteristic of Takatsuki but cant put exactly in to words how it makes the music.. Smooth and transparent, very musical, light on bass but very airy soundstage. I couldn't afford the price and had to separate with this beauty.
RCA 1944 Jan 5u4g - It has improved the already big soundstage, a bit more vivid sound but no harshness. I prefer over the stock tube and enjoying it since last week..
Philips 6ns7 - The stock Psvane Globe destroyed it, it seems the Psvanes are quite good.. I dont have any experience on this type Pre Tubes. Will try some nice Nos alternatives soon like Tungsol vt-231 and see if there are any improvements over the Globes..
Telefunken 802S - As expected from a tube with such high reputation these one sounds better from bottom to end. However it is extremely transparent and might be risky for some clear sounding systems. Will compare these with Amperex 7316 when I receive my pair which is another highly rated tube.

But the more I tried different tubes I started to notice that Lukas and his team found a very good combination of tubes as stock because the stock combination delivers really good balance of everything.. I think the statement they made is quite true, they must had tried many options to select the ones they provide..

These are my honest opinions without having the pride of ownership.. I think it has a unique sound that goes well with every type of music.. From Jazz trios to progressive metal..
Thanks for your elaborate write up. I'm quite sure the B3 is another sonic jewel from Lampizator :D
The B3 looks awesome in the Duracell color scheme :cool:

Reactions: Swisstrips

xdaggersoul

Jan 25, 2021
Singapore
Placed an order for the Baltic 3 after comparing various DAC's in the market against my Bel Canto DAC3.7. Demoed various dacs like Denafrip Term+, Mola Mola Tambaqui and Chord Dave. None of them gives me the upgrade itch over the Lampizator Atlantic I tried from the local dealer.
Bought a Sophia Electric 274B rectifier to go along.

Cant wait for it to arrive!

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Placed an order for the Baltic 3 after comparing various DAC's in the market against my Bel Canto DAC3.7. Demoed various dacs like Denafrip Term+, Mola Mola Tambaqui and Chord Dave. None of them gives me the upgrade itch over the Lampizator Atlantic I tried from the local dealer.
Bought a Sophia Electric 274B rectifier to go along.

Cant wait for it to arrive!

Congrats to your purchase! And... if you listened to the regular Atlantic and based your decision on that you will be blown away when you receive your Baltic! Just saying... :cool:

xdaggersoul

Jan 25, 2021
Singapore
Congrats to your purchase! And... if you listened to the regular Atlantic and based your decision on that you will be blown away when you receive your Baltic! Just saying... :cool:
Yes, I listened to the regular Atlantic and was blown away and I can only hope for the best with the B3. The dealer's Atlantic is now playing in my system until the B3 arrives,

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden

Thanks for such a good description of the sound, I completely agree, you put my thoughts and feelings into nice words... :)

I like that you've also started rolling some tubes, keep 'em coming! I'm just getting started myself and while it's not the legendary Tung-Sol VT231 I'm currently using Tung-Sol 6sn7wgt (from 1959) with great result. I agree about your findings about the Psvane blue globes as well, they're not bad at all, and as you put it, they seem to have found an extremely balanced and nice sound with the standard tubes. I really didn't feel any need to roll tubes, and at first I was almost scared to destroy or loose the wonderful character, but... there's too much fun to be had!

I'm currently waiting for a Psvane Acme 274b to arrive any minute now, and I'm also hoping that I'll get a KR 5u4g RK edition which I've ordered soon (the company seems very unresponsive, hmm...)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe ask if Lukasz can do Amber Amp with Baltic tube components :)
I guess that won't be feasible, the Amber3Amp is very packed and heavy and hot as it is already :oops:

Reactions: shadowlight

dhemen

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for such a good description of the sound, I completely agree, you put my thoughts and feelings into nice words... :)

I like that you've also started rolling some tubes, keep 'em coming! I'm just getting started myself and while it's not the legendary Tung-Sol VT231 I'm currently using Tung-Sol 6sn7wgt (from 1959) with great result. I agree about your findings about the Psvane blue globes as well, they're not bad at all, and as you put it, they seem to have found an extremely balanced and nice sound with the standard tubes. I really didn't feel any need to roll tubes, and at first I was almost scared to destroy or loose the wonderful character, but... there's too much fun to be had!

I'm currently waiting for a Psvane Acme 274b to arrive any minute now, and I'm also hoping that I'll get a KR 5u4g RK edition which I've ordered soon (the company seems very unresponsive, hmm...)
Thank you a lot..

I will sure keep tube rolling not only in 6SN7s but in rectifier part as well.. Please let us know what you experience with Acmes..
In my previous amp i have used Acme 845 and 300b with great results.. I am quite sure the 274B will play nicely..

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Always wanted to have something special from Lampi (ok they are special anyhow, so special special) and L came today with something exceptional.
B3 with external huge power supply...more to come :cool: - cooking it on low fire now FF3779C9-0FA2-4B11-93BF-671544CC56C9.jpeg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Always wanted to have something special from Lampi (ok they are special anyhow, so special special) and L came today with something exceptional.
B3 with external huge power supply...more to come :cool: - cooking it on low fire now View attachment 74312
please explain :)

Does it need to be ordered as bundle?
Can you fit the LPS after to every B3, or does the B3 need a special connector for the LPS?

Please make picture from the back :)

Reactions: gestalt

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
please explain :)

Does it need to be ordered as bundle?
Can you fit the LPS after to every B3, or does the B3 need a special connector for the LPS?

Please make picture from the back :)
I can't J! I signed an NDA for this one ;) :D

Reactions: UAS

xdaggersoul

Jan 25, 2021
Singapore
This looks very interesting!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
OK let me stop joking and write a few words about B3.
First of all what I'm listening is a normal production B3 unit which I received for demo from Lukasz few days ago, as thankfully he came to our part of the world to steam off this C19 madness and I guess recharge the batteries for some even crazier DACs and electronics.
I want to thank him publicly here for the opportunity to demo this unit as this was kind of missing link for me in his current portfolio of DACs.
As you maybe know I lived with B7, GG, GG2 and currently PAC (serving as nice stand for B3 now) and the rest of his DACs I heard in my system and countless times in friends systems.
B3 - standard Lampi looking unit with I would say Teflon black top (Lampi look I adopted as such and really love it now), much heavier then I anticipated and feels really sturdy holding it. Back plate is with all possible connections so I guess you won't miss anything and beauty of B3 (I'm sure it was written here) is that it can be used in SE and Bal mode hence no need to order specially.
Tubes it came with were/are Russian 5c3s rectifier, Shuguang 6sn7 and some Sylvania ones at the back. One I changed was rectifier as I'm using the one I use in Pacific being WWII RCA 5u4g top getter. I did not change it as I don't like Russian one (which I don't) but as it was just more convenient to unplug it from Pac and plug it in B3. Also I'm using B3 with SE output as this is the way I use Pacific with same cabling as with Pac.
Upon start and after literally a few notes played, who ever had experience with Lampi DACs I guess knows the feeling - eyes get wide open, jaw kind of gets fluffy and starts falling down (read - gets wide open) and smile becomes dominant face expression. My wife spotting this, quickly picked up her things and just commented: "I see where this night is heading so I'll just go to read/watch something on laptop". And indeed it was a long night and yesterday afternoon/night :).
Should I write more then this I don't know - but this B3 is a stunning DAC again from Lukasz kitchen and it fulfils the portfolio perfectly. It has all the virtues it needs to have (and some more). If you want an entry level DAC where you can tweak and play with tube rolling this is the one, as the choice is huge and if you don't want to roll tubes in stock form it kicks a.s as is.
Is it better then GA+ TRP or TRP many would ask, and here I would not say it is, when proper tubes are deployed in TRP, but as a tool to draw you into music and enjoyment from the first second its a total winner.
After all maybe I'll mention - its fast, detailed, with expanded soundstage in all directions so music wraps around you with precise and firm bass and yeah vocals are just beautiful...and yes, it's a stress relief unit after entire day of bloody home office.
Pity health systems are not giving those on prescriptions...might be cheaper for them in the long run.

To conclude -> Bingo DAC - no more no less :cool:
B55123A1-228E-4098-8907-30153036C573.jpeg 103EE7D2-0DB7-49C2-8848-0870C09F7E65.jpeg

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
OK let me stop joking and write a few words about B3.
First of all what I'm listening is a normal production B3 unit which I received for demo from Lukasz few days ago, as thankfully he came to our part of the world to steam off this C19 madness and I guess recharge the batteries for some even crazier DACs and electronics.
I want to thank him publicly here for the opportunity to demo this unit as this was kind of missing link for me in his current portfolio of DACs.
As you maybe know I lived with B7, GG, GG2 and currently PAC (serving as nice stand for B3 now) and the rest of his DACs I heard in my system and countless times in friends systems.
B3 - standard Lampi looking unit with I would say Teflon black top (Lampi look I adopted as such and really love it now), much heavier then I anticipated and feels really sturdy holding it. Back plate is with all possible connections so I guess you won't miss anything and beauty of B3 (I'm sure it was written here) is that it can be used in SE and Bal mode hence no need to order specially.
Tubes it came with were/are Russian 5c3s rectifier, Shuguang 6sn7 and some Sylvania ones at the back. One I changed was rectifier as I'm using the one I use in Pacific being WWII RCA 5u4g top getter. I did not change it as I don't like Russian one (which I don't) but as it was just more convenient to unplug it from Pac and plug it in B3. Also I'm using B3 with SE output as this is the way I use Pacific with same cabling as with Pac.
Upon start and after literally a few notes played, who ever had experience with Lampi DACs I guess knows the feeling - eyes get wide open, jaw kind of gets fluffy and starts falling down (read - gets wide open) and smile becomes dominant face expression. My wife spotting this, quickly picked up her things and just commented: "I see where this night is heading so I'll just go to read/watch something on laptop". And indeed it was a long night and yesterday afternoon/night :).
Should I write more then this I don't know - but this B3 is a stunning DAC again from Lukasz kitchen and it fulfils the portfolio perfectly. It has all the virtues it needs to have (and some more). If you want an entry level DAC where you can tweak and play with tube rolling this is the one, as the choice is huge and if you don't want to roll tubes in stock form it kicks a.s as is.
Is it better then GA+ TRP or TRP many would ask, and here I would not say it is, when proper tubes are deployed in TRP, but as a tool to draw you into music and enjoyment from the first second its a total winner.
After all maybe I'll mention - its fast, detailed, with expanded soundstage in all directions so music wraps around you with precise and firm bass and yeah vocals are just beautiful...and yes, it's a stress relief unit after entire day of bloody home office.
Pity health systems are not giving those on prescriptions...might be cheaper for them in the long run.

To conclude -> Bingo DAC - no more no less :cool:
View attachment 74359 View attachment 74360
After hearing the dac, I totally agree with Goran. WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.34.56.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.34.44.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.35.24.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.36.03.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.36.14.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.36.30.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.37.01.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-13 at 19.36.41.jpeg

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Have been looking fondly at this new Baltic 3 for a month or two now. Courage up to write this...

I have a Lampizator story. Was an early Lampizator dac owner about 10 years ago - in fact was recovering from serious surgery at the time, someone sent me a Gen 3 Level 3 demo, life was short and needed to enjoy it, so bought the dac. In 2015 I talked to Fred about upgrades and amazing he facilitated Lukasz personally doing a mod to my dac raising the dac significantly in performance - Fred said Level 4+ at that time.

Have had and used the dac ever since. It is old school, no usb, no dsd, spdif only and rcas. Still have had maybe 10 contenders in my house over the last 5 years - Audio Note to Exogal Comet, Schiit Yiggy to Metrum and nothing could take my Lukasz modded dac down. Latest contender is dac in Hegel 390 that does all kinds of fancy MQA, DSD, upsampling tricks - can't touch the Lampizator. The force is just crazy strong with this one.

Have read the Baltic lamp is based upon the Level 4 template plus Amber 3 plus more goodies. Without spending north of 10K - which won't be happening - could the Baltic be the one?
I have now heard it...answer: YES!!!!!! Bad to the bone!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My Brinkmann Nyquist II DAC is sold, as I missed Tube Rolling too much :)

Analyzing the current Lampizator portfolio (haven't done for quite a while), it seems, that Baltic 3 is the way to go.

Same digital engine (DSD512) as GG2, enough tubes to allow proper tube rolling, even XLR plus RCA outs,
without the need to exchange 4 expensive tubes while tube rolling.

I was a big fan of the Lampizator lite7 "DERSIEBENER" Edition (better caps) as a smart and affordable version of GG1 and it looks like, that Baltic 3 can be seen as a kind of Pacific lite with a similar voicing and close by performance level,
if heated with appropriate tubes.

From there the decision was taken to order the Baltic 3 in a full silver version to match the color of my Audionet Stern PreAmp.
Looking forward to receive the Baltic 3 soon :)

I already placed some different tubes on a table near by to start the Lampi unique tube rolling adventure !
Updates please, Shakti!!! What are these tubes? Unfortunately, I only have 1 spare set of 6sn7 to try, but will do so and report if they can get the gorgeous stock Psvane gold base tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing