LampizatOr Baltic 3

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden

LampizatOr Baltic 3

Ever since LampizatOr DAC's got their new names inspired by bridges and water the feeling (to me) has been that the lower end models like Amber and Baltic (and what even happened to the short lived Euforia?!) have been living in the shadows, not really drawing any particular interest or getting any praise from either longterm Lampi fans or new audiences.

When Amber 3 was released something changed. Of course most die hard fans where already at least on Golden Atlantic or Golden Gate level, but still there where quite some fuzz about the new Amber. I've told my story before, but in short I came from Level 4 DSD, Atlantic, Golden Atlantic, then tried to live without a Lampi for some time. When I realized my mistake, perhaps the most obvious choice would have been to aim for Golden Gate or (not at the time released) Golden Atlantic TRP models. For some reason though, Amber 3 was what caught my curiosity, of course money played some part of it too, but I had a strong feeling that I just needed to try the new Amber.

Being the new entry model, Amber 3 took me by surprise! Maybe it wasn't as refined, effortless or polished as GA, it was a bit rougher, but it was a lot of fun and incredibly musical, it had something very engaging and attractive going on, and for the price I thought it was a giant killer. My feeling was that this was a new beginning, this was the new entry level of the "next generation" LampizatOr DAC's.

While Amber 3 perhaps "got me back" and I was perfectly happy with it, I simply had to upgrade to Baltic 3 when it was announced. I thought about it for a few days but I knew from the beginning that this new DAC had my name written all over it already. It has now been playing continuously in my system for the last 60 hours, not yet fully broken in I assume.

The press release was bold, it positioned Baltic 3 between Amber 3 and Golden Gate 2. While I have admittedly only listened to the latter in shows and not in my own system, the step up from Amber 3 is simply ridiculous! My feeling with Baltic 3 is similar to what I felt before, this is the next step of an evolution that was started with Amber 3. This time it's not only a new beginning or a giant killer though, this time it's a game changer!

My words are big, the press release was bold, it's easy to get into the hype. I'll try to report my listening impressions as burning in continues, but if there is one thing I want to leave with you now it is that Baltic 3 needs to be taken seriously. This DAC does not belong among the lower end models anymore, this thing is for real! I'll be impatiently waiting for the reviews and hopefully other happy new owner impressions, but this DAC is in one word amazing! I'm deeply impressed.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Really glad to see that LF nailed it again and again and again..... :cool:

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
About 10 years ago over these same holidays I spent several mind-numbing days ripping my CD collection on to a hard drive. Since then, I have embraced digital file playback and streaming. I've downsized my analog playback to something simple yet competent. I've owned/tried and lost money on a number of well known DAC’s.

About a year ago, an audio buddy suggested a mutual long term swap: a pair of speakers I wasn’t using for a Lampizator Golden Gate 1 DAC that was surplus to him. Well, I was immediately smitten by the Lampi sound. The GG1 just allowed me to relax and get drawn into the music like no other before it.

A few weeks ago, the owner suggested he would like his DAC back and I contacted Lampi NA as well as HQ in Poland. I was “directed” to have a long look at the new Baltic 3 which was claimed to sound better than the twice? as expensive and twice the chassis depth GG1 that I had been enjoying. Despite my inner protestations (and irrational need to spend more), I took the plunge.

My Baltic 3 (in the same color as that depicted above) arrived a week ago. It’s not been a disappointment while it has been breaking in. It is a little less reticent than the GG1 and exhibits better dynamic contrasts while retaining that hard to describe Lampi quality that makes listening to music fun and so much more involving.

I'm now looking at two shoeboxes of small signal tubes that I accumulated from preamp tube rolling days and hearing Ray Charles sing "Here We Go Again"...

Happy New Year to everyone!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congrats and enjoy.
I would love to read some more words about the diffeeences between the GG1 and the Baltic3.
What specs is the GG1? Which digital engine?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Congrats and enjoy.
I would love to read some more words about the diffeeences between the GG1 and the Baltic3.
What specs is the GG1? Which digital engine?
The GG is no longer with me. It was SE out and DSD only. I substituted the stock tubes with some modest Psvane 300b's as well as a Psvane 274B rectifier as I knew my relationship with it would be temporary. I upconverted files to DSD through my Lumin U1 mini. During this break-in period I have also been playing files upconverted to DSD through the Baltic 3. I fed it a couple of discs via SPDIF with very nice results. I am running it balanced out with stock tubes.

So with all that said and being early days I will say that I'm pretty sure that I could not distinguish the two blinded. There is a tendency for the Baltic 3 to have slightly more forward presentation and to do dynamic contrasts better. If anything significant sticks out later, I will report here.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The GG is no longer with me. It was SE out and DSD only. I substituted the stock tubes with some modest Psvane 300b's as well as a Psvane 274B rectifier as I knew my relationship with it would be temporary. I upconverted files to DSD through my Lumin U1 mini. During this break-in period I have also been playing files upconverted to DSD through the Baltic 3. I fed it a couple of discs via SPDIF with very nice results. I am running it balanced out with stock tubes.

So with all that said and being early days I will say that I'm pretty sure that I could not distinguish the two blinded. There is a tendency for the Baltic 3 to have slightly more forward presentation and to do dynamic contrasts better. If anything significant sticks out later, I will report here.
Thanks for your answer and a lot of fun with your new Baby :cool:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I'll say it bluntly. The Baltic 3 came out waaay better than expected. My partner is actually burning one in right now alongside a Taiko Extreme and one would never guess it's a sub $15k+ DAC.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I see. Today I brought home Baltic for auditioning. How long it takes for warming up?

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I can buy Pacific w/out volume control second hand from Lukasz directly.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I can buy Pacific w/out volume control second hand from Lukasz directly.
Can you shoot-out the two?
I mean the demo Baltic 3 and the 2nd hand Pacific?
I'm very curious how close the Baltic 3 comes to the Pacific :eek:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
PXL_20201220_150925403.jpg

Baltic 3 - Further thoughts

Due to Christmas and New Year celebrations coming in between I still only have about 175-200 hours on my Baltic 3. I would say it was impressive from the first moment I turned it on, but maybe it has opened up a bit more at this point. The lower end especially is what feels different to my experiences with previous Lampis, it has an incredible depth which makes the feeling of this upgrade bigger than I could possibly have anticipated.

I find it difficult to describe the sound of it to make it justice and at the same time not give the impression of over exaggerating and being too excited about it as my latest toy. It simply feels like a Lampi on steroids to me, it literally has it all! I'm actually having problems understanding myself though how a DAC alone can have this profound and dramatic effect on my system, which I by the way believe is incredibly transparent and revealing, but on the other hand it's being highly rewarded when fed something great upstreams. This is such a moment.

During the years maybe I've felt that Lampi's might not be for everyone, the rough unpolished industrial look and feel, packaging that feels a bit cheap with plastic wrapping etc. Overall I think the quality has improved a lot, but it's still far behind other high end equipment when it comes to packaging and design. And don't get me wrong here, it's part of the charm and I love Lampi's just the way they are, I don't want them to change (except for the plastic wrapping perhaps which I honestly hate). With Baltic 3, for the first time I feel without hesitating that who would NOT love this DAC!? It's simply magical, and just crazy crazy good!

I have a friend who also bought Baltic 3 at the same time as me, right now it's almost as he's the only one who "understands me" and know what "I'm going through", it's like we're sharing a secret between us that the rest of the world is still unaware about and yet to wake up to. I cannot recommend Baltic 3 highly enough.

robolton

Dec 8, 2020
Houston
Can someone confirm on the Baltic-3 when it comes to all the different listed rectifiers? What I gathered so far to investigate are their equivalents.

5U4G > 53KU/5T4/CV575/CV1575/U52/VT-244
274B > CV684
5C3S > ???
5Y3 > 5Y3G/5Y3GT/CV1268/CV1854/CV1856/VT197A
GZ37 > 53KU/CV378
5R4WGB/CV5181

Collected from Radiomuseum.org, tdsl.duncanamps.com, r-type.org and frank.pocnet.net.

Warning: Substitutes are given as a guide only - please refer to original manufacturers data sheets to ensure that a substitute is safe and appropriate for your application.

Attachments

• Baltic-3.JPG
    Baltic-3.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Tube_rectifier_comparison.jpg
    Tube_rectifier_comparison.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 34

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Can someone confirm on the Baltic-3 when it comes to all the different listed rectifiers? What I gathered so far to investigate are their equivalents.

I'll leave for others to confirm your findings, but I was just curious if there's some special rectifier that you're thinking about or want to try with Baltic 3?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have a Takatsuki 274b waiting for the Baltic 3 that I will hopefully get this year.

robolton

Dec 8, 2020
Houston
Nice, on the Takatsuki 274b

WE274B ;)

I will most likely would try the usual suspects from > Mazda, GEC, Genalex, Cosscor, MWT, USAF, Pope, Philips MiniWatt and Mullard.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I have a Takatsuki 274b waiting for the Baltic 3 that I will hopefully get this year.

Nice! That's something I would really want to try myself eventually...

The wait is long and painful, but totally worth it. I hope you'll get your Baltic 3 soon!

I will most likely would try the usual suspects from > Mazda, GEC, Genalex, Cosscor, MWT, USAF, Pope, Philips MiniWatt and Mullard.

Seems like you will be busy once you get your Baltic 3... :) Please report your impressions with them. I'm currently using KR Audio 5U4G and not really sure where to go next, or if I should settle with that for now and look at replacing the lovely looking blue bulbs first perhaps.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

robolton

Dec 8, 2020
Houston
I sure will once the Baltic-3 comes in but about to start the remodeling of the music room over the coming weeks. Which I hope does not turn into months and it's a little disheartening when I walk by it because there is nothing sitting in there.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Still my favorite recti :cool:
Unfortunately quite expensive for a consumable item (but the vinyl guys are used to that with their cartridges) :rolleyes:
Congrats on the Baltic 3 btw.
I'm quite confident that it will be an overachiever :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing