LampizatOr Baltic 3

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
And finally…the ecc40 noval adapters arrive. Slapped my welded plate Tungsrams in there to percolate for a couples of days. A sneek listen suggests a very high performance, close to the nickel e80cc
I received my adapters from China for the ECC40 Tungsrams a few weeks ago and just received the tubes from the Ukraine today. I want to make sure that I am inserting the tube into the adapter correctly. Unlike 12A*7s, these tubes have evenly spaced pins so the insertion orientation is not obvious.

The adapters have a small black mark at one point and the tubes have a small glass dimple on one side. Do I line these up?

Thanks!

mourip

Feb 8, 2020

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I listened to the ECC40 Tungsrams yesterday. I let them run during the morning and checked in from time to time. They check a lot of boxes for build quality, thick glass and nice internal support rods.

My first impression is that they sound very good. Mine seems to be a bit weighted toward the bottom end. Detail is good but not as "spooky" as the E80CC's. Soundstage is good and a bit forward. Dynamics are good but not as good as my E80CC's

I think that I prefer the Tungsram E80CC's so far but I also bought a pair of 6SN7 adapters to try the ECC40's in that position.

I am using them with some RCA 6F8G's and a Valvo AZ1.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The adaptors will need longer to burn in as they have resistors to drop the voltage from 12 to 6v. I found them to be less successful as 6sn7 alternatives as they sounded smaller.

Reactions: mourip

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Had a listen to the TFK mesh globe AZ1. Compared to my fave Valvo, it it’s a bit clearer but a little more forward with the timing being slightly slower. Overall very good but not quite as well balanced for my system/tastes though it might work better for others especially the lampi models using power amp tubes.

Reactions: Golum and Blake

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Had a listen to the TFK mesh globe AZ1. Compared to my fave Valvo, it it’s a bit clearer but a little more forward with the timing being slightly slower. Overall very good but not quite as well balanced for my system/tastes though it might work better for others especially the lampi models using power amp tubes.
Do you think it might make sense to try both the Valvo and TFK in my TRP3 with F2a power tubes?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Well….you have a different dac which uses power amp tubes rather than preamp ones. I also can’t speak for the rest of your system or tastes but what I can say is that both of these tubes are top notch in sound quality yet still rather cheap to buy. There’s no reason to not buy both and form your own views.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Having a quick listen to the BO-188 after 24hrs burn in and can confirm that it’s one of the stronger performers amongst the solid plate models I have listened to. I sensed this yesterday and it hasn’t changed much over night. Overall presentation has a slight bias towards the darker side, so possibly better matched in a brighter system than mine. Another great option for a modest price.

Reactions: mourip and Golum

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Telefunken rg1054 from 1934. This is the predecessor of the rgn1064, which then spawned the AZ1. Sounds good and clear, even with a brand new adapter needing burn in.

49B5BEA3-6FD1-4E2A-B81B-C73B1AD75107.jpeg

Reactions: Blake

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I fired up the Tungsram pv200/600 and had a very quick listen. It doesn’t suck. In fact it does some things better than any predecessor. Brand new tube with brand new resistor damped adapter so it’ll need some burn in time.

View attachment 106261
Just put this tube/adaptor in my Atlantic TRP and its really nice! Seems to equal more expensive NOS rectifiers in my experience.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I had the pleasure of a visit from @plasmod3 earlier these week and we played around with a few rectifiers. I’m going to row back on my earlier view about the higher filiament current rgn2004 / pv200/600 etc sounding a bit too dynamic for my system as since the latest Taiko xdms updates this is no longer the case. Although technically the dac doesn’t need the extra power, it does show some benefits in dynamics and presence without tipping over into aggressiveness.

Reactions: ronfint and Golum

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Hello Guys,

Just received my Valvo AZ1 + Adapter, I cant make it to insert into the adapter, I feel if I push harder enough I can break the glass. Any hint ?

Plus there is this "loose" on the Valve base, is it normal or something to worry about ? Video attached

Thanks !

Attachments

• VALVO AZ1.mov.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Line up the tabs and then push the tube directly down onto the adapter using the palm of your hand. Push it straight down, not at an angle.

It takes a bit more force than you think. There is an initial resistance while pushing down and then it just "pops" into place and will be seated very firmly once it pops in.

As for the loose tube base, one of my Valvo AZ1's had that same problem. It should not impact operability, but I understand you can use super glue to fix it (I've never done it myself, just what I read online but please confirm).

Reactions: Miki70

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Also, I insert the tube into the adapter, and only then do I insert it into my DAC.

Reactions: Miki70

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Line up the tabs and then push the tube directly down onto the adapter using the palm of your hand. Push it straight down, not at an angle.

It takes a bit more force than you think. There is an initial resistance while pushing down and then it just "pops" into place and will be seated very firmly once it pops in.

As for the loose tube base, one of my Valvo AZ1's had that same problem. It should not impact operability, but I understand you can use super glue to fix it (I've never done it myself, just what I read online but please confirm).
Thank you Blake, hopefully it goes Ok ...I'll report

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
May the 4th be with you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing