LampizatOr Baltic 3

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Here is a diagram of the usb plug pin out, is just pin one / vbus which should be covered. All lampi dacs, both amanero and JLSounds will operate this way though some servers might not like it.
Thanks for the clear explanation. I will definitely give it a try and see if my Roon NUC endpoint needs the "handshake or not ;)

Reactions: Sablon Audio

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Thanks for the clear explanation. I will definitely give it a try. I will see if my Roon NUC endpoint needs the "handshake or not ;)

you should be fine, it's an old "Lampi trick" and I personally don't even remember the last time I had a USB cable with vbus connected to any of my Lampis. nice to have the clear instructions provided by @Sablon Audio here.

from my server to my Innuos PhoenixUSB the vbus is indeed needed though.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
sold my former silver Baltic3, received yesterday the latest iteration, new circuit board, new caps, new digital board. According to Lampizator the new Baltic is even more closer to Horizon in sound DNA the before, but will take some more hours to burn in, as the new caps take their time. Fortunately my music server is new as well, so both units will play now ongoing for the next 10 days (with some switch on/off exercises), than I can enjoy the new set up.
(on the pics are the standard tubes, will change to better tubes after the burn in hours)

IMG_0118.jpg IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0117.jpg

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Hey Baltic 3 owners! Just got some Rollerblocks (RBs) and wanted to get a recommendation from you on placement under the B3. The DAC seems heavier in the front--no?--so was thinking of two RBs there and one in the rear. Does anyone have an interior photo of the B3, as that might assist on RB placement. Thanks!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hey Baltic 3 owners! Just got some Rollerblocks (RBs) and wanted to get a recommendation from you on placement under the B3. The DAC seems heavier in the front--no?--so was thinking of two RBs there and one in the rear. Does anyone have an interior photo of the B3, as that might assist on RB placement. Thanks!
Why not try both options.
I'm sure you will probably hear immediately if one position is better than the other. If not, just place them where it is easier or better looking.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I would place one directly under the power transformer, and the other two where necessary to balance the chassis.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
I would place one directly under the power transformer, and the other two where necessary to balance the chassis.
That's what I was thinking, and that's why I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the B3's interior to confirm exact location.

I could certainly experiment with different setups, as @christoph suggests, but maneuverability alongside my rack is a little tight, and so I'd like to start with a consensus pick first.

Reactions: christoph

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
That's what I was thinking, and that's why I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the B3's interior to confirm exact location.

I could certainly experiment with different setups, as @christoph suggests, but maneuverability alongside my rack is a little tight, and so I'd like to start with a consensus pick first.

My guess from looking at these photos of an original Baltic and Amber, and having looked through the vent holes of my Baltic 3, is that the transformer is in a similar location near the front right of the chassis (when facing the DAC).

1A1A2E3D-4049-456C-920A-E567915BB292_1_201_a.jpeg
FF9E3C05-FF10-4F4E-93E3-0872A5D8A03E_1_201_a.jpeg

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
You don't see many pics of the B3 like this in the wild. Right front for the transformer? And if so, a diagonal orientation of the footers rather than front/back?

1667506774578.png

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
You don't see many pics of the B3 like this in the wild. Right front for the transformer? And if so, a diagonal orientation of the footers rather than front/back?

View attachment 99837
Right front. It’s wrapped in dark covering, but visible. I’d try an equilateral triangle placement assuming one is under the center of the transformer (or close). Then, experiment for best chassis balance.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Right front. It’s wrapped in dark covering, but visible. I’d try an equilateral triangle placement assuming one is under the center of the transformer (or close). Then, experiment for best chassis balance.
Will try that first. Many thanks!

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
sold my former silver Baltic3, received yesterday the latest iteration, new circuit board, new caps, new digital board. According to Lampizator the new Baltic is even more closer to Horizon in sound DNA the before, but will take some more hours to burn in, as the new caps take their time. Fortunately my music server is new as well, so both units will play now ongoing for the next 10 days (with some switch on/off exercises), than I can enjoy the new set up.
(on the pics are the standard tubes, will change to better tubes after the burn in hours)

View attachment 99648 View attachment 99649 View attachment 99650
Shakti, what differentiates the “new” B3 from the previous version? I received mine in August of this year, and I think it was a “newer” version. Have they made changes since? You listed some pretty significant upgrade components, so I’m curious which version I have. Thanks!

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021

View attachment 99648 View attachment 99649 View attachment 99650
As an owner of the an Engine 53 version of the Baltic 3 DAC, I have to say it's very disappointing to be left on a deserted island considering Lampizator's policy of not upgrading earlier Baltic 3 DACs to the current version.

There are companies that offer updates to all their DACs as new developments become available, and therefore don't leave owners of older models behind. EMM Labs and Bricasti come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, what differentiates the “new” B3 from the previous version? I received mine in August of this year, and I think it was a “newer” version. Have they made changes since? You listed some pretty significant upgrade components, so I’m curious which version I have. Thanks!

As an owner of the an Engine 53 version of the Baltic 3 DAC, I have to say it's very disappointing to be left on a deserted island considering Lampizator's policy of not upgrading earlier Baltic 3 DACs to the current version.

There are companies that offer updates to all their DACs as new developments become available, and therefore don't leave owners of older models behind. EMM Labs and Bricasti come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

you can find on their homepage:

ENGINE ELEVEN was released on Sept 01 2022

ENGINE ELEVEN is retrofit- compatible with all our older DACs as a complete installation package.

Due to time and labor constraints: we will accept requests for upgrades only for the following models: Big7, Golden Gate 1 & 2, Atlantic and Atlantioc2TRP, the queue will be without time guarantee (meaning long)

Pacific DAC is not subject to upgrades as the sound quality would be roughly the same.

Baltic DACs are too small chassis for retrofit upgrade, only new builds will have the ELEVEN from the beginning.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
you can find on their homepage:

Baltic DACs are too small chassis for retrofit upgrade, only new builds will have the ELEVEN from the beginning.

Buyers of pre-Engine 11 Baltic 3 DACs who purchased and took delivery before September 1, 2022 were notified they were receiving outdated, non-upgradeable, non trade-in-able DACs.

Right?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Buyers of pre-Engine 11 Baltic 3 DACs who purchased and took delivery before September 1, 2022 were notified they were receiving outdated, non-upgradeable, non trade-in-able DACs.

Right?
I am not Lampizator!

Why should I know?

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
@shakti, any udpates on the sq impression ? how does two engine 53 and 11 compare ? Worth the upgrade ?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti, any udpates on the sq impression ? how does two engine 53 and 11 compare ? Worth the upgrade ?
Too much time between the 2 DACs to compare, different Tubes, different music server as well...

Now I am listening to 4x L63 tubes instead of 2x 6SN7, which was a big difference to the different Psvane tubes I own.

Possibly the change to this tubes is a bigger change in Quality, than the change of digital engines :)

IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0191.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0189.jpg

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Thinking out loud but if using rca outputs then only one half of the dual triode is needed. The l63 / 6j5g is half of a 6sn7 - wouldn’t it work ok without the (doubtless lossy) adapter for rca cable users?

Reactions: Miki70 and Devg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing