Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thanks so much! Which one of our rooms did you hear it in? We actually had it on exhibit in three separate spaces at CAF.one system with GT Audio speakers and Westminster Labs amplification, one system with VSA and VAC and finally in our Daedalus Audio room with LTA amplification.

FredA.
I hit every room at the show with the exception of the headphone setups and 2 rooms that decided to start packing up on Sunday 2 hours early. Packing early is a big pet peeve given how many rooms are at these shows and what it takes to hear them and see them all even being at the show all 3 days start to finish. That's a separate rant for another day :)

I heard all rooms that had any Lampizator offerings in them of any kind including those 3 which all had wonderful sound. The Pacific is such a great DAC, it was hard to imagine something better. IMHO, the HORIZON is not just a bit better, it is a big upgrade; a major accomplishment.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
As the feedback from Capital AudioFest starts to trickle in, I wanted to share these links and video reviews of some of our exhibits:

We are very proud to have two of our rooms receive top 5 honors of the entire event with our third Horizon room having been in consideration for a spot at the top 5 as well!

Best_Of_CAF_2022-1.jpg
Best,

Fred A.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@Steve Williams where do you have your CMS footers underneath your Horizon? Are they inside the stock footers and making contact with the silver metal plate on the bottom of the Horizon?

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Whoooooaaa. I just noticed that the first screw was screwed into the chassis of Horizon #98 which means - we should win the bet and make 100 in 2022. At least if we work 24/7 till Christmas eve.
@Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus I guess I have a chance at being unit #100!

thanks again for all your brilliant design/development and assistance with my unit!

Yeang

Reactions: LampiNA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Whoooooaaa. I just noticed that the first screw was screwed into the chassis of Horizon #98 which means - we should win the bet and make 100 in 2022. At least if we work 24/7 till Christmas eve.
@Lukasz. ......you have changed so many lives (mine included) with the introduction of the Horizon. Kudos and congratulations on such an amazing DAC

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Its been a little over 3 weeks now that I have had the Horizon in my system. I wanted to write something earlier however I thought it would be prudent to let the H "settle in" and more importantly let my brain/ears acclimate. I have never had a tube component in my life. I had my first kick ass system at 19 while serving in the US Army. Point being I've been playing in the audio play ground for a long time. My first observation was, if my back was to the system myself and no one else could say that's a Tube DAC. It has such a natural presentation. As I am writing this Os Portugueses by Rodrigo Leao is playing, its Beautiful. A couple days earlier I was playing Rickie Lee Jones Naked Songs Live and acoustic. It was 6am and I was stunned at what I was hearing. I'm not a skilled enough writer to express all the accolades. But what I can say its a fantastic piece and it has invigorated my joy of audio even further.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Its been a little over 3 weeks now that I have had the Horizon in my system. I wanted to write something earlier however I thought it would be prudent to let the H "settle in" and more importantly let my brain/ears acclimate. I have never had a tube component in my life. I had my first kick ass system at 19 while serving in the US Army. Point being I've been playing in the audio play ground for a long time. My first observation was, if my back was to the system myself and no one else could say that's a Tube DAC. It has such a natural presentation. As I am writing this Os Portugueses by Rodrigo Leao is playing, its Beautiful. A couple days earlier I was playing Rickie Lee Jones Naked Songs Live and acoustic. It was 6am and I was stunned at what I was hearing. I'm not a skilled enough writer to express all the accolades. But what I can say its a fantastic piece and it has invigorated my joys of audio even further.
Congrats John. I can’t personally ever have a system without tubes so ii understand your excitement. I’m sure you’ve come to understand all good things come to he who waits.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Congrats John. I can’t personally ever have a system without tubes so ii understand your excitement. I’m sure you’ve come to understand all good things come to he who waits.
I'm floored Steve. Thank You. It seems as though tracks that I am very familiar with have taken on a new life. More musical information. I can't remember having this much fun with a new piece of gear...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Something I neglected to add in my previous post is that The Horizon and Extreme "work" very well together. When I mention familiar tracks that are providing more "musical information". These two components complement each other. Its an effortless flow of music...

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Congratulations Steve !, and welcome in the club ;) Such a pleasure to read another story of joy. Please show us some pictures of the dac with your system, I would like share the snap and your wonderful feedback with our customers and friends in the UK as well. Thank You & Enjoy your long Winter Sessions ahead ;)
04D4A2BB-9434-4427-8CC2-D1D0EA31836E.jpeg 3116D2D4-3BA6-4F8A-AF84-2CBF462601EC.jpeg AE372EDB-43C8-489E-9E39-D0A98EF422A2.jpeg 2DA8AADB-7E3A-469E-984A-B53567A03BBF.jpeg 5850ED66-0FC9-4621-8840-F66DAD8CF7BA.jpeg 818A8A07-6B86-44D2-9B78-727F4AB09577.jpeg 29F20C60-EE32-4323-8098-5164E130E1F0.jpeg A65692E6-5941-413F-83D5-1A9883C1D247.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg
Hope you all enjoy the Horizon and all its friends in my Stereo Room.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I have some mystery triodes that I can’t decipher the name of. They have metal bases and someone earlier must have recommended them. At any rate they sound much better than the blue balls, really no comparison.
The tubes I’m using now in Horizon are the metal base triodes, the Tungsol KT 170s (they are awesome tubes for sure!), and my favorite rectifiers so far Frankie USAF 596, a Bendix Redbank 5U4G “potato masher” that sounds much better than the regular regular mashers, and the KR 5U4G that came with the Horizon.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have not posted here of late because I think it should be left to current and future owners. I am glad to see war in the Ukraine and distribution problems have not hampered manufacturing and delivery.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have some mystery triodes that I can’t decipher the name of. They have metal bases and someone earlier must have recommended them. At any rate they sound much better than the blue balls, really no comparison.

Congrats on your Horizon again :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Rowan

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
I installed the SR Purple when I was setting up my Horizon. I also inserted the KT 170s and the Sophia Aqua from the get-go. I've been leaving my Horizon on continuously during break-in, so the Purple fuse in the DAC has about 100+ hours on it. I had the Orange fuses before in all my gear (Antipodes K50, prior Pacific DAC, Octave Jubilee Pre, Octave MRE 220 monos) and switched over to Purple when the new DAC appeared on the Horizon ; -).

I'm running the PSV blue light bulbs during break-in, so I can assess the ones I'll be swapping out more objectively.

I'm really liking what I'm hearing from the SR Purple fuses, though it's difficult to provide a proper A-B after making a sea change with the introduction of the Horizon.

Thank you all for your valuable experience-based input. Best regards,

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9693.jpg
    IMG_9693.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9694.jpg
    IMG_9694.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 42

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
You folks are prolific bunch! I see my input on the SR Purple fuses was quickly overtaken by additional Horizon comments. At this point, in an attempt to catch up, I will say that I concur with Charlie's early observations in comparing the sonic qualities of the Horizon over the Pacific.

Ray

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Congrats Ray. It has been a long journey to get here but now you can just enjoy the music.

Reactions: LampiNA

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks for all your input, but you are confusing me :) I didnt know the real copper was protected/coated. That is an important detail! I might have to change my mind knowing that.

And yes, those boxes are gorgeous. The Tak tubes are also beautiful in sound and appearance. The packaging is beyond awesome and typical for Japan. I lived there for a year or two and had a whole pile of shopping bags at the end of my time there--all too beautiful to throw away!!

I will probably get a Tak 274b as well. I may follow your lead with other tubes as well.
Unpainted copper tarnishes in 24 hrs and before 10 days it's beyond recognition.

• Wow
Reactions: dbeau

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing