Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

this short notice is to inform, that we decided the definite tube compliment for the horizon DAC for ALL CURRENTLY ENROLLED CUSTOMERS in the queue and it will be:
Input triode 6SN7BE-Psvane Blue Ball
Output driver JJ-KT88 (Slovak Republic)
Rectifier Emission Labs MESH 274B (Czech Republic)
We will try to not change that list for minimum 6 month to a year.
This combination is consistent, repeatable, obtainable, and produces hallucinogenic cloud of sound. What Horizon is all about.
Content deleted. Personal attacks are against the TOS of this forum.

• Angry
Reactions: christoph
Tubes are very hard to source these days , not let alone large batches. Lukasz makes due with what he can and feels sounds good . But then again tubes can be bought in smaller quantities by the owner if he feels they need them . But these super tubes are not cheap either. But selling a high cost DAC like this should include top notch tubes . My personal opinion is some kind of tube allowance should be given if these cheap tubes are being used .

Tubes are very hard to source these days , not let alone large batches. Lukasz makes due with what he can and feels sounds good . But then again tubes can be bought in smaller quantities by the owner if he feels they need them . But these super tubes are not cheap either. But selling a high cost DAC like this should include top notch tubes . My personal opinion is some kind of tube allowance should be given if these cheap tubes are being used .
Just what lampi needs another town crier
I’ll bet you had or have these tubes
already own an H lucky stiff and still your upset
as for 211 irs always the same crying
dod he post he has a very modified lampi what ever dac lol.

Funny, cuz I was at the Formerly the Warlocks shows, and thought about citing 10/9/89 in my post, but everyone’s references are personal (like tubes). Case and point, my wife and I just went to Shoreline earlier this week, we thought the first night was exceptional and the second night a bit of a phone it in recovery show, but others had the opposite preference. In Boulder for the next two nights and looking forward to the fun.
Well, we danced together then. What a night! The memories surrounding those shows are for life!

totally agree. When I had my Pacific and knew about the Horizon I kept asking Fred how could the Horizon better the Pacific. As Christoph said, you’re in for a treat.
Questions for all the wise ones on this forum: given a choice, is it better to upgrade my current server to Taiko Extreme and keep my Pacific, or upgrade my Pacific to the Horizon, and keep the current server? Yes, I know it’s great to do both

Questions for all the wise ones on this forum: given a choice, is it better to upgrade my current server to Taiko Extreme and keep my Pacific, or upgrade my Pacific to the Horizon, and keep the current server? Yes, I know it’s great to do both
What is your current server? IMO, the Pacific to Horizon will give the biggest bang for your buck assuming you have a decent Music Server....it does not need to be a Taiko. I have a Lucas Audio LDMS and I am super satisfied with it.

Give us the list of available alternatives then?

What is your current server? IMO, the Pacific to Horizon will give the biggest bang for your buck assuming you have a decent Music Server....it does not need to be a Taiko. I have a Lucas Audio LDMS and I am super satisfied with it.
I have the Lampi server. Quoting the “Linn” philosophy of upgrading the source (turntable) first, then the tonearm/cartridge next, it could be argued the Taiko upgrade might be as beneficial. Someone who’s done both upgrades could speak to this matter.

Thanks for your input. I was considering the Taiko for two reasons. One, even though I have a lifetime subscription to Roon, I consider it a highly flawed product. They do updates almost every week, and something always breaks. The most recent update from yesterday has now screwed my Qobuz playback This has occurred a million times before. The next update will fix it. Till it breaks again. They cater to the lowest common denominator. At least with Taiko, there’s a hope that their software will be more suited to high end needs. Second reason is that I still find redbook playback from my CEC TL0 CD transport superior to Roon, regardless of bitrate. I cannot explain it, other than assume the server is not as good as it should be. I tried the LAN input on the Pacific, but it doesn’t get DSD streaming right. USB streaming from the Lampi server works fine, but it’s a notch below direct disc playback. Of course, the CEC TL0 is not your average redbook player. I’ve owned dozens of transports over 30+ years, and the TL0 blows away everything else I’ve owned previously (dCS, Esoteric, Levinson, Theta,…).

Ok, update. Roon says the problem is at Qobuz. Anyone else having this issue?

I concur that Pacific to Horizon was a bigger step than Antipodes K50 to Extreme.

But the server is very important. I was made aware of that everyday waiting for the Extreme to arrive, because for the first time ever, I used a laptop as a server. This was an absolutely dreadful, ear burning, noise maker. Invest at least $5k in a server before spending big money on a dac. Some inexpensive dacs are very listenable as they are more prone to errors of omission. Not so with inexpensive servers.

Also, you dont know when Lucasz is going to come to his senses and end the100% trade in…. Unheard of generosity. better take advantage of that !!

Much as I like what Lukasz has achieved with the Lampi DACs, their server is not up to the same standard. I like analogies, so I’d say Taiko is to Lampi as Server is to DAC. Taiko lives and breathes its server design, much as Lampi does for its DACs. I know Taiko seems expensive, but that level of build quality and design in small numbers is very expensive. There’s a reason a Rolls Royce costs way more than a Lexus. But I hear your views and will consider them carefully. Thanks.

I have the Lampi server. Quoting the “Linn” philosophy of upgrading the source (turntable) first, then the tonearm/cartridge next, it could be argued the Taiko upgrade might be as beneficial. Someone who’s done both upgrades could speak to this matter.
My guess is that streamers will be quite a bit better in 5 years from now, I doubt if DACs will take the same leap after Horizon. Besides, as you can turn in your old DAC for the full price you get a better value then selling the server for half and get a new one. As for better servers than my Innuos Zenith Mk3, I can wait and play with tubes whenever audiophilia nervosa strikes...

My guess is that streamers will be quite a bit better in 5 years from now, I doubt if DACs will take the same leap after Horizon. Besides, as you can turn in your old DAC for the full price you get a better value then selling the server for half and get a new one. As for better servers than my Innuos Zenith Mk3, I can wait and play with tubes whenever audiophilia nervosa strikes...
I agree. The Innuos software for my Statement is still in its infancy and Taiko's software isnt even out yet. Also if you read through the long, long Taiko thread you learn 2 things: 1) Taiko customer service is great and owners are happy and 2) understanding, tech, setup, etc. is evolving and changing. This is a nascent industry....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing