LampizatOr Amber 2 - heavily underestimated gem

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm not in a writing mode too much after a long day in the office so I will keep this quite short (for now).
I believe this is the last DAC from current Lampi portfolio of DACs which I did not have a chance to hear so I just had to grab the opportunity to hear it while it is at my place for the next few days before it leaves to his new home.
I plugged it in my system few hours ago (mind it's a brand new unit) and my jaw just dropped...I was like what the heck is this so i started shuffling my favourite tracks and my initial impression remained valid. This DAC, for the price category in which it plays the game, is just insanely good. It has open, transparent, palpable, seductive sound signature which just makes you to crave for more and more and more music....that is what this sport should be about...less thinking about tech stuff and more music you love.
I had to call @wisnon to come tmr to my place to hear it himself and also to do the reality check with me, as I'm sure I'm not gone crazy yet. So more impressions will follow...

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Few pictures... 7F5EB86F-6807-4734-A1C8-8951C72499B6.jpeg 57A27C3E-993B-4C7E-8903-5243FBB50C46.jpeg IMG_1191 1.jpg IMG_1192 1.jpg IMG_1202.jpeg

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for penning your initial impressions and providing those great pictures, Golum! The Amber 2 refresh is indeed a very special DAC and every bit worthy of the LampizatOr title. We debuted the first of these updated models in our "budget" third room at AXPONA and had really great feedback on them. It's a fabulous DAC at any price.

On the subject of price--just as a PSA the pricing will be increasing on June 1 to account for the recent upgrades. It will continue to be an unparalleled bargain, however, anyone on the fence would do well to contact me before this time.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well I had @wisnon here for several hours today and we did a quite nice run of Amber 2 and as he also had a chance for the first time to hear this DAC his comments were same as mine - just wooow...
It excels in transparency and speed but if I would need to point out one thing its musicality.
As I commented yesterday its extremely fluid and it just lets music to flow. Definitely without any audible shortcomings and a complete no brainer. I've heard and owned quite a few DACs before my GG2, which were in the price range of this Amber 2 and none of them is even quite close.
Pitty it needs to leave, but i'm extremely happy it goes to a good hands of a friend of mine who will be a lucky owner...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In total agreement!!! It is SCARY good. I cant imagine ANYTHING in its price range offering any competition on the SQ front.

Reactions: LampiNA and Golum

Zkeller

Jun 1, 2019
Lampizator Amber 2s can have so many options, can I ask what options your sample had? ie single ended/balanced, tube rectified, with/without clocks, etc?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Unit i had luck to try out was SE no VC but with tube rectifier and of course tubes in the output. I would not chase for more than this. Killer DAC sincerely...

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Announcement:

Amber 3 starts shipping in August 2019 as a successor to Amber 2. We put a one year effort to squeeze as much of a good sound from Amber 2 as possible. It took a total redesign of the digital section, which in new form is derived directly from the Pacific program. It is by all means not as sophisticated and costly to make, but it retains surprisingly a lot of the Pacific good qualities - pure, natural, effortless, spacious and super dynamic presentation worthy of at least twice as expensive product.

We also redesigned power supply, and chose completely new tube compliment - consisting of a ECC99 super tube as input amplifier, in a zero feedback, single ended triode mode, as well as ECC82 as low impedance output buffer. This DAC, thanks to having output buffer - can drive particularly well the transistor amps.

We are very proud of this DAC, and the fact that at an entry level price we can outperform any competitor known to us. This DAC gives joy and bliss in spades.

Some other highlights are: copper output caps, CLC power filter with tube rectifier 6X5, true balanced option, volume control option, full analog preamp of very high quality, USB operation of the highest caliber, newly designed muting to avoid pops and clicks in computer operation, and many many more.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Based on the above written, unit i heard at my place was Amber 3 not Amber 2 I would say?

Reactions: LampiNA

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
If that was an Amber 3 that might explain why a friends updated Sonic Frontiers SFD II - Mark II clearly outperforms the Amber 2 on PCM. We kept everything the same in the system and only changed out the DAC.

I must say it was a disappointment since I expected my Amber 2 to clearly beat the SFD-II. The Sonic Frontiers unit beat out the Amber 2 in every way - PRaT, stage depth, stage width, musicality, and the ability to "feel" the emotions behind the music.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Amber 3 hit the market like end of May as the unit I had at home was one of first one sold. How old is yours?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sonic Frontiers SFD II - Mark II. This is a very old model. Sterephile review in 1995.
was $5k back then. Used one in Germany for €3k.

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
My friends SFD II- Mark II was sent back to Parts Connexion two years ago where they did an SE plus upgrade to the unit. That might be why it sounded so much better than the Amber 2 on PCM.

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
I can't find a link when I search, but will have my friend check with Parts Connexion on the upgrades.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing