lamm m2.2

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
finally , im' LAMMED...... as in the silence of the lamms..... received a pair of m2.2s and the new l2.1 preamp to drive the TAD REF1S...... less the 24 hours of burn in , and this folks, is a match made in heaven..... now i'm considering adding the LL1.1 and 2 m1.2 to biamp the TADS.... these spkrs sure can use power and control, and the m2.2 do so in spades....really, amazing sound!
Congrats Ozy!
Biamping will take you to another level but I recommend staying with the same amps for best results, although close there are differences between the M1.2 & M2.2.
david

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I fully agree with my colleague David. I bi-amped with ML1.1s and M1.2s, M1.2s with M2.2s, configured a quad of M1.2s for a client and a quad of M2.2s for myself. Same amps were indeed the ideal IME as well. Coherence was maintained over practically the entire range of sound pressure levels. Bi-amped with differing amps the usable range with the same level of coherence was much narrower. Ultimately to capture the essence of 1.2s with 2.2s I simply turned to NOS tubes for the mid-treble sections. The three best were Mullard CV2492, Valvo 7308 and Amperex blue tips. Since I went from VR-9s to VR-11s which are 3dB more sensitive, I no longer needed to Bi-amp my speakers. I never got to try matched quads on all four units even if I had them. The second pair was sold along with the VR-9s.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Thank you both David and Jack.
for the TADS, will 2 pairs of m1.2s be better suited vs. 2 pairs of m2.2s?
and jack, when you mention the "matchingquads" ,were yuo refering to the 4x tubes, or 4xmatching amps?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Matching tubes for the matching amps :)

As for 2 M1.2s vs 2 M2.2s I suppose that would depend on the size of room/room gain afforded by the space. I like to pressurize my room and when I was using VR-9s they were somewhat undersized. I had to compensate with a bit more power. So I guess I'm saying that it would depend on both the size of your room as well as how much headroom you will need. Since in my experience the M2.2s can handle very difficult loads even of the likes of Infinity IRS IIIs on one occasion, unless your room is very large I don't think you might need to bi-amp at all. I need more info :)

What is more intriguing to me is a switch from the low voltage output L2 Reference to the much more robust LL1 Signatures. That should be THE BOMB. I would do this first before committing to another pair of amps.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Thank you jack- my room is 35'x15'x10. custom built with rubber ,homasaut acoustical sheets and thick sheetrock allaround the walls and ceiling.
Like you, i like to pressurize the room, without shouting the sound, if you know what i mean.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know exactly what you mean :) Our rooms are very similar in size. Almost identical in volume. I can see why you would want to try Bi-amping :)

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
well, i always said that good minds ,think alike...:D
Appreciate the heads up from you and from david-i'm adding another pair of m2.2( tube rolling sometime down the road) and the LL1.1 preamp.
I reckon i'm now getting totally LAMMED.....;)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
well, i always said that good minds ,think alike...:D
Appreciate the heads up from you and from david-i'm adding another pair of m2.2( tube rolling sometime down the road) and the LL1.1 preamp.
I reckon i'm now getting totally LAMMED.....;)

After attending 15 straight CES shows I have been Lamm'd. The ONLY room I can say that's good every year, no matter the source equipment or the speakers, is the Lamm room.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
jeffrey, the last ces i attended was when the lamm ml 3 were debuted,and i was amazed at that sound.
over the years that passed i wondered in other circles, but none can be compared to the lamm sound, inho. and thats' only after 3 days with the amps and preamp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
jeffrey, the last ces i attended was when the lamm ml 3 were debuted,and i was amazed at that sound.
over the years that passed i wondered in other circles, but none can be compared to the lamm sound, inho. and thats' only after 3 days with the amps and preamp.

I was there with Dimfer (Canadian dealer)! We might have been right beside each other and never knew it!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was there with Dimfer (Canadian dealer)! We might have been right beside each other and never knew it!

I've got the same photo only with me and Vlad not you. I wonder if we were there the same year Jack

My photo with him is posted somewhere here in my show photo reviews

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If my memory isn't failing me, I was there in 08, Steve's pic was 09 or 10 (bigger Suite) . :) In 07 Vlad debut'd the ML3 but at that point there was only 1 channel :)

I remember 08 very well as Lamm shared a room with Jeff of High Water Sound. Vlad scolded us for horsing around LOL!

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
The LL1.1 and the 2nd pair of m2.2 are in the house.......3 days into warming up and breaking in......the LL1.1 is by far the most engaging preamp i have owned to date!
Dynamics galore, and articulation and timber that rivals live performance....more when all 4 M2.2 are connected......my wife wants vladimir's address to send hifi ninjas....she hasn't seen me in days....:b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The LL1.1 and the 2nd pair of m2.2 are in the house.......3 days into warming up and breaking in......the LL1.1 is by far the most engaging preamp i have owned to date!
Dynamics galore, and articulation and timber that rivals live performance....more when all 4 M2.2 are connected......my wife wants vladimir's address to send hifi ninjas....she hasn't seen me in days....:b

LOL! I love it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing