Krell Service

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Whatever the formal reasons for this matter may be.
There is no justification for putting off a customer for a year and a half.

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Please read the entire post to understand and evaluate the process.
And anyway; one of both,
or both in cooperation left me out in the rain.

Reactions: Lagonda

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Please read the entire post to understand and evaluate the process.
And anyway; one of both,
or both in cooperation left me out in the rain.
I did read the entire post. That is why I commented that the thread reminds me of other cases. I’ve been watching people who felt wronged by CJ, ARC, Krell, Levinson and others for decades. Generally companies follow the requirements of their legal agreements. Their mistake is often in not having sufficient leverage over their foreign importer to force performance. I have a friend in Central America who is still mad at Krell over their unwillingness to repair a 20 year old amp for which Krell claimed parts were unavailable.

Life’s too short to stay mad. Better to move on. Best of luck with your new path.

Reactions: Alrainbow

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Guys.
The amp came back today. And it works like it should again.
Now I know what I was missing.
I am very happy.
PS
The technician sent it yesterday and it's here today. 600 km. Not bad, right?
P.P.S.
My Set:
Amp: Krell KSA-200S
Pre: Classe Audio CP-700
CDP- Classe Audio CDP-202
Streamer: Primare NP-5
DAC- SMSL M-300
Speaker: Duntech Princess C-5000
CU ;)

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Hello Guys.
The amp came back today. And it works like it should again.
Now I know what I was missing.
I am very happy.
PS
The technician sent it yesterday and it's here today. 600 km. Not bad, right?
P.P.S.
My Set:
Amp: Krell KSA-200S
Pre: Classe Audio CP-700
CDP- Classe Audio CDP-202
Streamer: Primare NP-5
DAC- SMSL M-300
Speaker: Duntech Princess C-5000
CU ;)
I’m glad it ended well. I loved my KSA amps back in the ‘90s. The D’Agostino era Krell gear was very special.

if you’ve never heard the back story on the Krell, here’s a link

The name comes from a 1956 Science Fiction movie, “Forbidden Planet.” If you like SciFi, it’s worth a look.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
For those who aren’t aware, the KSA-200S is a 30 year old model. The fact that it was possible to repair it, even outside of the home country of origin, is a testament to Krell’s desire to give exemplary customer service, even when it’s outside of its export agreement.

You can’t rationally expect all 30 year old solid state gear to be maintained by the manufacturer. It is not the rule, but the exception.

Yet, as I mentioned above, customers from whom the factory never saw a dime from an initial sale often get very upset when it is difficult to get their three decades on gear repaired. I see the same thing with CJ gear.

Krell, CJ, and others are doing their best based on their resources. Remarkably well on new gear warranty repairs or out of warranty repairs on recent gear.

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
I don't know whose interests you represent here.........but I'll give you an example that you might understand..
You bought a 1993 Porsche 911 in 2010. Now it won't start and you take the car to an authorized dealer. He says: I'll see what I can do. And then nothing happens for 1.5 years.
How would you like that?
And you still want to stay mobile.
So you buy another Honda Civic? No too uncomfortable. To compensate for the Porsche, you at least buy a compact but powerful BMW or Mercedes.
ETC, etc, etc.
And in the end you get your car back.
Just like you brought it.
Will you ever buy a Porsche again? Never.
And you will alll your Friends tell the Story.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I don't know whose interests you represent here.........but I'll give you an example that you might understand..
You bought a 1993 Porsche 911 in 2010. Now it won't start and you take the car to an authorized dealer. He says: I'll see what I can do. And then nothing happens for 1.5 years.
How would you like that?
And you still want to stay mobile.
So you buy another Honda Civic? No too uncomfortable. To compensate for the Porsche, you at least buy a compact but powerful BMW or Mercedes.
ETC, etc, etc.
And in the end you get your car back.
Just like you brought it.
Will you ever buy a Porsche again? Never.
And you will alll your Friends tell the Story.
I don’t have any affiliations. I only give my own experience based observations.

Regarding the Porsche analogy, it isn’t a good one because a 1993 Porsche isn’t going to see much support in the US except from an enthusiastic aftermarket. But in any event, the US importer isn’t likely to care if my bad experience with a 1993 model keeps me from buying a 1999 model. They don’t make any money associated with either purchase.

Making a decision about buying a 2023 Porsche based on poor support for the 1993 offering would be silly. None of the car companies are going to be great supporters of their 30 year old vehicles in the US. The duty for support falls on me and the enthusiast aftermarket.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
FWIW, it is not unusual for vintage car restorations to take more than a year and a half, and it is not uncommon to struggle to get a rebuild, depending on what it is that needs rebuilding. Such projects are labors of love. They often require patience and deep pockets.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing