Krell KSA-200S Alternative

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Guys and happy new Year.
My Krell Amp has a Prob with the Input Section. and the Service told me that there are no longer Spare Parts avalable from Krell.
Now i´m lookin for a alternative Solution. Soundwise but cheaper.
2nd Hand is ok.
Any Ideas?
Thanks.
Adam

movingmagnet

Jan 10, 2021

Reactions: AdamZ

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

dleed

Dec 12, 2021
It's too bad. I felt those amps were Krell at their best. There is probably somebody that could cross reference some parts but repair shops are harder and harder to find, especially for older stuff. Anyway, to find something that you will be able to live with will not come cheap as you know. If you need that much power, then Pass X150.8 is an option but the used ones are about 5K. That is a Class AB amp, but does have 10W Class A. I personally don't prefer the MAC sound. Other options are Classe and Coda. Parasound has the power but is overly warm IMO.

There are several others but I don't think they sound as good. Cambridge makes some decent stuff. NAD also.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Several of my friends have had older Krell, 2 pairs of KMA100, 2 ea. KRS2 and a KSA 80 repaired by this man after Krell refused service because of age. He worked at Krell for many years and seems very knowledgeable. They have been very happy with his work. I am not in any way associated with him or Krell.

Steven Leckrone
Phone: 203 331-0671 Work
203 335-1491 Mobile

Steven@theservicedepartmentct.com

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this. If so, Admins please delete.

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Scott.
Thanks for this Information.
I live in Germany and brought the amp to Audio Reference, the German distributor for Krell
which is only about 50Km away from me in Hamburg. :)
Due to the Christmas business and the turn of the year,
I will ask about the state of affairs at the end of January.
AR had offered me to take the amp back in exchange for a new device, which would have cost me 5000 euros. Too much for me.
At the same time, the old amp would be reported to Krell and removed from the device list.
I will then continue to report here. ;)
Adam

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
It's too bad. I felt those amps were Krell at their best. There is probably somebody that could cross reference some parts but repair shops are harder and harder to find, especially for older stuff. Anyway, to find something that you will be able to live with will not come cheap as you know. If you need that much power, then Pass X150.8 is an option but the used ones are about 5K. That is a Class AB amp, but does have 10W Class A. I personally don't prefer the MAC sound. Other options are Classe and Coda. Parasound has the power but is overly warm IMO.

There are several others but I don't think they sound as good. Cambridge makes some decent stuff. NAD also.
Hello Scott.
I have some Classe Audio Stuff.
The CDP-202 and the CP-700 Preamp which sounds wonderfull
with the Krell Amp.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
If I were you have him fix it and change all the caps too. save a boatload of money too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Krell KSA200s has a microprocessor to control the "Sustained Plateau" output-stage biasing. If the device is faulty it is a big problem, as no more parts are available. It is why the old amplifier must be reported to Krell. Does you amplifier power correctly (sequence of LEDs lighting)?

If you have it repaired ask for a complete electrolytic capacitor replacement - it is the Achilles knee of these old class-A amplifiers.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello Scott.
Thanks for this Information.
I live in Germany and brought the amp to Audio Reference, the German distributor for Krell
which is only about 50Km away from me in Hamburg. :)
Due to the Christmas business and the turn of the year,
I will ask about the state of affairs at the end of January.
AR had offered me to take the amp back in exchange for a new device, which would have cost me 5000 euros. Too much for me.
At the same time, the old amp would be reported to Krell and removed from the device list.
I will then continue to report here. ;)
Adam
Hi Adam
I had my Krell KSA 100 MK2 serviced by Mr. Kassel and was very satisfied with his service.

Maybe you should give him a call.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I loved the KSA Series. Maybe the only pure ss amp I would have owned.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
we need to start a thread on just krell amps before the evo series
I own an fpb amp lije them more then older krells. i feel
my has better too end compared to older ones.
anyway it’s just my view

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
My alltime favorite the ksa 50 such a good midrange wtth amazing colours soo smooth, and the bass Bam!!dynamic and punch excelent. krell-ksa-50-I-7.jpg

Last edited:

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hi Adam
I had my Krell KSA 100 MK2 serviced by Mr. Kassel and was very satisfied with his service.

I've already had my 200 twice with Mr. Kassel. The second time I got new transistors.
After a short time, slight smoke signals from the device.
Then a friend looked it up. It turned out that the soldering work was unclean and the solder threads had crossed, which led to weak short circuits. Luckily nothing worse happened, except that I had to pay an additional 450 euros.
But all in all the service was OK. Above all, the transport of the power amplifier was organized by Mr. Kassel at a very good price.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I've already had my 200 twice with Mr. Kassel. The second time I got new transistors.
After a short time, slight smoke signals from the device.
Then a friend looked it up. It turned out that the soldering work was unclean and the solder threads had crossed, which led to weak short circuits. Luckily nothing worse happened, except that I had to pay an additional 450 euros.
But all in all the service was OK. Above all, the transport of the power amplifier was organized by Mr. Kassel at a very good price.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
My experience was very good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Adam

Great to know there is someone servicing Lamm in Europe!

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing