Koetsu

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I thought of starting a new thread, and it's all about Koetsu products, its name, almost synonymous with mystique and magic; for many years prior to owning one, it was like an elusive dream. Then a Black fell into my lap and me, I fell for it, and even took the country dealership of it in the mid 2000s.

Here is a picture of the late grand old man who started Koetsu - Yoshiaki Sugano

1.urusugano.jpg

And this is one of my favorite reads, of Stig Bjorg of Lyra - Remembering Yoshiaki Sugano

https://www.stereophile.com/news/11249/index.html

One of the earliest Urushi model:

1.uru.jpg

An early 'Long Body' Onyx:

broRestored Sam.JPG

Old Urushi MKII Boxes, with the model name still indicated:

urubox.jpg

An early 'Long Body' Rosewood:

rosewood long body.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Long Body' Rosewood (owned by a friend):

robert long 1.JPG robert long 2.JPG

Old LB Rosewood with metal protector:

Attachments

• rosewood long body1.jpg
    rosewood long body1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 654

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My first Koetsu - Black with the markings 'Musashino Audio'

k2.JPG k6.JPG 100_0226.jpg

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Here's my Musashino Labs labeled Onyx Signature (short body), probably minted in the late 80's or early 90s? I acquired it 7 years ago from the original owner's son. The story is that he went to Japan and came back with a $5K phono cartridge; everyone in his family thought he was absolutely nuts!

This cart was all original, never re-tipped, and still made absolutely beautiful music on outer & middle grooves -- though much of the stylus shank was now permanently encrusted with dirt, and the tip was audibly worn (affecting playback of inner grooves). This is the cart that sold me on Koetsu, though I immediately acquired a new Platinum model because of the worn tip. I finally had this one rebuilt by Koetsu this summer, retaining the original alnico magnets rather that upgrading it to platinum, and have it spinning again! Very nice cartridge!!

I got the original Koetsu headshell with it too. And it has a particularly lovely Onyx grain on that one side!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: clouseau1 and 108CY

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's my Musashino Labs labeled Onyx Signature (short body), probably minted in the late 80's or early 90s? I acquired it 7 years ago from the original owner's son. The story is that he went to Japan and came back with a $5K phono cartridge; everyone in his family thought he was absolutely nuts!

This cart was all original, never re-tipped, and still made absolutely beautiful music on outer & middle grooves -- though much of the stylus shank was now permanently encrusted with dirt, and the tip was audibly worn (affecting playback of inner grooves). This is the cart that sold me on Koetsu, though I immediately acquired a new Platinum model because of the worn tip. I finally had this one rebuilt by Koetsu this summer, retaining the original alnico magnets rather that upgrading it to platinum, and have it spinning again! Very nice cartridge!!

I got the original Koetsu headshell with it too. And it has a particularly lovely Onyx grain on that one side!

Really pretty, Mulvering.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Present day Rosewood Signature Platinum:

ar4.jpg 1.17.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They say love your own, I've been loving this Rosewood Signature (wood grain too) of mine since 2006. Has been tracking on 1.80g ever since and now going into the 2.0g realm.

1.122.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Urushi Gold (Wajima):

uru.jpg uru1.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Vintage Koetsu Box: Can't figure our the model inscription.

uruubox.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jade: The stone body model that made me think I was in heaven, for an hour, that is.

own.JPG

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing