Koetsu

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I have not heard such a combination but I've heard a Urushi on an SME V and I like it. My regional distributor also uses an SME V. And another friend here has a Rosewood Signature on an SME 309. Lovely combination.
I use a Koetsu Onyx Agate Platinum on an SME 20/12 table with the massive SME V12 arm. It’s a really nice combination. I’ve used the SME V before, but to my ears, the much larger and far more massive V12 arm makes a beautiful match with low output low compliance MC cartridges like the stone bodied Koetsu’s. I also use the ARC Ref Phono 3SE, a very expensive phono stage, but the best I’ve heard. It’s a huge step beyond the classic Ref Phono I owned for 20 years before. It’s a challenge to mount the massive SME V12. I would hesitate to use it on lightweight tables, but if you use one of the more massive tables, it can be work if your table supports 12” arms. The longer arm length produces an almost ideal combination of smoothness and effortless tracking of the grooves. Of course, the classic analysis by Baerwald and others have shown that longer arms produce lower distortion.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use a Koetsu Onyx Agate Platinum on an SME 20/12 table with the massive SME V12 arm. It’s a really nice combination. I’ve used the SME V before, but to my ears, the much larger and far more massive V12 arm makes a beautiful match with low output low compliance MC cartridges like the stone bodied Koetsu’s. I also use the ARC Ref Phono 3SE, a very expensive phono stage, but the best I’ve heard. It’s a huge step beyond the classic Ref Phono I owned for 20 years before. It’s a challenge to mount the massive SME V12. I would hesitate to use it on lightweight tables, but if you use one of the more massive tables, it can be work if your table supports 12” arms. The longer arm length produces an almost ideal combination of smoothness and effortless tracking of the grooves. Of course, the classic analysis by Baerwald and others have shown that longer arms produce lower distortion.
Nice report. Good to hear.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Dear Koetsu friends,

With a couple of month with the My Sonic Lab Platinum Signature on the Kuzma 4point it was time to swap back to the ONE JEWEL… The Lord of all cartridges - The Blue Lace :)!

I had (almost) forgot the monsterous force of this cart… After a super delicate and meticulous setup and alignment, I dropped the stylus into the grooves of Yello’s ”One Second” album, and almost lost my hair from the sound waves…It was that intence?!!

You know - that kind of low frequency bass pressure that surrounds a big live consert, and that kind of full sound you normally only hear when going to a big stadium consert.
Exactly that kind of sound came right in my face with no pre-warning what so ever…. Whaaoo you guys… I’m in love again!! Coolest thing this year so far!! I did continue with Pink Floyds live album ”Delicate Sound Of Thunder” just to be sure I wasn’t dreaming. After that it was off with The Sisters Of Mercy’s album ”Floodland”… -ohh boy.. I tell you.. I’m back in the ”real” hifi-business again!

It is so much more power and force in this cart - than all the other carts together, I’ve had here to this date… and IT IS the perfect match in my system…

Have a nice hifi-weekend

/ Jk
B4E3512D-8320-4760-8E75-308F5EBD5F2B.jpeg 5E070453-EA08-4D85-B0C4-FD4CFC61C509.jpeg A441E54F-7E1E-48E2-8072-E7A48569E453.jpeg CB8175E3-9FFD-4499-8F75-F12DB049FF5E.jpeg

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear Koetsu friends,

With a couple of month with the My Sonic Lab Platinum Signature on the Kuzma 4point it was time to swap back to the ONE JEWEL… The Lord of all cartridges - The Blue Lace :)!

I had (almost) forgot the monsterous force of this cart… After a super delicate and meticulous setup and alignment, I dropped the stylus into the grooves of Yello’s ”One Second” album, and almost lost my hair from the sound waves…It was that intence?!!

You know - that kind of low freqence bass preasure that surrounds a big liveconsert and that kind of full sound you normally only hear when going to a big stadium consert.
Exactly that kind of sound came right in my face with no pre-warning what so ever…. Whaaoo you guys… I’m in love again!! Coolest thing this year so far!! I did continue with Pink Floyds live album ”Delicate Sound Of Thunder” just to be sure I wasn’t dreaming. After that it was off with The Sisters Of Mercy’s album ”Floodland”… -ohh boy.. I tell you.. I’m back in the ”real” hifi-business again!

It is so much more power and force in this cart - than all the other carts together, I’ve had here to this date… and IT IS the perfect match in my system…

Have a nice hifi-weekend

/ Jk
View attachment 103287 View attachment 103288 View attachment 103289 View attachment 103290
Truly you are one of the blessed to own this fabulous stone model Koetsu. Congratulations! And I can almost hear what you just described.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thank you RickS and jadis for your kind words.. it warms as much as my class A Krells… ;) ! Really appreciate it.
Wish you guys were here to hear this - it’s so much fun..!!!

Thank you guys:)

/ Jk

Last edited:
Reactions: RickS and jadis

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Johan, what a stunning description of your experience, nice to read!
Now it would be nice to compare the Blue lace in the SAFIR or Glanz 1200…..

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Johan, what a stunning description of your experience, nice to read!
Now it would be nice to compare the Blue lace in the SAFIR or Glanz 1200…..
Thank you Birdwatcher, I really appreciate your kind words ;) .
Yes, the SAFIR would be very cool, and a nice colour contrast to the Blue Lace. The Glanz 1200 is unfamiliar to me so far. But maybe something worth trying.

All the best

/ Jk

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm not sure I told this story here. I got to visit the lovely @Albertporter recently. We don't live that far from one another, have been talking for decades, and I took the trip to Dallas from Austin. One thing we did was compare the Airtight Opus to the Koetsu Blue Lace under controlled conditions- same table, two identical Kuzma 14 inch arms and adjustment for any gain differences at the electronics. (Albert is now running a Soulution system). You could hear the differences immediately. His SP-10 mk iii, Krebs tweaked, in an Albert designed Panzerholz plinth (I think Albert has been responsible for the SP 10 revival as well as the use of that wood). The Airtight was more linear, but I could hear more wood from the drum sticks on the Koetsu.
If I told this story before, you need to raise your hand.
Nursing house rules. And if the person sitting at the table drops dead, you raise your hand. One person did so, and then said "Can I have her pudding?"
I won't tell you my personal motto.

• Haha
Reactions: RickS and Johan K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I also use the ARC Ref Phono 3SE, a very expensive phono stage, but the best I’ve heard. It’s a huge step beyond the classic Ref Phono I owned for 20 years before.
I had a Ref 3SE for most of last year, and it's a fabulous phono stage and certainly wonderful match with Koetsu. It works exceedingly well with either the built-in MC stage (High Gain mode) or an external SUT like EAR or Koetsu. In the end I moved up to bigger VAC monoblocks, which necessitated me to finally move on to an all VAC system - the Ref 3SE and VAC Master preamp didn't quite get along, and the Ref 6 preamp with big VAC Master monos also didn't get along. But the Ref 3SE and Ref 6 pairing into any other amp was wonderful. I was right on the cusp of going all ARC but landed on the other side with all VAC, for various reasons :)

As far as the Ref 3SE versus VAC Renaissance SE phono stages, they each have their plusses and minuses. The VAC has its romantic midrange; the ARC its overall balance and linearity from top to bottom - especially clean fast and powerful bass, which I'll miss. The Ref 3SE was exceptionally refined and detailed and eliminated all listening fatigue. As far as the built-in MC stages go, I'd definitely take the ARC. I'm not a fan of the Lundahl MC SUT used in the VAC, which is why I have a collection of outboard SUTs :)

soliver

Apr 11, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm not sure I told this story here. I got to visit the lovely @Albertporter recently. We don't live that far from one another, have been talking for decades, and I took the trip to Dallas from Austin. One thing we did was compare the Airtight Opus to the Koetsu Blue Lace under controlled conditions- same table, two identical Kuzma 14 inch arms and adjustment for any gain differences at the electronics. (Albert is now running a Soulution system). You could hear the differences immediately. His SP-10 mk iii, Krebs tweaked, in an Albert designed Panzerholz plinth (I think Albert has been responsible for the SP 10 revival as well as the use of that wood). The Airtight was more linear, but I could hear more wood from the drum sticks on the Koetsu.
Hi Bill, back in 2019 I think, when I heard your system here in Austin, you told me at the time, of your desire to upgrade to an Air Tight Opus One. So curious did this comparison change your mind or not?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Bill, back in 2019 I think, when I heard your system here in Austin, you told me at the time, of your desire to upgrade to an Air Tight Opus One. So curious did this comparison change your mind or not?
Nope. Got into the Koetsus a few years ago. Did that comparison at Albert's last month. Nice to see you (virtually).

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Good observation. This Blue Lace Diamond belongs to the same person who has the Coralstone Diamond I posted above. It's still NIB, since 2006.

View attachment 102805 View attachment 102806 View attachment 102807

Good observation. This Blue Lace Diamond belongs to the same person who has the Coralstone Diamond I posted above. It's still NIB, since 2006.

View attachment 102805 View attachment 102806 View attachment 102807
Hi Jadis
Do you have any experience with This Blue Lace Diamond mounted.on A/S TA 7000 NEO

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis
Do you have any experience with This Blue Lace Diamond mounted.on A/S TA 7000 NEO
Hi Harry, not yet. Hope to hear it soon when the owner decides to mount it.

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Hi Harry, not yet. Hope to hear it soon when the owner decides to mount it.
Hi thank you,
I am planning to by me a 2nd turntable this summer, A/S Montana NEO with A/S TA 7000 NEO so very interested. in howe it works out with Blue Lace Diamond and A/S TA 7000 NEO combination

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi thank you,
I am planning to by me a 2nd turntable this summer, A/S Montana NEO with A/S TA 7000 NEO so very interested. in howe it works out with Blue Lace Diamond and A/S TA 7000 NEO combination
Montana Neo with TA7000 should work just a well with the Blue Lace since it has basically the same weight as the Coralstone, and same shape and size. The density of each of these stones will be the telling factor if finding differences in sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing