KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

We are considering a large addition to the house where the fireplace wall will be moved outward quite a bit so I’m not going crazy with the electrical now. I will likely get a sub panel for that.

Keith, impressed you've kept the original packaging for the Fynes. I don't know anyone who keeps big boxes.

I keep ALL boxes, large or small. (Including all origianl packing material and if it came on a skid I have those as well).
I do too. Despite having my wife frequently encouraging me to get rid of all those stupid boxes.

• Angry
Reactions: treitz3
Reactions: Folsom and AudioHR
Keith, impressed you've kept the original packaging for the Fynes. I don't know anyone who keeps big boxes.
funny you mention that - i believe we are going to have to cut the boxes open as my ceilings are too low to lift them. the US distributor has offered to help me set them up, so i'll defer to him.

Progress is slow but moving - discovered a MSB dc cable screwed up termination from the move (and my disassemble of a locking mechanism that seemed stuck), so no headphones this weekend. Innuos working, fully updated at least.

Feels great to have most of the boxes gone!

Reactions: Folsom
funny you mention that - i believe we are going to have to cut the boxes open as my ceilings are too low to lift them. the US distributor has offered to help me set them up, so i'll defer to him.
Looking forward to the reveal in your new room.

Reactions: KeithR
So to sum up the Axpona speaker journey, I was really impressed at the uber high end with Stenheim Ultime, the Cessaro Opus and subs at the more regular high end, and the WVL Son at the moderate level. For panels, the Clarisys sounded awesome and its understandable how popular they've come in their infancy.

Going back to my favorite speakers, I'd replace AG Duo XD with Cessaro based on what I heard. I felt it was a more realistic experience with the caveat I didn't have my demo tracks to play with. I'm still not sure I'd replace YG with Stenheim in the pecking order yet, but Sonja 2.3s vs Ultime 2s would be an interesting experiment.

As far as compared to my Fyne F1-12s, I'd be inclined to say the Cessaros could be an upgrade - although at a pretty significant cost ($65k) and depending on how well one can get the matching sub to integrate. I am not a sub person, as I've stated before.

The last time I commented on my favorite brands was here:
Just catching up on your journey now. Thank you for the awesome pictures and your frank reporting of what you heard.

I was glad to hear you liked the WVL Son, I was very impressed with them when I heard them at the Munich show a few years ago. Factoring in size, expense and looks relative to the competition it would be on my short list of speakers to consider.

It's hard to judge speakers in different environments and systems. Show sound being very difficult to gauge, so while I wouldn't pass final judgement on a speaker at a show it says something when a presenter can pull it all together and offer quality sound. It also says something when a demonstration is clearly off the mark.

Reactions: gestalt
Just catching up on your journey now. Thank you for the awesome pictures and your frank reporting of what you heard.

I was glad to hear you liked the WVL Son, I was very impressed with them when I heard them at the Munich show a few years ago. Factoring in size, expense and looks relative to the competition it would be on my short list of speakers to consider.

It's hard to judge speakers in different environments and systems. Show sound being very difficult to gauge, so while I wouldn't pass final judgement on a speaker at a show it says something when a presenter can pull it all together and offer quality sound. It also says something when a demonstration is clearly off the mark.
You should really take the opportunity to hear a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit speakers properly set-up with really good electronics. So dynamically alive, so involving, so transparent, with perfect neutrality to boot!

You should really take the opportunity to hear a pair of Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit speakers properly set-up with really good electronics. So dynamically alive, so involving, so transparent, with perfect neutrality to boot!
I have heard the Vivid Giya G3 Series 2 a number of times at a friend's place. He has really good components and they sound lovely. I especially enjoy his analogue front end with these speakers, they are definitely involving and natural sounding. I would imagine their flagship G1are even more impressive.

The Vivid would be on my short list as in my opinion the G3 sounds more organic and musical than most of the hi end speakers I have had a chance to listen to.

Reactions: DDgtt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing