KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
My current favorite speakers are modded Tannoys introduced to me by Montesquieu. Never liked the stock new ones. But the modded ones are best next to the big horns that I like. They are better for than all planars that I like except for the biggest, like FR or Grands. Their mids are dense and great like pure ribbons, the stage is huge, great full body, the dual concentric drivers sound coherent like full range drivers, and they can have thundering, deep bass playing organ and electronica with a 50w KR, though 20w amps can be sufficient for baroque and leider. However to do this the vintage drivers have to be carefully chosen and matched to modern cabinets with damping, and their negatives are crossovers so they need to be modded. Best is they are real life. Low priced, fit into living rooms, go back to wall, and superbly musical.

These are a nice alternative to Tannoys, vintage or otherwise ........
PBN AUDIO M2.5 Symetrical......

Attachments

• 6E41ED74-2157-4F45-837C-8337AE2B7EB1.jpeg
    6E41ED74-2157-4F45-837C-8337AE2B7EB1.jpeg
    815 KB · Views: 30
  • 4E2D77CB-1DE7-4BC2-B03F-76BB51DB3FB7.jpeg
    4E2D77CB-1DE7-4BC2-B03F-76BB51DB3FB7.jpeg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CD1F48D7-5BCB-4C1E-B8FE-FFF2053ADA55.jpeg
    CD1F48D7-5BCB-4C1E-B8FE-FFF2053ADA55.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 27

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's what I need to research more, there are hpd, gold, red, silver, black, all in 12 and 15 inch (There are 10 too), and different cabinets.

I have started and will soon get to hear varieties of hpd and gold implementations. I know one person I will have to travel to listen to silver, and don't know anyone with blacks (general owns the drivers though not finished tannoys). The silvers and blacks are expensive with blacks going for almost 15k usd for the pair of drivers.

Also I want to give modern ones more chance, to see if anyone has matched a good system.

Yes, I was aware of the existence of many models and variants. It is why I think that duplicating the performance of a particular custom assembled model is an hard job.

I could have tried a pair of Westminster's for some time long ago - needing space in despair the owner sold them at a very low price. Unfortunately (or fortunately ...) this time the size and weight put fear on me! Anyway I have heard great sound from Tannoy Edinburgh's, but it was a long ago experience.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My current favorite speakers are modded Tannoys introduced to me by Montesquieu. Never liked the stock new ones. But the modded ones are best next to the big horns that I like. They are better for than all planars that I like except for the biggest, like FR or Grands. Their mids are dense and great like pure ribbons, the stage is huge, great full body, the dual concentric drivers sound coherent like full range drivers, and they can have thundering, deep bass playing organ and electronica with a 50w KR, though 20w amps can be sufficient for baroque and leider. However to do this the vintage drivers have to be carefully chosen and matched to modern cabinets with damping, and their negatives are crossovers so they need to be modded. Best is they are real life. Low priced, fit into living rooms, go back to wall, and superbly musical.

How can the speakers develop any illusion of depth if they are back against the front wall?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
How can the speakers develop any illusion of depth if they are back against the front wall?

Psycho-acoustics. It's our ear/brain processing and many years of evolution that account for the illusion of dimensionality and location. Timing is critcal. Source timing accuracy plus speaker coherence play a significant role helping that happen.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Psycho-acoustics. It's our ear/brain processing and many years of evolution that account for the illusion of dimensionality and location. Timing is critcal. Source timing accuracy plus speaker coherence play a significant role helping that happen.

I agree. However, having speakers further out into the room can help.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I agree. However, having speakers further out into the room can help.

Yes -thanks Al - and the operative word is can. .Near field listening to narrow baffle speakers is typically better when they and the listener chair are out in the room. And I've seen some speakers designed for room corners. I'd still make the case that without proper wave launch timing, even perfect positioning can only go so far toward dimensionality.

Reactions: Al M.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Torus does not stabilize mains - it is mainly a filtered transformer. The bias resistor break is probably due to a faulty tube - bias resistors in normal conditions have minimal current. Bad luck. The power meter is essentially cosmetic - IMHO it should not count as a break!

I'm not sure why you try to argue everything just to argue. Jeez.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
1. You hate horns. 2. You pimp speakers you haven't heard on multiple threads. You even recommended the lowest model of your favorite unheard speakers (which no one has heard) on this very thread.

These are facts. I'm just trying to help a fellow music lover by warning him not to fall into a trap.

Once again, please stop putting words into my mouth...and pay more attention to what I post. :(
Nowhere have i ever stated that I 'hate' horns.( I have never heard a pair that I would want in my system, but that doesn't mean I 'hate' them). I do not 'pimp' speakers that I haven't heard...I have suggested that for those with an open mind ( which clearly you do NOT have:() that the Alsyvox speakers may be a very good alternative and well worth an audition. If suggesting an alternative to horns and all of the gear that you are so enamored of is 'pimping'- well--- you probably need to look up in the dictionary what the term means! :confused:

Alternatively, since you don't like what I post, I invite you to put me on ignore....I wouldn't mind one bit, LMAO.:p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
1. You hate horns. 2. You pimp speakers you haven't heard on multiple threads. You even recommended the lowest model of your favorite unheard speakers (which no one has heard) on this very thread.

These are facts. I'm just trying to help a fellow music lover by warning him not to fall into a trap.

That's funny

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Once again, please stop putting words into my mouth...and pay more attention to what I post. :(
Nowhere have i ever stated that I 'hate' horns.( I have never heard a pair that I would want in my system, but that doesn't mean I 'hate' them). I do not 'pimp' speakers that I haven't heard...I have suggested that for those with an open mind ( which clearly you do NOT have:() that the Alsyvox speakers may be a very good alternative and well worth an audition. If suggesting an alternative to horns and all of the gear that you are so enamored of is 'pimping'- well--- you probably need to look up in the dictionary what the term means! :confused:

Alternatively, since you don't like what I post, I invite you to put me on ignore....I wouldn't mind one bit, LMAO.:p

If Ron and Steve would add a down vote button many of us would be able to press one button and move along.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What drivers are these?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I was aware of the existence of many models and variants. It is why I think that duplicating the performance of a particular custom assembled model is an hard job.

I could have tried a pair of Westminster's for some time long ago - needing space in despair the owner sold them at a very low price. Unfortunately (or fortunately ...) this time the size and weight put fear on me!

It will be easier to find consistency here, the Tannoy community is pretty large, though not on this forum. You can then have your own hobby swapping drivers and adjusting crossovers, or just sit and listen. They do well with a variety of amps - Lamms, Jadis, OTLs, Vitus, Dartzeel, etc will all do well, though different, and depending on driver.

Anyway I have heard great sound from Tannoy Edinburgh's, but it was a long ago experience.

Ah, you had good ears in your youth

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm not sure why you try to argue everything just to argue. Jeez.

He must be listening to his particular digital source, it can put people in that mood

Reactions: morricab and KeithR

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have asked the mods to moderate all your future posts if you continue with this. The ignore option is easy to initiate. Please do so.

You crazy conspiracy laden PM's are legionary Davey. I hope the mods have disabled your ability to send them. Simply put...they scare people.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

You have bashed horns in the past and we have gone round about it even. And yes, you are mentioning that people try the Alsyvox non-stop even though you never heard it. I have heard it twice and liked it both times so if I said give it a try at least I have an experience based reason ...you have nothing to base a recommendation on.

Reactions: ddk and jeff1225

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Those remind me a little bit of the Usher D2 optically

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
What drivers are these?
While the symmetrical version is no longer shown on their site there's another version of the PBN M2!5, with details on the drivers as follows:

"Two JBL drivers are the heart of the system: First, twin JBL 2235H 15” woofer classics, with a low-loss magnetic structure and Symmetrical Field Geometry, which reduces harmonic distortions to near zero. The second is the inimitable JBL D2430H mid-range/tweeter compression driver, with dual-diaphragms. The drivers are aligned “in time” via their amazing 900 Hz charge-coupled crossovers."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing