KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So what's up for 2024? My current system is pretty much done, just a diffuser install when they arrive in January and final speaker placement. After that is complete, my analog rig will be installed. I am very impressed with this new room thus far - has alleviated many concerns moving. Also, the Nagra/WestminsterLab combo has proven to be elite.

As far as speakers I'm interested to hear in 2024?

Diesis Roma
Acora Acoustics SRC-2
Kef Blade 1 Meta
YG Sonja 3.2 (the new version, curious how the new engineering team has upgraded the sound)
Diesis Roma is a great sounding speaker.

I am thinking for 2024 a new speaker project with horn loaded line source for mid and high frequencies.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Congrats Keith! The chair looks great and the room is really coming along. Two questions:

1) Who makes your rack?
2) Any plans for the area between the speakers e.g. art, diffusion/absorption etc.
It’s a Box Furniture rack

Vicoustic 2D diffusers will go between the speakers and complete the look, hopefully with some soundstage and depth benefit as well.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
It’s a Box Furniture rack

Vicoustic 2D diffusers will go between the speakers and complete the look, hopefully with some soundstage and depth benefit as well.
Thanks, Keith. I am sure it will be great!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Short update that there is no update :( It's ~3 months and counting on getting wood diffusers. One landed a week ago, without the other 3. I think the positioning can be dialed in more now too.

I will be going to the Dallas audio show on Saturday in March and will give a report on speakers as usual! I also have a room at Axpona.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Short update that there is no update :( It's ~3 months and counting on getting wood diffusers. One landed a week ago, without the other 3. I think the positioning can be dialed in more now too.

I will be going to the Dallas audio show on Saturday in March and will give a report on speakers as usual! I also have a room at Axpona.
I would appreciate reading your reactions to the YG Hailey Reference 3 speakers if you can fit that in to your visits

Reactions: KeithR

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Keith, when you‘re in Dallas you can hear Diesis @ the Rhapsody Dallas location. Or come anytime to visit in Portland I’ll gladly setup Diesis Roma for you to hear and enjoy.

IMG_3869.jpeg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, my favorite rooms at Axpona:

The $200k Credos, although perhaps a tough sell in the US, sounded big open and dynamic. The bass drivers were integrated with the line arrays unlike 90% of the usual ones including the former Pipedreams. Tone surprised me on the emmlabs electronics which historically have been cool for me.

IMG_7076.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yes, that's our fearless forum leader in front of me. The big WVLs sounded fantastic on jazz and electronica. Colin has a great ear for non-audiophile music as well. Next door Cessaros were doing their thing in Catalano's room but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. Melanie de Blasio was the highlight next door.

IMG_7081.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Fern & Roby setup was the best "small" system I heard - and the entire system costs 20% of the usual suspects. The new SS integrated that Christopher showed looked promising. If I had a mountain house, I'd just buy this entire setup and spin records up there.

IMG_7082.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
George Counnas and I had a great conversation listening to good classical on the Tidals. Excellent timbre, don't think they needed the big Eros 500s but couldn't hurt ;)

IMG_7084.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Our forum setup wizard Todd did a remarkable job on the new Mezzos. I did not get the sweet spot on the iTron but on Sunday hard them on the Phasemations and it sounded sublime. Locked in, dynamic with great tone were my notes and no driver discontinuities. I continue to think AGs require true setup expertise and most who hear them never experience the real thing.

IMG_7090.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Remember Sadurni Horns with the huge ugly red horns that were like 3' deep? Me too. Well these weren't horns and looked like Anthony Gallo clones and sounded vivid, dynamic for a full range driver at 98dbs. The lovely Viva Solista completed the package (high audio drool factor).

IMG_7091.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Best of show in a lot of columns, rightfully so. The O96 never had bass I could warm up to, but the new O Bronze was far tighter and natural. The holographic image was spooky in the room not doubt due to the Komuro amplification. Lou Reed sounded "in the room."

IMG_7108.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
For the super systems, Elliott really had this room improved over last year with the room treatments and detailed setup. Had it all on the Riviera Labs, great bass. I still don't know what to think of amps that are tuned by ear basically, but for a half hour it worked for me!

IMG_7111.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
One of the show surprises - as I usually don't care for Sonus Faber. But with a Hana red cartridge, analog sounded very good with some get up and go on the Accuphase electronics. All for a much more moderate price level than most here.

IMG_7113.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioHR

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Super system showing only $50k/pair speakers. I thought on the ubiquitous Fink Live it sounded very nice with good tone. Bass was tighter than many of the bigger rooms.

IMG_7114.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioHR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing