KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Sorry, but these speakers are not Apogee Scintillas...the impedance of YG is not too tough and while not very sensitive it is also not abysmal.

Have you seen how complex the crossover is

Have you seen how complex the crossover is

Crossover parts count does not necessarily correlate with how difficult the load is that the amplifier sees, nor how much series resistance is introduced. It is even possible for load-correcting circuitry to improve the amplifier/speaker interface with a fullrange single-driver speaker.

Lol , did he have boulder already at that time ,or did the Yg s force him in that

I haven't interacted much with him but I think he is an enthusiastic audiophile. And he does business. He buys what he likes and can sell. This is his hobby and his main business is non audio

Crossover parts count does not necessarily correlate with how difficult the load is that the amplifier sees, nor how much series resistance is introduced. It is even possible for load-correcting circuitry to improve the amplifier/speaker interface with a fullrange single-driver speaker.

Show me a fullrange that wouldn't be better with some kind of a crossover part... I doubt anyone can!

Reactions: Duke LeJeune
My own xpe speakers were almost made of high grade aluminium as well, the housing that is .
Its my second choice besides phenolic resin .
It was quite a search to find a reliable big company to make HPL speakers professionally on demand.
If i wouldnt have found them., mine would be 6000 series alu .
I still have all the alu designs / drawings may be i lll do it someday

I'm just trying to be factual, and bring real "live" experience with the product. Like you do with the brands you're interested in and that you have experience with, like PBN, which I think are very positive contributions.
I just don't think it's fair or correct when people with little to no experience with the product start writing about it like they're experts on it. Again, it'd be like me start giving opinions on PBN after hearing their product 2-3 times.
I've heard YG's 30 times going back 15 years, Starting with YG's very first show at CES. Danny Kaey has had many versions (maybe 3 or 4) of YG speakers over that time. I've listened to them extensively.

After hearing the absolute train wreck of the ARC 160 and Luxman pairing at Keith's house, I now have come to believe that my disdain for YG speakers is based on them being severely under driven on each of those demos. Only after hearing Keith's new Hailey driven by class D amps do I have an idea of their potential.

Reactions: bazelio
Actually, Shakti was driving his YG Anat with temporary low priced class D amps and they completely outdid his airtight 211 on the Zingali

I am not saying it is because of crossover parts. The place where I heard a YG sound good, he showed me the crossover and explained why it was complex to drive. I personally can hear it. Nagra sounds flat, with boulder, burmester, plinius, Luxman it drives well, though as mentioned earlier I preferred boulder and Luxman. Nagra was directly compared to burmester 909

Reactions: Duke LeJeune
Together with boulder you have the all out aluminium assault.

But personally i like a speaker more where i dont have to limit myself amp wise .
From Sets all the way up to the MRA lol.
Plus its also cheaper a bigger amp is more parts etc

Last edited:
I am not saying it is because of crossover parts. The place where I heard a YG sound good, he showed me the crossover and explained why it was complex to drive. I personally can hear it. Nagra sounds flat, with boulder, burmester, plinius, Luxman it drives well, though as mentioned earlier I preferred boulder and Luxman. Nagra was directly compared to burmester 909

Sorry for reading into your post something that wasn't there!!

I've heard YG's 30 times going back 15 years, Starting with YG's very first show at CES. Danny Kaey has had many versions (maybe 3 or 4) of YG speakers over that time. I've listened to them extensively.

After hearing the absolute train wreck of the ARC 160 and Luxman pairing at Keith's house, I now have come to believe that my disdain for YG speakers is based on them being severely under driven on each of those demos. Only after hearing Keith's new Hailey driven by class D amps do I have an idea of their potential.

I do agree with the ARC 160 not being a good match. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have even brought them to Keith's. That's what I get for trying to please the client who I consider a friend. He liked his REF 75SE so much on Devores that I felt we had at least to give them a go. While other dealers just wouldn't do it or would charge the client for the privilege of trying a pair of costly (heavy) monoblocks at home, I did it for no cost, knowing full well it might be a long shot.

I haven't been to Danny's, but I understand he uses Einstein. That's a combination I'd be curious to listen to, as they're not exactly powerhouses, and if he feels they work on YGs, might be a good option for my clients as well.

BTW you're also very welcome to come to the store and hear a Sonja 2.2 in what we consider to be their full potential, including the Luxman amp that apparently didn't do so well at Keith's.

alex

Show me a fullrange that wouldn't be better with some kind of a crossover part... I doubt anyone can!

My first commercial effort was based around a Fostex 8" fullrange driver. I used two filters with complementary impedance effects to tame the lower treble peakiness without disturbing the impedance curve. Because this (and other things) arguably constituted "cheating", I named it the "Cheetah".

Alas the old playground adage "cheetahs never prosper" proved to be true: I only sold two pairs.

I did however have several Fostex enthusiasts tell me that it was the best they'd ever heard that particular driver sound. I didn't tell them about the cheating.

Last edited:
The powersupply of an amp has everything to do with drive / being able to handle dynamic swings properly etc.
In that sense 1 watt is indeed not the other 1 watt.
1 watt with a large power supply behind it is the way to go in this case .
I would try a set of CAT jl 3 monos on those yg s problem solved i reckon despite being 150 watt or so watts.
Thats if you like tubes off course

I do agree with the ARC 160 not being a good match. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have even brought them to Keith's. That's what I get for trying to please the client who I consider a friend. He liked his REF 75SE so much on Devores that I felt we had at least to give them a go. While other dealers just wouldn't do it or would charge the client for the privilege of trying a pair of costly (heavy) monoblocks at home, I did it for no cost, knowing full well it might be a long shot.

I haven't been to Danny's, but I understand he uses Einstein. That's a combination I'd be curious to listen to, as they're not exactly powerhouses, and if he feels they work on YGs, might be a good option for my clients as well.

BTW you're also very welcome to come to the store and hear a Sonja 2.2 in what we consider to be their full potential, including the Luxman amp that apparently didn't do so well at Keith's.

alex
I forgot to mention that they only time I've ever liked YG's was your room at THE Show one or two years ago. I believe they were the Sonya XV. Beautiful presentation, excellent imaging and tuneful base.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing