JV's Ramblings and other such nonsense!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
From the album l'heptade (their 3rd and final album) this is Harmonium - Chanson Noire

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love this ad!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Last night's dinner: Rotini pasta served with a sauce of tomato, onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, various spices and Italian sausage (which were first partially grilled and then sliced).

Rotini and Italian Sausage.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That steak was probably about 1.5" thick. Pan-fried in Peanut Oil on med-high heat (7-8) for 2 minutes per side. A little Montreal Steak Spice on both sides. Let it rest for between 5-10 minutes.
Thanks for sharing the details. I just have never pan fried steaks. I always grill it outside which is hard to control, temp wise. Do you do it inside out of necessity (i.e. on the grill is better) or do you find it just as good?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for sharing the details. I just have never pan fried steaks. I always grill it outside which is hard to control, temp wise. Do you do it inside out of necessity (i.e. on the grill is better) or do you find it just as good?

I do it inside on the stovetop out of necessity, since we're not allowed a BBQ in our building. I do miss the char flavour you get from grilling outside, but the stovetop method I employ works fabulously. I've certainly never said "I wish I had a BBQ" when cutting into and tasting my steaks.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That tenderloin is perfect John!

When I want to flavor bomb a pan cooked steak, at the very end I throw in a generous amount of butter, some sage and a clove of crushed garlic then give it a bath. Don't tell your cardiologist about this, he might send a hit squad to take me out! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How to open 5 beers at once!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am not a fan of The Who at all. I find most of their stuff just loud and obnoxious with a few exceptions. One of those exceptions is the song Eminence Front from their It's Hard album. I just love that freagin' song!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh yeah...I'm sexy and I know it!

You need to crank this up and move with the groove. You know ya wanna......:D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Who is on first.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As some of you may know I'm moving cross-country in December. This means that I've had to start packing up my vinyl. I don't have an excessive amount, but at approximately 1,900 LPs and a bad back it wasn't easy to get done. They'll be joining me with my Calgary stash of about 1,200LPs. The picture only shows about 1,500, but I have another 4 boxes in my apartment storage closet. Each box holds around 100 pieces. I also have another 4 boxes of mostly Blu-rays, DVDs and some CD/SACDs. My Hardcover, Trade, Paperbacks and some magazines I want to hold onto to are next. And after that I'll weed through a variety of boxes containing things like cables, connectors and other misc. audio and computer-related goods.

Uhaul 2.jpg

You'll note that the top row of boxes aren't yet sealed, and that's because I still want access to some vinyl playback. Yep, I'm an analogue guy......what can ya do!:)

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
A total of 3,100 LP's?. Wow, that's an impressive collection. I have about 1,500 albums stored on a hard drive but you beat me by a mile in terms of numbers.

I sold about 250 LP's I owned since the 70's when I moved from LA to Tucson about a year ago. They were heavy to move around so I can, at least metaphorically, feel your pain.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can you figure out what I was thinking? LOL!

Scan0008 (1).jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I do it inside on the stovetop out of necessity, since we're not allowed a BBQ in our building. I do miss the char flavour you get from grilling outside, but the stovetop method I employ works fabulously. I've certainly never said "I wish I had a BBQ" when cutting into and tasting my steaks.

Back when I didn't have a BBQ handy to char my steaks, I kept a MEP blowtorch for the same purpose. It was also used to caramelize the sugar on my Creme Brulee. I used MEP as it was much hotter than butane.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My baby is gone...sold!
Nottingham Horizon SE - 2.jpg

Yes, she is gone, really gone! :eek:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Finally! IN DA HOUSE!

Beatles Mono Boxset 2.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Throat condoms.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing