Jeff's New Music Room, the Return of Jeffrey_t

Hello All!
Due to some welcome and overdue forum changes, I'm happy to return and share my new music room and system. I'll be using my Audiogon user name going forward. Over the last year I built a dedicated room on my property, my last room was a converted garage. This room has the following features:

-Dedicated lines with 10 awg copper wire and separate ground
-Shear walls all around
-Quite Rock II drywall
-Blue Jeans insulation
-Wood roof with slightly uneven rafters to break up the reflections
-Custom built record rack behind the listening position that acts as a giant diffuser
-Bathroom/utility room for record cleaning

The system has also been updated, as I've sold all of the Lamm gear. The major focus of the system is to capitalize on the new quite dedicated lines and have a zero hum system. You can put your ear up to the midrange horn and hear nothing. I listen to 90% analog so the heart of the system is the PBN Garrard 401 which continues to be a stellar performer, I really can't think of another turntable I would want. My new phono stage is the phenomenal Aurorasound Vida Supreme. It is extremely musical, flexible, dynamic, and silent. With some help from two WBF members (thanks @Al M. and @KeithR) digital streaming has been added to the system, really great for rock and finding new music. Blue Node streamer and Schitt Yiggy DAC are a lot of fun to mess with. I've also added a TVC to the system (thanks @213Cobra), the very musical Luxman AT-3000. It also helps with the theme of silent and black backgrounds. Two SET amps give different flavors, 2 watt 45 for clarity and 8 watt 300B for added warmth. Full system list:

-PBN Garrard 401
-LDA Turntable Power Supply
-SME 3012R x 2
-VDH Colibri Stradivarius
-Ortofon SPU A95
-Aurorasound Vida Supreme Phono
-Blue Node Streamer
-Schitt Yiggdrasil LIM
-Yamamoto 45
-Xaio Nan 300B hand made mono blocks
-JBL Hartsfield

Here are some pictures of the project:

Full System 1.jpg Full System with Roof.jpg Record Shelves.jpg Components.jpg Utility Room.jpg

The power is run next to one another and in a loop. I see EMF interference and an RF antenna. Making your wire the same length by adding distance in loops and S and other routing is not a good idea.

And your boxes are probably wrong. Especially if your using double drywall. I never use nail on.

The power is run next to one another and in a loop. I see EMF interference and an RF antenna. Making your wire the same length by adding distance in loops and S and other routing is not a good idea.

And your boxes are probably wrong. Especially if your using double drywall. I never use nail on.
The proof is in the pudding. The lines are absolutely silent, I can put my ear up against the midrange horn of my 16ohm, 105dB speaker and there's nothing.

I absolutely love comments like this. So thoughtful and respectful.

What is most impressive to me is the simplicity and attention to the visual asethetics unlike the typical high end "wall of stuff" system standards.

Last edited:
I absolutely love comments like this. So thoughtful and respectful.
I thought he was in the beginning stages of building his room.

Tell me how you would phrase problems you notice in someones installation if its your field of expertise. Of do you just pat them on the back and let them move forward.

I wouldn't. Maybe be humble (assuming what you say is pertinent) and just say congratulations and beautiful system. Just a thought.

I thought he was in the beginning stages of building his room.

Tell me how you would phrase problems you notice in someones installation if its your field of expertise. Of do you just pat them on the back and let them move forward.
I had high end commercial electricians run this build, only 5% of their work is in homes. They just finished building out a lab at the University of Irvine. They thought I was crazy to spend the money on 10awg wire.

The system sounds amazing so I guess there different ways to skin a cat.

Reactions: emoonie and hogen
I wouldn't. Maybe be humble (assuming what you say is pertinent) and just say congratulations and beautiful system. Just a thought.
I don't get it. You have 28 years experience in a field, you see a fellow audiophile in what you though the beginning process of an installation you feel could be better and you let them keep on down the path. That does not make sense to me.

I had high end commercial electricians run this build, only 5% of their work is in homes. They just finished building out a lab at the University of Irvine. They thought I was crazy to spend the money on 10awg wire.

The system sounds amazing so I guess there different ways to skin a cat.
I'm sorry Jeff. I will step out of your thread.
But I would love to see images of the complete build and what you did with the walls, coverings, treatments if any.
Rex

Reactions: jeff1225
I don't get it. You have 28 years experience in a field, you see a fellow audiophile in what you though the beginning process of an installation you feel could be better and you let them keep on down the path. That does not make sense to me.
I have no issues with your comments. I wish I would have had your opinions when I was building out the room to bring to the electricians for their feedback.

Reactions: hogen

Like passing burrito gas in the middle of an open house celebration.

The build is done. Jeff is happy. What's the point?

Jeez.

Last edited:
Hello All!
Due to some welcome and overdue forum changes, I'm happy to return and share my new music room and system. I'll be using my Audiogon user name going forward. Over the last year I built a dedicated room on my property, my last room was a converted garage. This room has the following features:

-Dedicated lines with 10 awg copper wire and separate ground
-Shear walls all around
-Quite Rock II drywall
-Blue Jeans insulation
-Wood roof with slightly uneven rafters to break up the reflections
-Custom built record rack behind the listening position that acts as a giant diffuser
-Bathroom/utility room for record cleaning

The system has also been updated, as I've sold all of the Lamm gear. The major focus of the system is to capitalize on the new quite dedicated lines and have a zero hum system. You can put your ear up to the midrange horn and hear nothing. I listen to 90% analog so the heart of the system is the PBN Garrard 401 which continues to be a stellar performer, I really can't think of another turntable I would want. My new phono stage is the phenomenal Aurorasound Vida Supreme. It is extremely musical, flexible, dynamic, and silent. With some help from two WBF members (thanks @Al M. and @KeithR) digital streaming has been added to the system, really great for rock and finding new music. Blue Node streamer and Schitt Yiggy DAC are a lot of fun to mess with. I've also added a TVC to the system (thanks @213Cobra), the very musical Luxman AT-3000. It also helps with the theme of silent and black backgrounds. Two SET amps give different flavors, 2 watt 45 for clarity and 8 watt 300B for added warmth. Full system list:

-PBN Garrard 401
-LDA Turntable Power Supply
-SME 3012R x 2
-VDH Colibri Stradivarius
-Ortofon SPU A95
-Aurorasound Vida Supreme Phono
-Blue Node Streamer
-Schitt Yiggdrasil LIM
-Yamamoto 45
-Xaio Nan 300B hand made mono blocks
-JBL Hartsfield

Here are some pictures of the project:

View attachment 103451 View attachment 103452 View attachment 103453 View attachment 103454 View attachment 103455

Kudos on the room and doing it with the Hartsfield's
Have they had any upgrades?
Tweeters, Field Coil Drivers, Crossover?
Jw5115

@jeff1225
Where did you order the upgraded crossover? Any details on the parts being used?
I ordered the crossover from I guy I found on-line that calls himself "loudspeaker chef." He has obtained all of the original crossover designs for JBL and sells on eBay and his own website. I used this website to determine what caps to buy, I'm using Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Caps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing