JackD201 - Almost Done

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In my experience anyone even blind could tell when I move the AC from my UPS to the regular mains ... Not a scientific study mind you... In term of measurements my AC was extremely pure, more so than any mains from any country one would care to think. Simply because it was re-generated a solution which I mentioned in my post.

We share this view on the effect of power supply - but in my system every one could also listen to the difference between direct connection on the original ARC power cords and the system connected with all Shunyata Andromeda power cables with an Hydra8 distributor. And it is not small.

But my question still remains - if we both see that mains quality affects sound reproduction, why thousands of talented equipment designers can not built a power supply immune to power supply "impurity"?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@Mike
I am willing to open my mind and be proven wrong. I expect to visit a friend in NY and will likely hear his Shunyatta Power Cords. The test PCs will be some heavy gauge Cords I made. I will let you know how it went... Suffice to say that I have immense doubts.. Unless there is a filter somewhere in the cord, there is not much they can do...

Frantz,

an open mind is all i would expect.

if you made some heavy guage cords that are different than an off-the-shelf Belden then i suppose they sound better than an appropriate Belden when used in a system with a 'Frantz Approved' power delivery system. then next you improve the plugs on your 'heavy guage' custom power cord and it sounds even better.

so what does that tell us? that better power cords can still make differences even with top flight system power supplies.

i realize that just getting a heavier guage power cord, assuming all other things are equal (which they rarely are), can still be viewed as generic. i guess that would be the rub; seeing whether once a system had ideal power coming from the wall, would the 'right' esoteric power cord matter assuming the generic of the same guage and length....and assuming there were no tricks in terms of circuits or other stuff.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Power cords are not in the audio chain. I continue to be amazed at all the people who have convinced themselves that somehow the difference between one power cord and another is somehow audible. Maybe it's the physical cord's presence in the room, how it reflects sound waves that people are hearing.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I know my system sounds better with a group of large people in the room.;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Power cords are not in the audio chain. I continue to be amazed at all the people who have convinced themselves that somehow the difference between one power cord and another is somehow audible. Maybe it's the physical cord's presence in the room, how it reflects sound waves that people are hearing.

Hmm.... this is like saying the power supply is not in the audio path. There are at least three factors you may wish to explore: 1) proper wire gauge for the application (impulse current delivery); 2) potential line or environmental noise reduction/rejection by the power cord; 3) potential noise emittance by the cord itself (e.g. hum) to components around it. See these pictures and thread if you are interested

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

if you ever get up to the Seattle area please come and visit and we can test this out on my system.

no amount of posts will resolve this question on this or any other forum. more specifically; if this subject goes further we should vacate Jack's system thread and find a more appropriate place.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who did your room design?

Once all is completed, I would love to see some REW (or equivalent) measurements on FR, decay, RT60, etc.

Mike Pedero of Tracks Acoustics did my room Audioguy. He also does all the design work for JBL in the Philippines. The JBL guys have a new 6 point measurement set, must be a new version of SMAART, and he says he'll bring it over. I'll post the graphs when it's done. I'm currently in San Francisco now. I just watched the parade. Ahhhhhh, the smell of freshly lit blunts in the air! Wouldn't have thought the vote to legalize lost!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'm currently in San Francisco now. I just watched the parade. Ahhhhhh, the smell of freshly lit blunts in the air! Wouldn't have thought the vote to legalize lost!
Nice way to begin a vacation! When are you coming to our (Steve's and my) side of the Bay?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve says sometime between the 15 and 18th would be best Ron. Get that Tequila ready!!!!! ;)

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Hmm.... this is like saying the power supply is not in the audio path. There are at least three factors you may wish to explore: 1) proper wire gauge for the application (impulse current delivery); 2) potential line or environmental noise reduction/rejection by the power cord; 3) potential noise emittance by the cord itself (e.g. hum) to components around it. See these pictures and thread if you are interested

I've already covered this in that thread you mentioned. ;)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
The JBL guys have a new 6 point measurement set, must be a new version of SMAART, and he says he'll bring it over. I'll post the graphs when it's done.

Fantastic...greatly anticipating it!

Ahhhhhh, the smell of freshly lit blunts in the air! Wouldn't have thought the vote to legalize lost!

Round 1...It probably did pass in the Bay Area ;)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It lost because many of its supporters are always high and, as such, think the vote is next Tuesday.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
What a DREAM room you have as well as your equipment. Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed looking @ your images and reading the posts.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just a quick update......The garbage bags are down ;) ;) ;)

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/jackd201/vr-9.jpg[/IMG]

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm speechless Jack! That room and setup is just absolutely stunning. Everything from the space itself to the deor, the lighting....magazine cover worthy! Congrats and enjoy!

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks so much John! I'm just happy the system is now sounding as good as it looks (to me anyway ;) ). All amps are up and running now where before I was just running the M1.2 References. M2.2s have taken over mid-bass duties leaving the 1.2s the easy task of driving the tweeters and the 100dB sensitive midrange units and the 1kW amps running the built in 15" sealed subs.

Hopefully I can finally move my turntable in this week. I got delayed when the painting that's supposed to be behind them had a hook that failed. The painting is up and well secured now so it's all systems go!

All that'll be left is the carpet. The designer should be presenting her patterns for approval soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing