It Finally Happened: Not One, but TWO Heart Attacks

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
It's been a stressful year. My wife told me it was the Year of the Dragon. Lord have mercy! The Dragon's calling card came early on Dec 31, with a generator building fire. Being it was raining for 3 weeks straight, our solar panels weren't bringing in much power and I was running the generator for an hour on some late afternoons to top off the battery bank. Well this particular evening, I was going out to shut her down after an hour and 10kWH boost, and I was in disbelief to see flames rushing out of the doorway of the concrete bunker. The only flammable parts were the door and door frame, both of which were on fire. It was 33°F out and wet. This genny had run all day in 95°F heat without a fire, so I was in a state of cognitive dissonance upon discovering the fire. Long story short, I put it out and due to the positive air pressure by the two fans, the flames blew outward away from the generator. Aside from some melted plastic cowling, the generator was no worse for wear. But I will need to build a new frame and door out of steel this time.

January, I gave away some free firewood, mostly big logs. One guy came with a mini tracked excavator. I expected he would use it in the wooded area next to driveway, not tear up the driveway turning it around in circles. The guy was a jerk about it and never came back to fix it. I was going to get a load of process stone, but when I found out it was $800 for one truck load, I just let it be. Customers were getting stuck in the mud, so I had to do something. Eventually I contacted the town public works and learned that "millings" are free an they even load up your truck for you. So I went down there late in February and got two loads. By the second load on Feb 29, I was hurtin'., but I get ahead of myself...

Early February, the wife calls me to say there's no water pressure in the house. I check the usual things, find the capacitor boiled over, but then decided to check winding resistance. I had opens on two of three windings. Uh-oh. So in preparation, I ordered a new pump. This pump cost me $750 in 2008. This year, the place would not sell to the public (wholesaler) and I had to buy one out of state for $1400 and have it overnighted. All my friends have moved to Japan and one other friend passed away 2 years ago. My neighbor who used to help the other four times I pulled this pump in 58 years, died in 2019 at 73. So that left me and the wife and daughter and a neighbor I don't know well, to pull the pump. We got the whole thing out okay. And I replaced the pump, but found the drop wires, new in 2008, severed in two places. So off to the plumbing store and another $300 for 200' of drop wire. By the time we got back, it was sunset and getting cold. My chest was hurting and my back was hurting alot at this point. I managed to get it all wrapped up and by dark we started lowering the thing into the well. But my wife and daughter couldn't feed the pipe or it was snagged on something in way back in the woods. The pipe snapped as it was barely freezing temperature now. I yanked up the remaining pipe and pump and set to repair the break. By now I could no longer feel my fingers. Frozen. I cut the pipe, put on a new fitting and glued it with pipe joint cement,. But it would not cure at 30°F. Even waiting an hour, as when I put the thing back down the well and turned on the pump no water came out the Pitless adapter. By this point I was feeling VERY ill. Back spine was in agony, too, masking my chest pains. I decided to call the neighbor and get the name of the well guy he uses. Next morning, Russ arrived and in 90 minutes and $650, the pipe was replaced and the pump properly set. That night, chest pains persisted until 10pm.

Back to the driveway... so I'm shoveling millings off the truck and I'm losing feeling in my hands, my arms tingle, underarms have a peculiar ache and I'm feeling chilled all over and faint/dizzy. So I let my wife take over the shoveling. That was Feb 29. On the morning of March 1, at 7:30, I am awakened by a very strong sense of a brick in my chest. I get up, walk around, drink some water, feel better and go back to bed. That day I changed my diet from high fat low carb, to no fat, no sugar. Started eating steel cut oats, fruits and fish for dinner with kale, okra and cruciferous vegetables. I felt some of the brick in the chest sensation, but pressed on with my new diet (a change from eating 3 strips of bacon with 3 eggs every morning for breakfast). Within a week, I was feeling better and a week and a half the warmth returned to my hands which were cold as a corpses the first week. It seemed I was on the mend. But I made appointments with cardiologists anyway, because I wanted to know how much damage I'd sustained. I set one up with a conventional doctor first, but at the healthfood store, the owner, whom I've known almost forty years, gave me a number for his cardiologist, a prominent NYC-based doctor who was an MD but preferred natural remedies.

So on March 15th, my wife drove me to Fairfield, where he has Friday hours in CT. As we were backing into a space, my pains came back along with numbness and lightheadedness. I made it to the appointment, the doctor listened to my carotid arteries and heart, declared them clear and said I was suffering from anxiety. Long story short, we drove home 50 minutes and I'm feeling lousy the whole trip. Lay on the couch for ten minutes, my parrot stood guard over me and just watched me, but I was freezing cold and the pain would not let up. I told the wife to take me to ER.

At the ER, they hook me to an EKG and the doctors inform me that I am indeed having a heart attack. As the local hospital has no cardiac intervention unit, they ambulanced me to Danbury, and I was admitted while on two IVs of blood thinners and nitroglycerine. Initially, they said they don't perform surgeries on the weekends and that I'd have to wait til Monday. But the cardiologist thought the matter too urgent to wait that long and he scheduled me for the cath lab the next morning, Saturday.

I could not sleep in that hospital. Too much noise, talking, beeping heart monitors, paging systems, etc. Room was too hot, bed was uncomfortable, etc. But I managed. Next morning, doctor discussed the lifetime meds I would be on and I realized I didn't have any options other than to go into the catheterization. In the lab, he found my LAD artery 95% blocked. The others were fine. He put in a stent. I was moved to recovery and later back to my room where they brought me lunch. Within hours, the pain was gone from my chest. I felt MUCH better than I'd felt in months in fact. I was kept for another 48 hours and constantly monitored, given injections, pills and had vital signs checked HOURLY. By the next day I took my first walk around the 8th floor. The day after, I did more walking. On Monday, they decided to discharge me, so I was home by Monday night.

Ironically, the whole time I was in the hospital, the weather was warm and sunny. When I got out, the temperature dropped 30 degrees and damaging winds were blowing like crazy for the entire week. Today was calm enough that I was able to take my first real outdoor walk and not use the treadmill. It got up to rip roaring 50°F this afternoon, and the winds died down from hurricane force to just blustery.

As for my new diet, I watched Forks over Knives documentary about plant based diet and my wife started me in that direction. She made an incredible pasta with marinara sauce consisting of mushrooms and vegetables all cleverly blended in. A meal even a mafia don would enjoy! Late afternoons involve a sort of pita bread with hummus on it. Breakfast is oat meal with fruits and no salt or sugar.

Given the events, I'm going through a period where that uneasy mental feeling that I could die at any time dominates my thoughts. I hope that as I recover, that feeling will give way to a sense of well being. I was losing weight on the HFLC diet (lost over forty lbs) and was physically very active until October when my inguinal hernia got painful. I had to stop doing 100 situps a day and stop splitting firewood. I became more sedentary. I've lost another 8lbs since the hospitalization.

Feeling pretty good, but lost a lot of muscle mass and my leg muscles tire easily now. Gonna be a long road to recovery.

I need to deploy a palette of 550W solar panels in April, and hopefully the doctor will clear me to go back to work. It's been tough getting by with just social security and no amp repair income. Luckily, our electric bill shrunk a lot of we'd be in dire straights. I've got to fix the roof again, despite spending thousands on rubber roof coatings that leak after two years. It's a never ending headache. I'm starting the process of writing an "owners manual" for the house and the major electrical and plumbing systems. Luckily in December, we moved everything into revocable living trust with a law firm. Now I just need to finish the instruction manual so the wife knows how to operate the solar stuff and how to shut off valves if a leak happens in the plumbing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Wow.... that was a story! Glad you're on the mend. I don't have to say, the older we get, the more attention we have to pay to our bodies. Your body will tell you when something is wrong.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Trials and tribulations aside (and they have been tremendous!) you seem to have things organised and in operational order -- and I do mean the everyday nitty-gritty of life.
I wish you strength and a swift return of the sense of well-being!
And listen to the tunes, it's therapeutic!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
One of the stranger questions I asked my cardiologist was whether extreme mechanical shock to my chest would endanger the stent. He said no. I was basically cleared to listen to loud music. What a relief. Had he said I could no longer bass pig, I would have asked for the euthanasia department! LOL

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
hope you get back to full strength soon

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, you sound like a fine fellow. I bet you're a whirlwind of energy when you're totally fit and healthy.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
A month before my heart attacks, someone on X social media jokingly accused me of 'bench pressing tractors". A neighbor who is a construction / heavy equipment operator called me a monster when I described how I replaced a 900lb track on my excavator by myself 3 years ago.
In my later years, I'd been working out like Jack Lalaine at the YMCA right up til March 2020. My daughter was taking Tae Kwon Do classes and I was in the weight room. I'd discovered a way to increase mass by putting on double the normal weight and seeing if I could do one rep. Two days later, could do 3 reps with that weight. Then started the free weights. Was doing pretty good in the 2010s. Running the track, swimming laps and power lifting. When I rebuilt my roof, I could carry 160lb sheets of 3/4" pressure treated plywood by myself up to the roof top. Last summer, I needed to do a repair and could not even lift one end of the board off the ground. Had to get a customer to help me get it to the roof.

My wife was amazing through this whole thing. Gawd, she was fabulous! She was my advocate, my moral support, emotional support, she researched a plant based diet and started coming up with very appetizing dishes that are heart healthy for me.

I'm improving. We're stuck in winter here, so I walked the treadmill this evening, this time at 2.5 mph for .66 miles. Yesterday, walked the neighborhood about 3 miles. Feel a little light headed if I exert due to the BP meds and blood thinners, but feeling pretty normal in general. Just a little fatigue in the leg muscles. Lost a lot of muscle mass!

Reactions: DonH50

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yeah, my legs were on fire post op. valve replacement. don't overdo it with the exercise. just try to relax.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
All the best on your recovery. Yours is a cautionary tail for all to listen to your body. If it’s ’not right’, stop and think and not be afraid to ask for help.

I find my 60+ year old body telling me things but my 25 yr old brain won’t listen.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Frankly, at age 79, I felt that I was past that 40-60 window where most heart attacks happen. Just because one takes 10,000 IU of vitamin E every day along with 25 other vitamins, does not garantee health. I'd always had historically excellent health. Last year, my wife said she thought I'd live to 120. LOL.

I am feeling better and a little more energetic today. The diesel mechanic finished working on my excavator this morning ($1270) and I hopped into the machine and tried it out for a bit. Other than a little weakness in the legs and arms (feeling like anemic), I felt pretty normal.

I've an April 2 appointment for the first cardio rehab consultation and look forward to exercising again.

Reactions: Gregadd and DonH50

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Heck of a journey. Glad your cleared for heavy bass music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing