Isolation for subwoofers

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I've got a pair of JL Audio e-110's on the way to complement ATC SCM 19A actives and am looking at acoustically and cosmetically better ways to get them off a medium shag carpet (over concrete) than the stock feet. From what I can tell, and ruling out spikes, there are isolation feet (SVS), isolation stands (IsoAcoustics), isolation pucks (IsoAcoustics) and isolation pads (Auralex, Ultimate Support, Primacoustic). All of them get very good reviews from users. Crutchfield (U.S.) carries many of these and likes the Auralex Sub-Dude. Others prefer the three-layer Auralex ProPad or similar models from other companies, although they are narrower (7.5-9"). Size is a consideration. The e-110s are 13.5" wide and 16.5" deep. It's not necessary to cover the whole bottom, but OTOH cosmetically I prefer it to look decent if smaller while not having a pad sticking out if larger, at least in the long run (e.g., the Sub-Dude is 15x15, so would want to cut it down eventually). The range of heights is 1" (Sub-Dude) to 4" (IsoAcoustics). Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences? Thanks,

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
i use 4 still point ultra 5's under my Marten subwoofer and was shocked at the improvement .......

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
That their exorbitant price aside, how did you differentiate between the effects of getting your speakers off the floor and what the Ultra 5's do?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
i use 4 still point ultra 5's under my Marten subwoofer and was shocked at the improvement .......

put an auralex platform and it will get better again :D A lot better than Stillpoints alone. trouble is they are too cheap for most audiophiles to take seriously. especially here at worlds most expensive forum :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
put an auralex platform and it will get better again :D A lot better than Stillpoints alone. trouble is they are too cheap for most audiophiles to take seriously. especially here at worlds most expensive forum :cool:

Crazy...but i use Auralex largest isolation platform...and then place the sub on top of Ultra 5s on top of the Auralex! The Auralex separated sub from floor beautifully...and Ultra 5s help tighten the bass notes.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
IMO, IsoAcoustics are better than Auralex foam pads, I have both.

All IsoAcoustics products work the same way, just depends on what form factor works best for your application.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
IMG_1980.jpg

I'm monkeying around with some SVS SB-16 ULTRA subs with the 16" woofers and 8" voice coils.... Lots of sub for only $2000 each delivered! They weigh 122lbs!

16-Ultra-Exploeded-v1.2_49283f70-9222-4151-94b4-b6dd08d87b1b.jpg

I have Shun Mook "Giant Diamond Resonators" under both subs.
When I put the GDR's under the subs I noted a definite lack of chuff or puff with bass notes (probably room induced) and a more musical bass representation.

Instead of a buffet of bass the bass became more tune full and multi toned verses the one tone bass.
Again not noting any fault with the subs, you just have to mess with subs till you get them dialed into your room.

The SVS subs have an app for smart phones that makes them great to dial in from your listening seat.

My point is the Shun Mook aided in my dial in because I think they are managing the sub cabinet better than without them.

Also the MBL 101E MK2 speakers have great bass (don't need a sub) so the dial in becomes even more critical to get right.

A work in progress, but have heard some very nice integration so far.

Also subs can be very musically dependent, so far I haven't gotten them to work with Michael Jackson's "Thriller". The bass notes via 15ips tape is just too powerful and the sound is better with no sub. As I said a work in progress.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

All IsoAcoustics products work the same way, just depends on what form factor works best for your application.

I have just sent IsoAcoustics an email as their calculator was not able to figure out how to configure an isolation system for the Velodyne DD18+. Very curious to learn what they say...not so much about the actual isolation as about height/angle of placement which they seem to suggest would be adjusted for listening position.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Have you found that their more expensive Aperta models make a noticeable difference over the standard ones? I’m familiar with the latter, which on 4” wood blocks are under Quad 12L actives on my desktop.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I have just sent IsoAcoustics an email as their calculator was not able to figure out how to configure an isolation system for the Velodyne DD18+. Very curious to learn what they say...not so much about the actual isolation as about height/angle of placement which they seem to suggest would be adjusted for listening position.

I’m also interested in the advantages or not of angling subs up more toward the ear. My main 2-way speakers are not; the midpoint between the drivers is about ear height by speaker size.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Have you found that their more expensive Aperta models make a noticeable difference over the standard ones? I’m familiar with the latter, which on 4” wood blocks are under Quad 12L actives on my desktop.

I'm not sure but I do plan on using the Gaia footers on the speakers I'm developing and I use the standard sub stands now, with 2 per side as they are kinda small. Talking to the owner, he said all Iso products use the same basic tech, so it's just form factor that's the difference.

LL21, I think the customizable heavy-duty aluminum stands would be the way to go but it's good to ask.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not sure but I do plan on using the Gaia footers on the speakers I'm developing and I use the standard sub stands now, with 2 per side as they are kinda small. Talking to the owner, he said all Iso products use the same basic tech, so it's just form factor that's the difference.

LL21, I think the customizable heavy-duty aluminum stands would be the way to go but it's good to ask.

thanks!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Hi Dave,

Just bought the "iso puck" and installed between my speaker stand and my Pulsar monitor. Works very well. And at $30 per puck, a no brainer IMO.

dude

PS: Installed an Auralex Sube Dude II under my REL sub yesterday. Another home run and again very affordable.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

The Aperta are their aluminum stands, plus whatever they do with the material for custom jobs. They have a writeup on their site about the difference with the standard, but give short shrift to sonic differences, merely alluding at the end that stiffer has benefits.

Whether standard or Aperta, what worries me a bit is putting an 7.8” x 10” stand under 13.5” x 16.5” subs, but that’s what they have pictured on their site and what their online calculator prescibes for the e110. It may be a matter of their trying to make fewer multipurpse models than taking on too many. To their benefit, the stands top rubber pieces do have effective suction. I also wrote them about the relative sizing.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Another option I had forgotten about are Herbie’s loudspeaker feet, the Giant Fat Gliders in particular. I use them under the ATC’s and they immediately cleared up the sound a lot. Set up guru Jim Simth uses them a lot on consults. http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Reactions: scericson

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I asked the Auralex the difference between the subdude and Gramma. The answer: “The MDF board used in the construction is thicker with the SubDude. And with the GRAMMA the fabric used is a little tougher, assuming is might be used for a guitar amp for a live show.”

Isoacoustics suggested either pucks or aluminum modular stands. I’ve ordered the SVS iso feet, which have a 45 day trial period, and will consider what stands Isoacoustics suggests.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing