Is Your Loudspeaker Perfect For You?

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I love my speakers. The only thing I would ask of them that they cannot provide is scale.
Scale for full symphonic orchestra and scale for a rock band. Small scale acoustic sounds live. My system is in most ways the opposite of my friends systems. Single driver low power purist approach. My friends all have multiple driver speaker - high power. They tend to find fault with their own systems and ask me for advice. My advice is that unless you want to admit that you married the wrong woman, find the virtue in what you have. I know these systems well enough to say that they each have wonderful virtues. Perfect?
As I see it there are two ways to understand perfect.
There is the concept of perfect which is the ever elusive unattainable ideal.
And then there is this…….I draw a round figure on paper. Is it a perfect circle? Hardly. What is it then? It is a perfect whatever it is. And that is way things are and how I chose to approach life.
But then there is the scale of ZZ Top live.
The older I get, the deeper my love for my wife gets and my eye doesn’t even want to wander. It’s all the same thing.
I must love my wife as I let her choose the loudspeakers. When the dealer told her the price she didn’t even blink, paid the bill and went for lunch. We didn’t have to go very far.
IMG_0549.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What ..! Your wife like those? mine hate the look of horns , any and all ...

Regards

this are Bill’s moved back to the wall. As WAF as speakers can get

0AE0592D-CA26-44C9-9D1A-E679DDD046EA.jpeg

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
i think they are great for WAF and Bill’s wife likes their looks. They are light so can be taken back when wife is on the room and pulled forward for serious listening easily. I have also heard them in corners. Only thing is maybe wall paint etc needs to be adjusted to suit their white colour which it does in Bill’s room maybe not in the below one

for me the price is the issue, it requires a minimum of AER BD4 to get it singing, and the vyger red sparrow, Mayer electronics etc. it can sound awful till it sounds great and is the most sensitive I have heard to imperfect set up and bad recordings View attachment 124250
My wife thinks they are just ugly. While I don’t think they are beautiful I am more practical. If they do what you need then looks can be overlooked. So the Pnoe scale big?
I mean, my speakers will play anything and loud enough but the illusion of scale is limited. Jeff Day said as much about his Westminsters.
I intend to keep my speakers but upgrade everything else.
I think they are good enough to be paired with anything.

One thing I’ve found is that I have to spend enough time with an unfamiliar system to allow my brain to adjust. Then I can see its virtues. Beyond that there will always be something bigger and better. Finding that happy place for who you are is really where it’s at. There are people here with seemingly unlimited resources. That is no doubt a wonderful problem to have but very much a problem just the same. Where to stop?
Knowing where to stop is the most difficult thing of all. For artists and audiophiles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes Scale is difficult , playing loud not so much ..!
I also agree. I found elements of scale in 3 instances:

- Genesis Ones: effortless scale relative to most anything else I have heard; concertos had a graceful power to them in the way live music does not sound like a volume knob being turned way up. Its just live music. I heard electric guitar, drums, band where it felt at a similar sense of standing by the stage...no not the same by still some margin, but I certainly recall thinking that the Genesis Ones made big Wilsons seem more like a Watt Puppy/Sasha.

- Avantgarde Trio G3: In an open plan volumetric space perhaps 50' wide by 36' deep by 12' or so...that jazz was shockingly at ease filling that room

- Rockport Arrakis: relative to the Genesis Ones which made the big Wilsons seem like Sashas...I thought the Arrakis made the big Wilsons sound more like a Sashsa/Maxx

Interestingly, what I have enjoyed discovering over time in terms of scale is that big subs operating below 40hz do add a sense of scale not in terms of making anything the main speakers are doing sound bigger...but they do make the sound scale feel much much more real, where the piano sounds bolted to your living room floor real...and that gives a similar sensation to scale because the sound becomes much more imposing, immersive, more 'come to life'.

Thus my very careful exploration is whether substantially greater air displacement with far far lower distortion below 38hz will allow the XLFs to breathe and expand and contract even more and give that much greater a sense of foundation (so not more scale as in size like a Genesis, but more imposing, surrounding, and effortlessly real which the Genesis can do).

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I also agree. I found elements of scale in 3 instances:

- Genesis Ones: effortless scale relative to most anything else I have heard; concertos had a graceful power to them in the way live music does not sound like a volume knob being turned way up. Its just live music. I heard electric guitar, drums, band where it felt at a similar sense of standing by the stage...no not the same by still some margin, but I certainly recall thinking that the Genesis Ones made big Wilsons seem more like a Watt Puppy/Sasha.

- Avantgarde Trio G3: In an open plan volumetric space perhaps 50' wide by 36' deep by 12' or so...that jazz was shockingly at ease filling that room

- Rockport Arrakis: relative to the Genesis Ones which made the big Wilsons seem like Sashas...I thought the Arrakis made the big Wilsons sound more like a Sashsa/Maxx

Interestingly, what I have enjoyed discovering over time in terms of scale is that big subs operating below 40hz do add a sense of scale not in terms of making anything the main speakers are doing sound bigger...but they do make the sound scale feel much much more real, where the piano sounds bolted to your living room floor real...and that gives a similar sensation to scale because the sound becomes much more imposing, immersive, more 'come to life'.

Thus my very careful exploration is whether substantially greater air displacement with far far lower distortion below 38hz will allow the XLFs to breathe and expand and contract even more and give that much greater a sense of foundation (so not more scale as in size like a Genesis, but more imposing, surrounding, and effortlessly real which the Genesis can do).
Lol, thank you. First I will need to build a larger house!

• Haha
Reactions: AudioHR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So the Pnoe scale big?
Massive. They have the largest dynamic range by far of any speaker due to lack of crossover. Therefore in an orchestra when things start rising and go up and loud, it goes on forever. After that if you play the same music on a multi cross overed speaker it will sound compressed. This actually comes across in the video on that Beethoven 7th and Scheherazade, you can try comparing those to other videos I have recorded which are all in the “large scale” playlist on my channel and these two are making other videos sound as if the stage and swells are compressed. That is the correct in room representation. And the scale will vary as per the recording.

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Massive. They have the largest dynamic range by far of any speaker due to lack of crossover. Therefore in an orchestra when things start rising and go up and loud, it goes on forever. After that if you play the same music on a multi cross overed speaker it will sound compressed. This actually comes across in the video on that Beethoven 7th and Scheherazade, you can try comparing those to other videos I have recorded which are all in the “large scale” playlist on my channel and these two are making other videos sound as if the stage and swells are compressed. That is the correct in room representation. And the scale will vary as per the recording.
IMG_2464.jpeg

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I was listening to Scheherazade just last night. I have the AP 45rpm of the Reiner/Living Stereo.
I listen to YouTube on my television. It has a built in stereo with forward firing speakers. Things that are well recorded actually sound pretty good. Midfi. I have no way to listen to YouTube through headphones. Recordings made of a stereo on a phone are listenable as a curiosity but the subtleties are lost. They actually sound more immediate with greater information when played on my phone.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can record yours and play back both through YouTube to compare

Reactions: MRubey

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love my speakers. The only thing I would ask of them that they cannot provide is scale.
Scale for full symphonic orchestra and scale for a rock band. Small scale acoustic sounds live. My system is in most ways the opposite of my friends systems. Single driver low power purist approach. My friends all have multiple driver speaker - high power. They tend to find fault with their own systems and ask me for advice. My advice is that unless you want to admit that you married the wrong woman, find the virtue in what you have. I know these systems well enough to say that they each have wonderful virtues. Perfect?
As I see it there are two ways to understand perfect.
There is the concept of perfect which is the ever elusive unattainable ideal.
And then there is this…….I draw a round figure on paper. Is it a perfect circle? Hardly. What is it then? It is a perfect whatever it is. And that is way things are and how I chose to approach life.
But then there is the scale of ZZ Top live.
The older I get, the deeper my love for my wife gets and my eye doesn’t even want to wander. It’s all the same thing.
No single driver, amazing emtional coaxspeaker can do everything from metal to orchestra at high levels. They don't cost a lot of money, just listen to them if you have the opportunity, my tip. vestlyd v15"c. pdp_c.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’ll do that. Thank you.
Santa brought me a microphone that couples with its own software, so it’s been getting better.
My recording is with iPhone 11

Reactions: gian60 and MRubey

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They look like something that came down from a galaxy far , far away, ready to gobble up humans and small dogs. :eek:

that’s why he has 4 cats

• Haha
Reactions: AudioHR and Lagonda

Republicoftexas69

IMG_0495.jpg
Perfect for our small listening space and my wife could care less. Music is not her thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing