Is this 'GOLD CD' of Bach Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould 1981) any better?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a tape (actually 2 reels 15ips 2 track) of the 1955 Gould Goldberg Variations. It is a dub from a European engineer's copy of the CBS distribution master. Don't have his 1981 redo. Critics are mixed on which they prefer in terms of performance. I'll give the tapes a listen today. Larry
Wow! Thank you!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a tape (actually 2 reels 15ips 2 track) of the 1955 Gould Goldberg Variations. It is a dub from a European engineer's copy of the CBS distribution master. Don't have his 1981 redo. Critics are mixed on which they prefer in terms of performance. I'll give the tapes a listen today. Larry
Thank you again. For very few people, the 1981 Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations is a great album and a test track. For me, they are both. And thus, I genuinely enjoy listening to it quite a lot. So the idea that [maybe] the original 1/4" tapes remastered in 2022 at 24/96 is better would be a lot of fun to hear.

But interestingly, I have not found ONE review that actually speaks of the quality of the remastering...only the numerous takes of the entire piece and how it helps shape one's understanding of Gould's interpretation...and for those who would know, also allows people to appreciate how polished and prepared Gould was in the studio where it appears he did far fewer takes than others.

Reactions: astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I played my GG tape of the 1955 Goldberg Variations. Sonics are quite good for the 1955 mono recording, though definitely not at the modern standard like my other Goldberg Variations tape (Ito Ema's wonderful, though less dynamic and eccentric performance that Todd Garfinkle did on his MA Recordings label in 1994). The GG tape sounds much better than vinyl from Columbia, and with a much lower background vinyl noise level gives a greater sense of the dynamic range of Gould's playing. I also have the Zenph recreation of the recording on SACD, but currently my digital system is offline so I can't do a comparison with the tape. I remember being quite impressed when I first played the SACD many years ago. From a review by the NYT in 2007 the recording was made on a Yamaha Grand with a special Disklavier mechanism. Not sure which iteration of the Disklavier mechanism was used.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I played my GG tape of the 1955 Goldberg Variations. Sonics are quite good for the 1955 mono recording, though definitely not at the modern standard like my other Goldberg Variations tape (Ito Ema's wonderful, though less dynamic and eccentric performance that Todd Garfinkle did on his MA Recordings label in 1994). The GG tape sounds much better than vinyl from Columbia, and with a much lower background vinyl noise level gives a greater sense of the dynamic range of Gould's playing. I also have the Zenph recreation of the recording on SACD, but currently my digital system is offline so I can't do a comparison with the tape. I remember being quite impressed when I first played the SACD many years ago. From a review by the NYT in 2007 the recording was made on a Yamaha Grand with a special Disklavier mechanism. Not sure which iteration of the Disklavier mechanism was used.

Larry
Thank you for going thru the trouble and writing it up! This is helpful...I also have the Zenph which I prefer to the original 1955 (mainly due to the noise/hiss of the original). I do not listen to it too frequently preferring the 1981.

I will try to find anything more on the 1981 remastering from the original analog tapes which just came out in this release. I am a big fan of this particular work by Gould, so if a better quality version, then may well get it.

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
I prefer the 1981 recording to the 1955, which makes me unusual. I don't even mind the humming on the Sony CD, the trick is to hum yourself and enjoy it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I prefer the 1981 recording to the 1955, which makes me unusual. I don't even mind the humming on the Sony CD, the trick is to hum yourself and enjoy it!
So do I. I think the 1955 is very very good technically. The 1981 is original. While some may love while others not so much, I do feel his 1981 original interpretation is rooted in a fundamentally sound way and that the piece 'makes good sense' the way he presents it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing