Is it worth buying an SACD player?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Still looking for a reason why we do not have a simple way of carrying SACD rips like we do with CD's ... Dreaming about a system where we insert a SACD and we get a DSF file!

Is it illegal to carry rips for private use?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Still looking for a reason why we do not have a simple way of carrying SACD rips like we do with CD's ... Dreaming about a system where we insert a SACD and we get a DSF file!

Wasn’t there an Oppo hack to do just that?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The Oppo hack is not a simple way. Compare with dbPoweramp, for example. After a two minute install all we do is:

How do I use dBpoweramp?

1. Click on the dBpoweramp CD Ripper icon to start the program. ...
  2. Insert the CD you want to rip in your drive. ...
  3. Select the format you want to rip to. ...
  4. Specify where you want the ripped files to go on your hard drive. ...
  5. Check the Album Art section at the bottom of the screen. ...
  6. Now you're ready to rip the CD.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The basic procedure with Oppos is the same as it is with all the other options but easier and more consistent. Is it faster? I don't know but my Oppos have been reliable.
???

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
  1. Click on the dBpoweramp CD Ripper icon to start the program. ...
  2. Insert the CD you want to rip in your drive. ...
  3. Select the format you want to rip to. ...
  4. Specify where you want the ripped files to go on your hard drive. ...
  5. Check the Album Art section at the bottom of the screen. ...
  6. Now you're ready to rip the CD.
1. Insert the disc in the Oppo......
2. Click on the SACDExtractGUI icon or executable file to start the program.....
3. Select where you want the ripped files to go to on your hard drive.....*
4. Select the format you want to rip to.......*
5. Hit "Run" and it rips.
Most player/streamer programs will add the album art.

* If you select the same options every time (as I do), you can skip these steps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
1. Insert the disc in the Oppo......
2. Click on the SACDExtractGUI icon or executable file to start the program.....
3. Select where you want the ripped files to go to on your hard drive.....*
4. Select the format you want to rip to.......*
5. Hit "Run" and it rips.
Most player/streamer programs will add the album art.

* If you select the same options every time (as I do), you can skip these steps.

But only after you installed it : https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/down-the-rabbit-hole-of-sacd-ripping-and-dsd-extraction/ :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Playback Design Dreams Series is my Vote: Fatigue Free Listening and musical at real-world pricing.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I use the older system of a hacked Play Station 3 which has worked for many years. I bought an Oppo 105, which I use to play bluray movies, but it acts as a backup for my PS3. Basically a two step process. The PS3 creates .iso files from the SACD. Then I use the free Sonore software to create a .dsf file to play on my computer. I actually run the .iso file through the Sonore twice, once to create a stereo file and the second time to create a multichannel file (for those SACD discs that have both). If you create a lot of .iso files from a SACD collection, Sonore will do a batch creation for stereo or mch. Sonore uses the same file names for the stereo and mch files, so I do one batch, rename them, and then do the second batch.

I really like the sound of the SACD files, usually DSD64, through my Lampi Horizon. It will upsample to DSD512 if you want.

Larry

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing